• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest announced (Re-imagined by The Odd Gentlemen) 

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom developer The Odd Gentlemen are producing the new King’s Quest game. It is a fully “reimagined” take on the original series, according to Activision. The publisher promises that The Odd Gentlemen comprises a number of fans of the King’s Quest franchise. The studio intends to capture the same combination of difficult puzzles and engaging narrative as the originals. The adventure title is due out in 2015 for unspecified platforms — although the company notes it will release its software on Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Steam.

“Sierra’s goal is to find and work with gifted up-and-coming indie developers working on their own amazing projects or who are passionate about working on great Sierra IP,” Sierra director of external development said. “We’re in talks with a large number of other indie devs, and we can’t wait to share more details with fans in the near future.”

So Sierra is an Indie platform which is a decent move by Activision IMO.
Good alternative than sounding like B-tier.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I agree, good move. Now show the screenshots, everybody wants to see what a “re-imagination” is

Roger, the time for a return is now Smile

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do hope they dare to take a bit more liberties from the source material than what Larry Reloaded ended up taking. There was so much lost potential because they followed the old game so closely.

I don’t mean that the series should be taken away from the lighthearted, fairy tale based world, but it would be nice if they could do something more with the structure.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

I hope they don’t take too much artistic liberty, either though. I don’t think some quirky “indie” style would work for the series. Of course it would work as a game, but it would be a waste of the licence, in my opinion.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Re-imagination huh? $20 they will give it a modern day realistic setting.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

It was quoted in Eurogamer that the game would revolve around King Graham telling stories of his adventures to his grand-daughter.  From a narrative standpoint, that sounds about perfect—I could see them doing the game as a kind of narrated flashback, with “embellished” parts of the story that make it seem even more fantastical.  It could be a very fitting approach if done right.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Oscar - 12 August 2014 10:45 AM

Re-imagination huh? $20 they will give it a modern day realistic setting.

Odd Gentlemen’s pitch to Activision:
“You are King Graham of Daventree, leader of a hacker group based in New York targeting corporations harming the environment. The evil cyberwizard Mordack of DestructCorp has kidnapped your daughter Princess Rosella’s facebook profile and threatens the destruction of Daventree’s central park under the public guise of Rosella herself! Can you stop him? Find out in King’s Quest IX: To Bluesnarf is FUBAR

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

The official press release is out on joystiq.com

Here’s an excerpt:

“King’s Quest is a fully reimagined version of the fan-favorite Sierra game fit for both the old and new generation of King’s Quest players. Huge fans of the original King’s Quest series, The Odd Gentlemen are crafting a charming new adventure with an awe-inspiring art style, engaging puzzles, and a wondrous interactive narrative brimming with humor. In the new story, King Graham – revered as the greatest adventurer to ever live – shares his life’s adventures with his curious granddaughter, Gwendolyn. It is through these tales that Gwendolyn discovers the true greatness of her grandfather. King’s Quest is expected to make its heralded return in 2015.”

The phrase “interactive narrative” terrifies me.  Let’s hope “engaging puzzles” trumps it.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Lambonius - 12 August 2014 10:55 AM

It was quoted in Eurogamer that the game would revolve around King Graham telling stories of his adventures to his grand-daughter.

Nice.

Back when Telltale had the KQ license, I thought that the period of time between KQ2 and KQ3 would be a great setting for new games. There’s 17 empty years there where you could come up with new stories without encroaching on the existing games or getting fans’ panties in a bunch over canon.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-08-16

PM

I really hope these wont be episodic games but the way it is set up it sounds like it might be. Telling stories to a granddaughter sounds like a way to make 5 episodic small chunks of a game in 5 different settings. I almost wish they would have let infamous quests do their kingdom of sorrow game but oh well guess we will have to wait and see. Hopefully the telling stories is just a way to get a young king graham adventuring in a full game again.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

zazzaro - 12 August 2014 12:09 PM

Hopefully the telling stories is just a way to get a young king graham adventuring in a full game again.

I suspect this is the driving reason behind that narrative choice.  If it was going to be an episodic series, they’d have likely said so in the press release.  They’d reveal that before they revealed what the narrative was going to be like.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Hopefully it feels like King’s Quest. I don’t think fans will be happy if the game comes out and it’s more like Brothers or Limbo or Telltale than the actual source material. This is a series whose fanbase trashed King’s Quest VII for being too accessible!

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

thejobloshow - 12 August 2014 12:31 PM

This is a series whose fanbase trashed King’s Quest VII for being too accessible!

Also for its horribly written story and terrible, irritating characters.  Wink

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

YAHOOOOOO!!!!! King’s Quest is back baby!!!!

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

I’ve only seen videos of The Odd Gentlemen’s other games, is there reason to believe they’re capable of something actually resembling an adventure game?  Isn’t their thing more level-based puzzler-ish?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

re-imagining = it wont be a traditional point and click game, id wager.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top