• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyCharophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The OTHER Secret of Monkey Island

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

RockNFknRoll - 23 July 2014 02:30 PM

Consider the notion that a lot of these pieces of “evidence” are simply jokes in a comedy game?

It serves Ron very well to pretend that he has a grand secret he’s held onto from the beginning. In the commentary of the special edition MI2 ending, you can hear them clearly making fun of the idea that there was a profound “truth” to the ending. They were just tacking on “twists” because they were silly and satirical and misdirected people. They love that fans come up with elaborate theories when they were just goofing around. I’m sure Ron could come up with a great MI3 that added to the story, but again, this isn’t The Matrix. I love the idea that there is a huge underlying concept, but they were just as likely making it up as they went along.

THIS.

I bet Ron Gilbert laughs to himself every time he comes across another intricate fan theory trying to tie together all the “evidence” of the grand machinations behind the story of an absurdist comedy game he made 25 years ago.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I’m sure Ron could come up with a great MI3 that added to the story, but again, this isn’t The Matrix.

Thank god for that!

On the ending, I think it’s better thought out than you imply. Why have the part with Guybrush’s parents? Why have Big Whoop introduced from the start? If they were just “goofing off” they didn’t need to include those things, just the ending.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Zifnab - 23 July 2014 08:54 PM

I’m sure Ron could come up with a great MI3 that added to the story, but again, this isn’t The Matrix.

Thank god for that!

On the ending, I think it’s better thought out than you imply. Why have the part with Guybrush’s parents? Why have Big Whoop introduced from the start? If they were just “goofing off” they didn’t need to include those things, just the ending.

Big Whoop is the central plot device. It’s what motivates the characters, and treasure hunting is standard fare pirate stuff.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Big Whoop is what’s knows “The MacGuffin”.

Bt

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

RockNFknRoll - 23 July 2014 09:14 PM

Big Whoop is the central plot device. It’s what motivates the characters, and treasure hunting is standard fare pirate stuff.

I don’t know if it implies anything about ending, but don’t forget that since resurrection of LeChuck Guybrush searches for Whoop because voodoo lady told him that it takes him to another dimension and saves him from LeChuck. Guybrush wouldn’t have time for searching any old treasure when LeChuck is on his heels. It’s still possible though that whole zombie LeChuck is late addition to game’s design though.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

garbo - 24 July 2014 12:06 AM
RockNFknRoll - 23 July 2014 09:14 PM

I don’t know if it implies anything about ending, but don’t forget that since resurrection of LeChuck Guybrush searches for Whoop because voodoo lady told him that it takes him to another dimension and saves him from LeChuck. Guybrush wouldn’t have time for searching any old treasure when LeChuck is on his heels. It’s still possible though that whole zombie LeChuck is late addition to game’s design though.

I’m not saying it was designed late in the game. I’m just saying that there’s no “theory” that’s necessarily needed beyond what the game plainly gives you. The creators say themselves that at the end of the game, they kept throwing in more and more twists just for fun. All I’m saying is OP’s theory is silly and assuming that every throwaway line ties in perfectly with a grand pre-planned theory could quite easily be overestimating the intentions of Ron Gilbert at the time.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but Ron once said on Grumpy Gamer comments that Monkey Island 3 was planed for possible 1993. release, and when he left they switched to Day of the Tentacle. Why?

Opposite to Sierra Lucasfilm wasn’t so keen on quickly making sequels, even less series, and we would have had series of 3 games in such a short time span. It all points out that it was planned trilogy, but when Gilbert left they couldn’t finish it.
Later, CMI and EMI were just milking a cow and didn’t have any connection with original games.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bogi - 24 July 2014 03:51 AM

I’m not saying it isn’t possible, but Ron once said on Grumpy Gamer comments that Monkey Island 3 was planed for possible 1993. release, and when he left they switched to Day of the Tentacle.

Does not mean that he had an actual plan or plot for MI3. If he’d been given the green light on MI3, his initial thought could still have been “Crap, how am I going to continue after that ending?”.

I’m still waiting for proof that it wasn’t just a troll ending that MI2 had. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Yeah, I heavily dislike the ending because it’s impossible to make heads or tails of it. And it wasn’t funny to me, actually it felt quite serious. Monkey Island 2 overall was the most serious of the bunch and pretty somber in places. No theory regarding the ending is free of heavy contradiction or speculation.
While the ending of Still Life was also very unsatisfying as far as I’m aware of, at least the game gave the players enough to reach a logical conclusion to the mystery on their own.

Dreamfall is also a pretty big offender as far as endings go to me. At least the sequel is just around the corner by now…we only needed to wait 8 years for it. Meh

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

ozzie - 24 July 2014 07:04 AM

Yeah, I heavily dislike the ending because it’s impossible to make heads or tails of it.

It’s really not. It’s no more impossible than the end to Fight Club or Mulholland Drive. Everyone in the thread knows what the ending means, but it’s fun to speculate.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 24 July 2014 07:53 PM

Yeah, I heavily dislike the ending because it’s impossible to make heads or tails of it.

It’s really not. It’s no more impossible than the end to Fight Club or Mulholland Drive. Everyone in the thread knows what the ending means

Like Ozzie I have always had trouble making heads or tails of the ending, and it has always felt more like a Non Sequitur ending to me, rather than a plot twist similar to Fight Club or Mulholland Drive.

but it’s fun to speculate.

It sure is.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Iznogood - 24 July 2014 09:21 PM

It’s really not. It’s no more impossible than the end to Fight Club or Mulholland Drive. Everyone in the thread knows what the ending means

Like Ozzie I have always had trouble making heads or tails of the ending, and it has always felt more like a Non Sequitur ending to me, rather than a plot twist similar to Fight Club or Mulholland Drive.

Have you played it more than once? It felt like that the first time for me too, mainly because I didn’t expect Monkey Island to be the kind of game to include twists like that. On subsequent plays I found it to be a very satisfying and logical conclusion to the duology - far better than once again beating Le-Chuck and rescuing Elaine.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’ve never understood all the fuss about the MI2 ending. As a child that part where Elayne says OH MY GOD I HOPE HE DIDN’T PUT A >>>SPELL<<< ON HIM sort of explained it for me. I can see how people can still wonder at which point the spell was cast, but it honestly didn’t bother me that much at the time.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 24 July 2014 11:17 PM

Have you played it more than once? It felt like that the first time for me too, mainly because I didn’t expect Monkey Island to be the kind of game to include twists like that. On subsequent plays I found it to be a very satisfying and logical conclusion to the duology - far better than once again beating Le-Chuck and rescuing Elaine.

Twice actually, with quite a few years between each playthrough, once the original version and once the SE versions. Granted that doesn’t make me an expert on MI, but the thing about movies like Fight Club or Mulholland Drive is that you don’t have to watch them several times to understand them, and it also shouldn’t be necessary to play a game more than once to get it. So if it is meant to be a plot twist similar to Fight Club or… and not a Non Sequitur ending, then it is simply not executed as well as in ...

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

From what I remember, Fight Club’s ending was crap. One of the guys just disappears out of nowhere and you’re left going wtf?... I don’t know, I guess it wasn’t my kind of movie. I certainly don’t know how anyone can call it well executed. On the other hand, Mulholland Drive left clues leaving you constantly questioning what was real. That’s something MI2 should have done better, so I can understand claims it was a cut-paste ending.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top