• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady KestrelluckyloserrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The OTHER Secret of Monkey Island

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I can’t believe that I just now stumbled across this video:

The OTHER Secret of Monkey Island

I think this is definitely the closest someone came to the Ron Gilbert’s real Secret and if Ron doesn’t live long enough to realize his artistic vision of the third part of Monkey Island trilogy, this theory should be considered valid and eventually used to end the canon (of course only if Ron confirms that he’s taking the secret to his grave).

What do you think about this extremely interesting theory and how close it is to the real Secret?

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

To save you five minutes of listening to the world’s most nasal-voiced man: it’s a needlessly circuitous fan theory (why even mention Psychonauts? it doesn’t tie into anything) with the only relevant point that “Big Whoop” is Guybrush’ acknowledgement of the suppressed fact that his parents were murdered in an amusement park. It’s one of the least backed up fan theories I’ve seen.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I like the idea that Guybrush is an adopted orphan, but while the YouTuber talks about evidence for that, he never presents it. Also, this detail on its own doesn’t contradict the regular theory, that it’s all just the imagination of a child in a theme park.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

The evidence is presented in the background, and is the single exchange between Guybrush and LeChuck: “Where do babies come from? -In your case, the orphanage”.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Ah, right, thanks for the clarification. Smile

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I just have to say, I’m really REALLY glad this guy’s version of Monkey Island 3 never got made.  The whole game-world is a hallucination brought on by Guybrush’s PTSD after seeing his parents murdered??  Jesus fucking Christ.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Oh God, it just dawned on me why Monkey Island 2 ended the way it did… Ron pretty much got the idea for the series from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and it was probably just a nod to that. That would actually improve my opinion of that ending.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

[sacrilege ahead] I am not a big fan of Curse of Monkey Island (well, not as much a fan as I am of 1 & 2) and I really would have liked to have seen Ron Gilbert’s Monkey Island 3.  I don’t know if this guy’s theory is exactly true, but it makes for some fun speculation!

Bt

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

No it doesn’t, it’s just arbitrary. It paints nothing in a different light, it connects nothing in a surprising way, it’s just a random thing to say that’s pretty close to what’s already implied officially.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

It sheds a completely new light to the relation between Guybrush and his parents.

And when you consider his actions during the games, it has a lot of sense that he is in fact mentally ill person (child) or probably he is older, but implied traumatic events left him with a mindset of a boy.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

thejobloshow - 20 July 2014 07:45 PM

Oh God, it just dawned on me why Monkey Island 2 ended the way it did… Ron pretty much got the idea for the series from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and it was probably just a nod to that. That would actually improve my opinion of that ending.

That’s probably not far from the truth. The fact is, while MI2 has interesting talking points like how Guybrush’s parents fit in, SOMI didn’t have anything mysterious about it. Was there any real hidden “secret” in mind when the first game was made? Nobody knows, but I think it’s more likely that they came up with the idea of MI2’s ending much later in order to give some closure to the series.

If I am wrong and the idea all along was that the world of MI was conjured in the mind of a child obsessed with pirates, then I have to give Ron & Co credit for such a brilliant plan. It’s true nothing in MI is above a child’s level of imagination and understanding, but you could probably say the same of Maniac Mansion.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Everything starts to fit in its place, just like L+R=J.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Bogi - 21 July 2014 03:37 AM

It sheds a completely new light to the relation between Guybrush and his parents.

And when you consider his actions during the games, it has a lot of sense that he is in fact mentally ill person (child) or probably he is older, but implied traumatic events left him with a mindset of a boy.

This is ridiculous. Monkey Island is not some gritty dark HBO drama. That is a very modern trend to project onto a completely different era and totally different genre. Not to mention it just doesn’t add up well at all.

The “boy lost in Pirates Of The Caribbean” theory makes way more sense, and is actually just a better premise.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I think it is the “boy lost in Pirates Of The Caribbean”, but only expanded in the sense that he is maybe only boy at heart (and maybe partly in his head). When you analyze dialogues that Guybrush has and some of his doings, some of them cannot be done or conceived by a boy of only 10 or even 13.

And there is certainly some unexplained dark mystery about his parents. Lost boy in a theme park theory covers some of these aspects, but not all, there’s something (a lot) more about it, but for now only Ron knows what.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bogi - 23 July 2014 03:31 AM

but for now only Ron knows what.

I’m not so sure he does…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Bogi - 23 July 2014 03:31 AM

I think it is the “boy lost in Pirates Of The Caribbean”, but only expanded in the sense that he is maybe only boy at heart (and maybe partly in his head). When you analyze dialogues that Guybrush has and some of his doings, some of them cannot be done or conceived by a boy of only 10 or even 13.

And there is certainly some unexplained dark mystery about his parents. Lost boy in a theme park theory covers some of these aspects, but not all, there’s something (a lot) more about it, but for now only Ron knows what.

Consider the notion that a lot of these pieces of “evidence” are simply jokes in a comedy game?

It serves Ron very well to pretend that he has a grand secret he’s held onto from the beginning. In the commentary of the special edition MI2 ending, you can hear them clearly making fun of the idea that there was a profound “truth” to the ending. They were just tacking on “twists” because they were silly and satirical and misdirected people. They love that fans come up with elaborate theories when they were just goofing around. I’m sure Ron could come up with a great MI3 that added to the story, but again, this isn’t The Matrix. I love the idea that there is a huge underlying concept, but they were just as likely making it up as they went along.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top