• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Gabe

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The “Crappies” Awards

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I don’t know if it’s the worst, but The Feeble Files did almost nothing right. Puzzles are a key aspect for me, and the game went out of its way to exhibit every kind of poor puzzle design. It had an arbitrarily changing game world coupled with a main character who moved very slowly. It had randomness. It has places where you have to repeat an action several times until it works without any hint that this is the case. It had goals that made no sense even inside the game world.
Those are just the puzzle aspects. It also had a truly awful interface, unskippable arcade sequences, missing object descriptions, poorly-written characters, poorly-designed game world and awful 3D graphics.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Mikekelly - 16 July 2014 09:38 PM

Has anyone else played LL Box Office Bust besides me?

I tried it, it’s a horrible mess of a game written by a horrible mess of a screenwriter (Allen Covert). But there’s hardly anything adventurous about it. Just a collection of random stupid mini-games and lame jokes.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

It’s definitely The Walking Dead.

Non-existent puzzles, very naive setting and story, modest graphics, extremely limited space for exploration and worst of all there wasn’t any real gameplay. Just watching the cutscenes and making “choices”, that really aren’t.

Well, Indiana Jones games were made 25 and 22 yrs ago and they had 100 times more non-linearity and the real choices to make that actually influence further gameplay.

Voice acting was good though.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It really isn’t. There are far, far worse games out there then that. What you say makes it bad are simply preferences to your gaming habits. The Walking dead etc are clearly not adventures games in the tradional sense, but that doesn’t make them bad.

The adventure genre has spread out into all sorts of genre’s over the years and will continue to do so.

Also, “naive” story? Are you high? The story for TWD could of easily of been terrible in the way they handled a little girl in this horrible situation. If anything, it’s something fresh from the usual Zombie apocalypse storyline. I’d agree if you were talking about season 2 mind. So far it’s been very genric with only a couple of interesting twists and sub plots.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Come on guys, Feeble Files? Moebius? There are much worse games out there.

Even worse than Box Office Bust is Sex Olympics from 1990. Awful, awful game which should be sent to jail.

I thought 15 Days was good. Different, but good. A sequel would have been nice.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

If I think hard I’ll probably remember a worse adventure game I’ve played as a child, but The Feeble Files is easily the worst game I’ve played in the last 10 years.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 16 July 2014 10:24 AM

Edit: I can see that many have nominated Jack Orlando, which disappoints me a bit, as I picked it up at a sale recently and haven’t had a chance to play it yet, now I’m not sure if I should even bother booting it up and give it a try?

Good graphics, and a great jazz-y soundtrack, but an otherwise weak game. I suggest a walkthrough as well.
It’s not as bad as some would make it seem, but it’s definitely not good.

Personally, I won’t nominate a game for a ‘Crappy’ Award. I haven’t played any that fit the bill. I had a tendency to go for LucasArts early on, and while I played several games that I really hated (Space Quest, Myst), they don’t deserve a ‘Crappy’ just because I didn’t like them. It’s not that they were horrible (or even bad), it’s just that they were not my kind of games.

And once I had access to the internet, I kept going for “praised by almost everybody” games, and I haven’t been really disappointed yet. I don’t have the time to play bad games, I only have time to play some of the very best. Cool

So no, for me, none qualify.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Personally, I won’t nominate a game for a ‘Crappy’ Award. I haven’t played any that fit the bill.

I wish I could say the same. I used to enjoy the Leisure Suit Larry games so I gave “Box Office Bust” a try. Bad mistake on my part.

I did trade it in for what little it was worth.

Sick

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I don’t play many games that I end up not enjoying, but every now and then one jumps up. Even on recommendations I sometimes buy it and end up disliking. The inner World did that. I heard it was good and it isn’t a bad game by any stretch, but it just didn’t click with me. I never felt any drive to discover the world or its characters or to continue the story.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Iznogood - 16 July 2014 10:24 AM

I can see that many have nominated Jack Orlando, which disappoints me a bit, as I picked it up at a sale recently and haven’t had a chance to play it yet, now I’m not sure if I should even bother booting it up and give it a try?

Since you already bought it, give it a try.
Back when I played it, I actually liked the first part of it.

That’s one I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole.
From what I’ve read about it, it’s not even an adventure game, and it entirely missed the spirit of the original series.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Didn’t play that one but Magna Cum Laude is bad enough to deserve a mention here.

Another one that I tried to play but failed was Druuna Morbus Gravis, but it could get better is someone could manage the controls.

Can’t really remember any really standout bad adventure games that I pleyed so I was curious and went to see the worst reviewed here:

1/2 star:
- Ankh: Curse of the Scarab King (DS)
- Isabelle

1 star:
- Zero Critical
- Blue Ice
- Ring 2: Twilight of the Gods
- Traitors Gate 2: Cypher
- Forever Worlds
- Cold Case Files
- Lunar Deep
- Jake Hunter : Detective Chronicles
- Myst DS
- Crime Scene
- Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders
- Dead Mountaneeir’s Hotel
- Dark Secrets
- Louisiana Adventure
- Guise of the Wolf

I can’t really comment, I think I played part of Blue Ice but I didn’t any of the others Frown

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

WitchOfDoubt - 16 July 2014 09:15 PM

A lot of work goes into making a game, yes. Work also goes into paying for a game one buys. If I pay $40 for a game and feel ripped off, that price of admission should at least buy me the privilege of calling the game absolutely terrible, without having to hedge my words.

The alternative is…

“Oh, that game didn’t do it for me. Wasting time on the puzzles only to learn that their answers were absolutely nonsensical just isn’t my personal taste. But if you like weak storytelling and bad puzzles, it might work for you! Don’t let me discourage you from spending your own $40 on that game!”

$40 for an Adventure Game is quite steep! I rarely read reviews before buying a game if the description & gameplay appeals to me & out of those there’s really only 1 or 2 games I haven’t finished & 1 of them is a glitch free game well-liked by many players which absolutely bored me to tears! Out of the others, I have played quite a few that have problems that I’ve enjoyed a lot more despite them. If I’m not sure whether I will like a game I read lots of reviews & players impressions to glean any perceived faults in the game i.e. story, puzzles, graphics, gameplay, glitches etc before I part with my money but I don’t take any notice of review scores. I’ve read only 1 or 2 posts in this thread that give me enough description (about the games I don’t already know about) to make the decision ‘I really don’t want to buy that game now’ as they’re mostly based on personal opinion & taste! 

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

$40 for an adventure game seems steep now, but… back when I was playing Kyrandia, it was not only $40, but $40 in 1992 money, which is $68 now!

People sometimes say that the way games are marketed to wider audiences now has “dumbed them down,” but one huge advantage of the economies of scale that digital distribution brings is that, once you account for inflation, games have gotten MUCH cheaper.

Infocom’s Suspect cost $40 in 1984. According to this inflation calculator, that’s $92 in 2014 dollars!

Can you imagine paying the equivalent of $92 for a text adventure game? I guess that helps explain why Infocom put so much effort into gorgeous packaging and bonus items.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally, after some self reflection, I find most of the adventures I play nowdays mostly mediocre to poor, no matter what their review status might be. There are some aspects I like a lot, like art in most of the Daedalic games, but none of them are somethin I will play through more than once, some are just boring, like the Runaway series and I just stop playing them an uninstall them. FBI confidential games are something that exited my HD as soon as I installed them. I even managed to get through the first one with a help of a walkthrough, but the second one got so tedious that I just gave up on it.

There are sparks of light, of course, like Broken Age, the Walking Dead and the like, but there is a load rubbish as well. I’ve noticed that the older I get the lower my tolerance level is. 5 years ago I still prided myself on completing the games I started, but nowdays, there’s really no need for it anymore. Nothing is really forcing me to complete a game I don’t like, especially if I got them from sale. Also, nowdays I feel more open to open my mouth as well, if I feel a game is bad.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Game prices peaked on the Mac - CDROM games were sold at 99 dollars all the time. I myself bought 3do adventure games at 70 dollars all the time.

You can still get pricy adventure games - the dangaronpa 2 collector’s edition is about 60 dollars.

These are still very cool - they lots of items in the box just like adventure games of old have. However today we also have digital distribution and the price savings that go along with that.

If I got a crappy game as a collector’s edition I would probably keep it - but if it was really really terrible I’d have to sell it - and pretty quickly too.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top