• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckychrissieDale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The “Crappies” Awards

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

So, because I’m not afraid to turn this thread into a flaming war I will nominate: The Walking Dead as the worst adventure game I have ever played

Actually that isn’t quite true, I have played AG’s that are even worse!
And many seem to like it, so it is probably objectively speaking, not a real candidate for worst AG ever made.

The worst adventure game I have play, at least in the recent years and can still remember, there might have been even worse in the past, but I have luckily forgotten all about them, is: 15 Days

Seriously, this game did everything wrong IMO.

First of all they relied way too much on cutscenes, pretty much the whole story was told through cutscenes and not through the gameplay. Playing the game almost felt like watching a animated movie, and then the developers would occasionally remember “Right we are making a game and not a movie, we better pause it here and have the player perform some arbitrary tasks, before we continue the movie game”.

To make things even worse then it was not even consistent in what would happen in cutscenes and what it would have the player do. Sometimes it would have us do tedious small tasks like fetching an item from your room, before starting the cutscenes again, and sometimes these things would happen automatically in the cutscenes, sometimes it would automatically do complex things in the cutscenes that otherwise would have made excellent puzzles, and sometimes these were actually real puzzles.

Did I mention that many of the puzzles were stupid little minigames, like a hacking minigame, and the rest felt more like arbitrary obstacles then natural integrated puzzles? And just to add insult to injury, the game would crash about once per hour

Edit: I can see that many have nominated Jack Orlando, which disappoints me a bit, as I picked it up at a sale recently and haven’t had a chance to play it yet, now I’m not sure if I should even bother booting it up and give it a try?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 16 July 2014 10:24 AM

The worst adventure game I have play, at least in the recent years and can still remember, there might have been even worse in the past, but I have luckily forgotten all about them, is: 15 Days

Seriously, this game did everything wrong IMO.

Exactly , House of Tales and Martin Ganteföhr went so wrong with this one, and I guess it was paid them back, cruelly, not give to any more ags afterwards.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Qin and the Frankenstein game that starred Tim Curry

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Iznogood - 16 July 2014 10:24 AM

Edit: I can see that many have nominated Jack Orlando, which disappoints me a bit, as I picked it up at a sale recently and haven’t had a chance to play it yet, now I’m not sure if I should even bother booting it up and give it a try?

If you do, I’d recommend using a walkthrough, unless unlike me, you have more hair in your head you’re willing to rip off.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just clicked onto this thread & through the posts to realise what it’s about. As an avid adventure fan that understands all of the hard work that goes into making a game & despite finding flaws in and/or not finishing them for whatever reason do usually manage to appreciate something within just about every game! As such I hate the title of this thread & to be quite honest find it completely CRASS! It would be better entitled something like ‘Games that didn’t do it for me’ or something like that! The point being that there are at least 2 games ‘nominated’ that I really liked so therefore it’s a matter of opinion!    Heart

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

There’s a difference between not enjoying a game for what it is and a game just plain not finished or broken and still being released though. Take Alien Colonial Marines. It should never of been released the way it was.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

chrissie - 16 July 2014 03:02 PM

As such I hate the title of this thread & to be quite honest find it completely CRASS! It would be better entitled something like ‘Games that didn’t do it for me’ or something like that! The point being that there are at least 2 games ‘nominated’ that I really liked so therefore it’s a matter of opinion!    Heart

You are just being too sensitive. Some games are total mess and just not
worth the price of admission.

Its more criminal to lure Customers(with their hard earned money),into buying such
games. If someone wants to trick customers, then onus is on them and calling them Crappy is legitimate. Wink

I can recall Culpainata and Ark of time as torture in many different ways. Angry

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Sometimes crap is crap, no matter how much hard work and love went into making it.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve played a few games I didn’t enjoy or that disappointed me but I can’t find a game on the top of my head that I hated enough to nominate for the crappy award.

I guess by the time I find out I don’t like a game, I just stop playing it instead of getting annoyed at it. I also don’t really like to crap on the effort of devs who often did their best.

So yes I agree with chrissie in that a different thread listing games we didn’t enjoy or were disappointed by might be better

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I vote Moebius. Biggest disappointment from kickstarter so far.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Dag - 16 July 2014 07:39 PM

I vote Moebius. Biggest disappointment from kickstarter so far.

I think there is a problem with the thread. Per Dag, a game was a disappointment. LSL Reloaded was a Kickstarter disappointment. But it certainly wasn’t one of the worst games ever. I think the thread is meant to reveal/uncover the truly c**p/horrible concept/terrible execution/waste of bytes games ever to hit the open market. Moebius may have been terminally bad, but there are games mentioned that out-c**p it by whole orders of magnitude.

Edit: Apparently the “C” word is one of those that get flagged.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

chrissie - 16 July 2014 03:02 PM

I’ve just clicked onto this thread & through the posts to realise what it’s about. As an avid adventure fan that understands all of the hard work that goes into making a game & despite finding flaws in and/or not finishing them for whatever reason do usually manage to appreciate something within just about every game! As such I hate the title of this thread & to be quite honest find it completely CRASS! It would be better entitled something like ‘Games that didn’t do it for me’ or something like that! The point being that there are at least 2 games ‘nominated’ that I really liked so therefore it’s a matter of opinion!    Heart

A lot of work goes into making a game, yes. Work also goes into paying for a game one buys. If I pay $40 for a game and feel ripped off, that price of admission should at least buy me the privilege of calling the game absolutely terrible, without having to hedge my words.

The alternative is…

“Oh, that game didn’t do it for me. Wasting time on the puzzles only to learn that their answers were absolutely nonsensical just isn’t my personal taste. But if you like weak storytelling and bad puzzles, it might work for you! Don’t let me discourage you from spending your own $40 on that game!”

Free games don’t belong here at all for much the same reason, in my opinion, but if a person feels they’ve been ripped off, an adventure game message board is exactly the place to rant.

(I’d be hesitant to include recent titles or games from small independent developers, too. I deliberately picked old games for my choices - ones that still seem terrible to me years later, even with the benefit of hindsight and nostalgia.)

That said… is the thread title mean-spirited? Yeah, it is. That’s entirely fair. “Worst Adventure Games You’ve Ever Played” would be simpler and more to the point, seeing as we’re NEVER going to get agreements on any “awardees.”

...It would also be nice if people didn’t choose the “latest, most recent game they disliked” as their “worst game of all time.” I mean, just because a bad game is fresh in your memory doesn’t mean it’s the WORST GAME EVER. The adventure game genre is almost forty years old! Colossal Cave came out in 1976! What are the odds that all of the worst games just happened to be made within the last two years?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve played some games were all the critics hated the game and I could not agree more:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/leisure-suit-larry-box-office-bust

This game was a “Bust” in more than one way.

That’s what I had in mind for this thread.

So - happy posting!

Has anyone else played LL Box Office Bust besides me?

Sick

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

“The Scroll” is the worst game I’ve played. The story skipped around so much I couldn’t keep track of it. Whole blocks of story were just missing. The cursor was diagonally off from the hotspot it was pointing to—and it wasn’t consistent. You couldn’t expect the actual hotspot to be the same distance or direction from the cursor twice in a row so you couldn’t adjust for it. The wonky cursor was particularly awful with long conversation trees because you had to repeat the whole thing over again if you missed any of the selections. I would not have finished “The Scroll” except I was playing it along with someone and we were ROTFL making fun of all the myriad ways it was bad. Of course a lot of people have trouble even getting the game to work, but lucky us it played right away. Not without crashing though.

“The Watchmaker” gets the prize for worst voice acting though—at least in the English version. It’s the standard against which all other bad voice acting should be judged. It’s also the sort of game where you click in front of your character to move him forward and he turns around and runs in the other direction. So instead of taking a couple of steps to the right, he would turn around, run left, and laboriously circumnavigate the castle, eventually running in from the right side of the screen and reaching the spot I clicked on.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Tad - 16 July 2014 04:08 AM

Moebius.

Hammy acting, uninteresting story, poor animation and the games just broken beyond belief.

As soon as I saw this thread, I knew this was coming. Though I’m going to go with Mean Streets, the original Tex Murphy game.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top