• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Simon the Sorcerer!

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-07-15

PM

noknowncure - 16 July 2014 03:09 PM

I’ve said it before, but the specific tone of humour was everything in the Simon games.  The Woodroffe’s obviously had a deep love and appreciation of British comedy - the fantasy world setting was largely a convenient framework on which to hang the jokes - something that the German-made sequels horribly misjudged/misunderstood, leaving us with a purely cosmetic version of the ‘franchise’, with no actual substance.

Lucky for us then that I grew up on a steady diet of French and Saunders, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Red Dwarf and more (not to mention Discworld books and the likes) - growing up in Ireland (in my day at least) meant that all of our comedy was imported from Britain, so my humour is heavily formed by it.

A large concern the Woodroffes had when considering whether to do any more Simon games was to do with the style of comedy and how 4 and 5 hadn’t excelled in that area. As part of our pitch I wrote them some sample scenes and a story overview which convinced them that we knew the series, its vibe and ultimately what we were doing.

noknowncure - 16 July 2014 03:09 PM

Though it may seem otherwise to the casual observer, there was usually more to Simon’s comedy than ‘olde worlde fairytale character given an unlikely modern twist’.  If nothing else, the later instalments proved that adhering to that formula alone, isn’t enough.

Certainly, there are a lot of other factors that should be taken into account, such as the juxtaposition of the modern update (Goldilocks as a thief works, the genie as a psychiatrist does not). Don’t worry, we’re putting a lot more work into the characters than rolling a dice on a ‘random modern encounter’ table Wink

We’ll be discussing characters, story and so on over on our forum as the game is developed - you should come join us Grin

For more news on the new Simon the Sorcerer game, magic yourself over to http://www.storybeasts.com (get it? Magic, Simon - I’M HILARIOUS!)

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

All this reminds me that I would SELL MY SOUL for the “Only Fools and Horses” adventure!!

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

This really is great news. I loved the first two games, loathed the third (probably the worst adventure game I’ve ever played) and completely ignored the existence of the fourth and fifth.

Hopefully you guys will be able to pull it off, but even if you won’t reach the level of the first two I expect you to at the very least make a better game than the third ;-)

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

StoryBeast Dave - 16 July 2014 05:06 PM

A large concern the Woodroffes had when considering whether to do any more Simon games was to do with the style of comedy and how 4 and 5 hadn’t excelled in that area. As part of our pitch I wrote them some sample scenes and a story overview which convinced them that we knew the series, its vibe and ultimately what we were doing.

Sounds promising!

I don’t think the third Simon was that bad, btw., at least as far as the writing is concerned.
It’s just that the controls and graphics put many people off from the start.
At least I wouldn’t put it in the same category as number four and five, which were complete disasters, in my opinion. (Though admittedly I only got halfway through four and only played the demo of five.)

I’m not so sure if I like the idea of an older Simon, despite the fact that the players got older, too, of course.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Simon 3 needs a remake, desperately. If any of the bold and noble remakers are listening, take my advice: enough of the pointless HD upgrades of our already exalted adventure classics, let’s give StS3 a new lease of life and unleash its potential. It was a great game utterly ruined by trudging around in empty environments and ugly graphics.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Zifnab - 18 July 2014 04:35 AM

Simon 3 needs a remake, desperately. If any of the bold and noble remakers are listening, take my advice: enough of the pointless HD upgrades of our already exalted adventure classics, let’s give StS3 a new lease of life and unleash its potential. It was a great game utterly ruined by trudging around in empty environments and ugly graphics.

I couldn’t agree more!

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Bogi - 18 July 2014 06:06 AM
Zifnab - 18 July 2014 04:35 AM

I couldn’t agree more!

Me too!

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I really enjoyed StS 3D after trying it on and off for several years and hating it.  I thought the graphics were great. However, that trudging around - and I never could tell where I was going -  clunky controls, arcade sequences that had to be done, and that flipping phone booth to get around were terrible.  I liked the map system in the first Simon. If you wanted to get somewhere fast, you should just be able to clip on that spot on the map and not wait until he turns around 5 times before you get to where you want to go.  Getting the flea bitten teddy bear was brutal (I had to get a saved game).  Other than those arcade sequences, I thought the puzzles were great. I would vote for a remake of that game. I had heard that Simon 3 was 2/3 done before they scrapped it all and went for this 3D stuff - I sure wish they would have finished the game that they had started.

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

mbday630 - 18 July 2014 08:10 AM

I had heard that Simon 3 was 2/3 done before they scrapped it all and went for this 3D stuff - I sure wish they would have finished the game that they had started.

Can anyone confirm or debunk this? Or even ask the Woodroffes?

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Shnubble - 18 July 2014 08:43 AM

I had heard that Simon 3 was 2/3 done before they scrapped it all and went for this 3D stuff - I sure wish they would have finished the game that they had started.

Yep it’s correct. I believe they recycled the art for the non ag game puzzle pack.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_the_Sorcerer_series

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Thank you, jaap! Interesting. Though judging from the puzzle pack there probably wasn’t that much art done after all.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-08-11

PM

I love Simon the Sorcerer!:D That’s a great news Smile

Shadow Of Nebula is an adventure game set in science fiction world mixed with cyberpunk that tells a story of lonely star courier - Coming soon on steam - http://www.shadowofnebula.com/

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2013-05-13

PM

Shnubble - 18 July 2014 08:43 AM

2/3 of the game done sound like a bit too much. They may have used some of it for the Puzzle Pack, but I doubt that much since it doesn’t look like point ‘n click graphics at all Tongue
I’ll ask them about this.  Smile

Simon (the Sorcerer) doesn’t appreciate that you’re not following the news of his upcoming adventure!
http://www.storybeasts.com is the place to go for updates and such.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-05-29

PM

shadowofnebula - 18 July 2014 10:53 PM

I love Simon the Sorcerer!:D That’s a great news Smile

Thank you for your comments shadowofnebula, we are really excited for bringing back another Simon Game to life. And it’s because of people like you that we are going to make the best possible Simon Game that we could do.

We hope that you all enjoy it. Crazy

Simon (the Sorcerer) would really appreciate your support regarding his new upcoming adventure!
Go to www.storybeasts.com for new updates screnshots and Developer’s Blog.
Also follow us at @storybeasts

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

WrongTarget - 29 July 2014 07:06 AM

I’ll ask them about this.  Smile

Awesome!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top