• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckychrissiefurgotten

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango Remastered

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I’m sure it will look nicer and all, but I replayed it fairly recently and still maintain it holds up pretty darn well. So none of this is exactly mind-blowing stuff for me personally.

Still, I know people have issues with the controls and other people DO care about the graphics/resolution whatever, and there are people who have never played the game, so no doubt it’ll be good for them. But there’s not a whole lot of new stuff to get excited by for me- I do like the soundtrack, but not THAT much- except for the commentary.

Another thing, I assume they’ll be putting in a hint system, no? It seems one way to make adventure games more accessible to wider audience, so it’d be silly if they didn’t do it.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

A.A - 30 August 2014 10:56 PM

I’m sure it will look nicer and all, but I replayed it fairly recently and still maintain it holds up pretty darn well. So none of this is exactly mind-blowing stuff for me personally.

Still, I know people have issues with the controls and other people DO care about the graphics/resolution whatever, and there are people who have never played the game, so no doubt it’ll be good for them. But there’s not a whole lot of new stuff to get excited by for me- I do like the soundtrack, but not THAT much- except for the commentary.

Another thing, I assume they’ll be putting in a hint system, no? It seems one way to make adventure games more accessible to wider audience, so it’d be silly if they didn’t do it.

Yeah hints are commonsense.

For remastering i would love widescreen support, with original assets in HD glory.
Who doesn’t want the world of GF in more better image quality and sound??

New stuff was’nt their goal, it has to be same thing with current gen tech.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I hope they’ll be able to at least re-render the backgrounds, updating polygon counts and textural details accordingly.  I don’t want to look at HD versions of ugly 1998 renders.  If they have access to the original real-time 3D files, it should be relatively easy to touch up each screen with an appropriate amount of added detail while still keeping the original compositions intact.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

They should include every single piece of concept art on those archive discs as a bonus Smile

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

How can they achieve HD backgrounds etc using the old ones? Confused

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

aaroncarney - 31 August 2014 11:36 AM

If they have the artwork they used to render the old ones, it’s not that much work to update that artwork and rerender it in HD.

Using the already rendered old ones of course would be impossible.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2010-12-17

PM

For some reason I was under the impression that the title was more in line with a graphical “remake” (models/environments built again from scratch etc whilst keeping loyal to the original) but it seems to be ‘simpily’ (don’t get me wrong, I’m still excited) a HD port with a bit of extra stuff sprinkled in… P&C yadayada.

An analogy would be what they did with the Monkey Island 2 Special Edition. I thought it’d be like that and, like that game, if done well, it provides a really fresh but faithful way to experience the game which got me more excited tbh.

It doesn’t help that I’m sort of experiencing fatigue in regards to the current trend of releasing “HD Version"s for everything - especially when it comes to making them for the new, state of the art console which I bought and is just collecting dust. @_@

Whatever anyway. Yay more GF. Much better than nothing.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m having hard time reading Dan Dan’s texts. Not because there’s anything wrong with them, but because I keep seeing his avatar and then I unintentionally read it really fast thinking how Stan is selling it and waving his hands at the same time.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2010-12-17

PM

millenia - 01 September 2014 07:36 AM

I’m having hard time reading Dan Dan’s texts. Not because there’s anything wrong with them, but because I keep seeing his avatar and then I unintentionally read it really fast thinking how Stan is selling it and waving his hands at the same time.

You’re lucky that I can’t use this version!

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I doubt I’ll be buying this since I just replayed Grim Fandango a few years ago and it doesn’t seem like this HD Remaster is bringing anything substantial to the table. While I wasn’t expecting a huge overhaul, I was expecting more than we seem to be getting.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I was under the impression that widescreen would be a mandate from Sony, but Tim wants to keep the game 4:3 to retain the integrity of Peter Chan’s background layouts. Got to respect that.

The Making of Grim Fandango Remastered: Episode 2 focuses on them recovering the original renders of the cut-scenes…but having access to the original renders is not the same as having access to the original assets—textures, 3D files etc. If they don’t have the original assets then expect some funky-looking backgrounds, because even the uncompressed renders will be the size of postage stamps nowadays.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Grim Fandango pax panel is up, with more clarification about the nature of the project:

Currently watching it, I’m enjoying the memories of the golden days. Just don’t expect major newsworthy facts Wink

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

So the PAX panel made it sound like they do have access to the original assets (textures etc.) which is fantastic. Great panel. Love the music stuff.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TimovieMan - 31 August 2014 12:21 PM
aaroncarney - 31 August 2014 11:36 AM

If they have the artwork they used to render the old ones, it’s not that much work to update that artwork and rerender it in HD.

Using the already rendered old ones of course would be impossible.

Impossible…unfortunately that still doesn’t prevent people from doing it

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Those type of pixel-blending filters are absolutely horrid. Thankfully I don’t think that’s going to happen with Grim. The developers are far too conscious of what fans want and expect.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top