• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Open world games

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I am wondering, is it just me, or are people sick of open world games? I think it is probably my older age, that brings with it more cynicism and less patience, but I find it really difficult to play a 60+ hour open world game doing the same repetitive side quests over and over again. I would much rather have an Uncharted 2 type of experience, that is shorter but packed with a lot more variety and story. How do you guys feel about them?

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I think I’m the complete opposite to you.

I can easily get swallowed up exploring a new world. It’s probably the one type of game that I don’t get tired of at all.

That said, I tend to play each one to death, and then move on to something else.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I’m somewhere in between. I love exploring etc., but I totally agree that at some point the repetitiveness really starts getting to me, and eventually it also takes away from the immersiveness when the stuff you do and the surroundings, the people etc. start feeling very similar.

Besides, I don’t have so much time to play, anymore.

But then, running around in a disguised tube gets really frustrating, too. Especially when it’s like, “so suddenly you can’t jump over that one meter high obstacle?”

I think a lot of games have streamlined too much. At the same time, I’ve never finished a game like the Elder Scrolls.

I started rambling again, but to sum up: I’d like a game where you can explore quite a bit, but where it doesn’t mean that you totally drift off course.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2008-01-31

PM

SoccerDude28 - 28 May 2014 02:09 PM

I am wondering, is it just me, or are people sick of open world games? I think it is probably my older age, that brings with it more cynicism and less patience, but I find it really difficult to play a 60+ hour open world game doing the same repetitive side quests over and over again. I would much rather have an Uncharted 2 type of experience, that is shorter but packed with a lot more variety and story. How do you guys feel about them?

I kinda agree. For me, those open world games are getting too overwhelming and large, while gameplay and missions usually follow similar patterns. Nowadays I don’t have enough time to play all the games I’d like to play, so putting over 60 hours to one game is just too much, especially when there isn’t enough variety to keep me interested.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I don’t really agree, at least for me. Not all open-world games are 60h (see Infamous:Second Son) and most of them only get to that time stamp if you start doing all side stuff and that can get pretty boring if not well designed (usually skip those).
Now, in my opinion, the beauty of open-world games is the freedom to tackle most situations, where a corridor shooter like Uncharted usually plays the same way all the time, in a open-world game you mostly have to improvise to deal with a lot of stuff. A police escape situation in GTA can involve going around town, using a lot of weapons, changing vehicles (even flying), painting cars. In Uncharted, an espace usually involves going a straight corridor and QTEs.
The problem with most open-world games is getting the story right and it’s mostly impossible to get a story development as good as Uncharted in one.

Of course both type of games have their space, but as technology evolves, open-world games bet better and better with more options.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

SoccerDude28 - 28 May 2014 02:09 PM

I think it’s depends the title, you right that many openworld rpg repetitive as usual but
some openworld actionadventure titles like ACB offers graeatest gaming experience.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

People aint sick , infact they want more Tongue

Just in,

Watch Dogs the biggest new IP launch in the UK ever | 17th biggest launch all time. 

Last new IP to get the top spot was LA Noire another open world.

Skyrim sold nuts too.

The actual completion rate of campaigns can go as low as 30% what R* said once.

But gamers love them frequent mindless roaming fun every now and then.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yep, sales wise there is an hunger for the open world. Just look at Minecraft and the 50 million copies sold.

Good news for Watch Dogs - new IPs can sell (as long as they have a huge marketing campaign behind them Smile )

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

InFamous second son is a great example of everything I find wrong with open world games. The gameplay was superb, the traversal was amazing, but after clearing up the nth zone from DUP forces, finding the nth hidden camera, having the nth showdown, and killing the nth agent, the repetitiveness of it all sucked all the original fun out of it. I would much rather have many more unique epic encounters in the main storyline, even if the game had to lose some of its openworldliness.

wilco - 01 June 2014 10:31 AM

I don’t really agree, at least for me. Not all open-world games are 60h (see Infamous:Second Son) and most of them only get to that time stamp if you start doing all side stuff and that can get pretty boring if not well designed (usually skip those).
Now, in my opinion, the beauty of open-world games is the freedom to tackle most situations, where a corridor shooter like Uncharted usually plays the same way all the time, in a open-world game you mostly have to improvise to deal with a lot of stuff. A police escape situation in GTA can involve going around town, using a lot of weapons, changing vehicles (even flying), painting cars. In Uncharted, an espace usually involves going a straight corridor and QTEs.
The problem with most open-world games is getting the story right and it’s mostly impossible to get a story development as good as Uncharted in one.

Of course both type of games have their space, but as technology evolves, open-world games bet better and better with more options.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 02 June 2014 10:19 AM

InFamous second son is a great example of everything I find wrong with open world games. The gameplay was superb, the traversal was amazing, but after clearing up the nth zone from DUP forces, finding the nth hidden camera, having the nth showdown, and killing the nth agent, the repetitiveness of it all sucked all the original fun out of it. I would much rather have many more unique epic encounters in the main storyline, even if the game had to lose some of its openworldliness.

Not going to argue that the side missions were dull, they were badly designed (perhaps a rushed game?) but they were still optional. You could just clear out the DUP forces and do the main story stuff. That doesn’t invalidate that the game about being a superhero in a open-world city was what made the game cool.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Okay, I have to chip on this a bit. Usually the repetition comes in when you try to do the side activities. I do some of them, but usually just focus on the main storyline. That way you actually do get a similar experience as a linear game, with the main difference being that it takes place in an open world and is not comprised of individual levels broken up by cutscenes. This makes the whole thing feel more natural.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I like both open and linear worlds, and I really like a combination of both - it depends on the game.

Some games work best while on rails (especially if they focus on a main story), others work best with an open world.
Personally, I like the middle road here, where the world is reasonably open, but a suitably intracate plot still advances at a steady pace - something that BioWare pretty much nailed in its RPGs (PS:T, BG Iⅈ, KotOR, DA:O).
Going completely open with the world has a couple of pitfalls (an unfocused main story, but above all repetitiveness and ultimately tedium) that can so easily bring it down. And I’m sorry to say that Bethesda games seem really prone to this (which is why I often abandon them after 20+ hours)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Polar opposites, I love exploring big worlds. I’ll get sick of combat before I get sick of exploration (In fact, this just happened to me during Child of Light and I have yet to complete that game due to the monotonous combat).

Games like Uncharted are the absolute worst to me. Everything is spelled out for you with glowing platforms and puzzle solutions in your journal. It wants to create this seamless cinematic experience but it pads the gameplay out with repetitive combat that breaks immersion (prefer exploration over combat - remember?) and everyone showers it with praise for imitating another medium. It spoon feeds the player while trying to make him or her think they’re playing an intelligent game. It’s designed to be a hollow perishable status symbol.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Anyone try Dark Souls 2,most immersive open world experience among recent games.Only downside is falling is deadly(had enough these cant swim characters)and no qs you have to start all over from latest sp and enemies respawned.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

I love open world games. I remember playing Vice City, driving in my lambo, sun rise and awesome music from the stations. It was almost meditative for me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top