• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventures worth playing from the last five years or so

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

What did you hate about Fahrenheit? If it’s the controls, they’re a lot better in Heavy Rain (and in Beyond: Two Souls) but if it is the whole style then I guess you’re not going to like them.

Chains of Satinav has a lot less dialog than TLJ at least, it’s the fantasy world and puzzle design that are similar in my book. So you might still like it.

Though your taste seems very demanding Wink

The Walking Dead has really nothing to do with the series - except the premise of course. I personally hate zombies, I only watch zombie pieces that are comedies (like Shaun of the Dead or Fido) but I liked TWD, had to try it because of all the praise. The new Telltale game The Wolf Among us is a lot better match to me though, I love that world and setting, and it has a murder mystery to solve too.

To me, the Black Mirror games gave some Gabriel Knight vibes but people usually agree that BM is not on par with GK, so if you decide to try them out, don’t go in expecting them to be as brilliant as GK.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

The Wolf Among Us sounds exactly like something I would like! I will definitely check it out, thanks! Though I’m on an old Lenovo G450 so I’ll have to check it I can run it first.

About Fahrenheit, it was definitely the whole package that I hated. I wrote a review back in the day but it’s in Spanish, otherwise I will point you to it.

Thanks again for the suggestion, I will let you know if I try Wolf.

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Hi Radiobuzz, I recognized your nickname from the old LAELA and DELAC forums I am right? Wink Although Im not very active on the forums I couldnt help to ask. Its nice to see a familiar “face” from those days.

About the topic, its hard for me to recommend based on your tastes, I remember those reviews where you hated games like Fahrenheit or Dreamfall, so you may not like TellTale games, but if youre open minded enough about their simple approach to adventuring youre in for a great experience for the story and characters. Im also on the lookout for games like Still Life which I loved and I guess one I can recommend as someone mentioned before is Black Mirror trilogy. I also enjoyed Cognition, its a great thriller with good qualities despite its flaws and since all the episodes are out, it should be an even greater experience than having to wait long months between episodes like I did. You could also give Daedlic games a go since they are one of the main forces in adventures these days. I specially enjoyed The Whispered World, A New Beginning, and the first part of Deponia brought me back to Monkey Island days, but I havent played the second and third. I also have Chains of Satinav and The Book of Unwritten Tales on my playlist, but with so mamy games coming recently its gonna be hard, but do let me know what you think if you play them. I hope it helps :-)

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I second Cognition. It’s not fully polished but it’s a really good detective type of an adventure with mostly great puzzles. It’s always hard to remember all the good titles.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

I gotta put a big plug in for Primordia, which was one of the more impressive efforts of the last few years. In terms of concept, setting, characters, and puzzles (if you like post-apoc and/or Asimov you’ll love it). I haven’t completed it yet, and baring a bit of interface bugginess (it was made in Adventure Game Studio) its one of the more engaging adventure games I’ve played in a while.

Other plugs for Machinarium and Gemini Rue.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

The amount of people who recommend games the OP has played is surprisingly large. It’s almost as though people see “what should I play” in the title and rush to suggest their favourites without reading another word.

Primordia is an awesome game, but it’s very similar in style to Resonance which the OP implied to dislike.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Antrax - 17 April 2014 06:26 AM

The amount of people who recommend games the OP has played is surprisingly large. It’s almost as though people see “what should I play” in the title and rush to suggest their favourites without reading another word.

Primordia is an awesome game, but it’s very similar in style to Resonance which the OP implied to dislie.

Umm, people are commenting on his taste and trying to give a sense how they liked some of those games. I didn’t see anyone actually plainly recommending those games OP said to have played.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

danigar - 17 April 2014 12:51 AM

Hi Radiobuzz, I recognized your nickname from the old LAELA and DELAC forums I am right? Wink Although Im not very active on the forums I couldnt help to ask. Its nice to see a familiar “face” from those days.

Hey! Yup, I’m that guy. It’s funny/flattering that you remember my reviews Smile. Do I know you from back then? What was your username? I don’t agree with disliking Fahrenheit equals disliking TellTale. I hated Fahrenheit and Dreamfall because they had no interactivity, which is not the case for TellTale. True, I wasn’t the biggest TellTale fan either, I wasn’t really a fan of their episodic format but that was only because some of their earlier games went too far for my taste in using the same resources (backgrounds, characters, sounds), however I did like The Big Cow Race a lot because it was very different from the first chapter. And for what I’ve seen so far, both The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us seem way more mature in that regard.

Thanks for pointing out Cognition, I will definitely check it out.

Just a note though, I did mention Resonance but I forgot to mention that even though I only played like the first half hour I did thought it was interesting, although I sort of abandoned it but I’m surely willing to give it a new chance with time.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I wouldn’t say that The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us are more interactive than Fahrenheit. I actually really liked Fahrenheit control scheme on the non-action parts. The left right up down QTEs were horrible but Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls really improve on the QTE, it’s much more intuitive and doesn’t interrupt the gameplay. Also, they can be played through no matter how much you suck (the outcome in Heavy Rain at least will be a bit more dire) and the easy option is actually easy (unlike in Fahrenheit). The story is also a lot better, though Fahrenheit really had potential in that too.

TWD and especially Wolf Among Us have a lot less actual gameplay than the SamnMax games for example, it’s mostly cutscene to cutscene with some action sequences, conversation and rare exploration bits. And while I really love those games I know many people don’t even consider them games because of the whole interactive movie thing.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us are more like Visual Novels really.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Well funnily enough I don’t remember what username I had, although it was probably the same one I use here. But I wasn’t very active anyway so you probably wouldn’t remember… About TellTale, well that was precisely my point, if there’s a stand out feature is the lack of interactivity, so if just a strong story doesn’t cut it, as in the case of DreamFall, then I doubt the TellTale ones will, but you should definitely give them a try anyway, who knows.

Oh and definitely you have to continue Resonance, that’s another one that I greatly enjoyed, the puzzles were great, I think some of the best and most satisfying I have come across recently.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

millenia - 17 April 2014 10:27 AM

Umm, people are commenting on his taste and trying to give a sense how they liked some of those games. I didn’t see anyone actually plainly recommending those games OP said to have played.

No, that’s what you did. I don’t want to single people out, so here’s the first time it happened in this thread, sans name:

You should look into Black Mirror 2 and 3, Resonance, Primordia, Lost Chronicles of Zezura, Cognition, Lost Horizon (this one is probably my favorite, very Fate of Atlantis ish ). Those are a few of my favorites from the last few years.

I’m sure you can read and see for yourself where it happened later on, too.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

On these threads it’s quite usual that it happens, I honestly didn’t even notice it this time, usually there’s a lot more. But at least part of them are probably just about bad memory, it’s easy to forget or miss one title in a post that lists several games. But yeah, overall I’d like that people generally paid more attention to what others are actually saying. And stated reasons why they think their suggestion is a good one.

I’m quite easy to please but still my taste is very different from some people’s and I don’t usually pay much attention to lists without arguments.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m also giving my vote to Primordia. The game is amazing, very smart and atmospheric. It’s like Beneath a Steel Sky meets Space Quest 3 and Machinarium (which is also highly recommended). I also didn’t like Resonance that much, and the games have little in common really, except for old-school graphics and the same publisher.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I disagree. Beyond the pixel-art style, both Resonance and Primordia offer puzzles with multiple solutions, harder-than-average puzzles and multiple endings. The last one is pretty superficial in both, but the game “style” is quite similar, with the exception of Resonance’s more innovative puzzle mechanics.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top