• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445nouramrfouad94

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Riddle of the Sphinx in real-time 3D, plus a new level

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2007-04-26

PM

Hello everyone!

It’s been quite a while, but I thought I’d reach out and let you know what we’ve been up to. It’s Riddle of the Sphinx’s 15th anniversary, and we’ve received so many requests both for a real-time 3d version and new game that we’re stepping out in the direction.

But we want to hear from you, whether you are interested or not in ROTS in real-time 3D and then a new game? We’re so very encouraged by the hope of funding these days through crowd-funding sites like Kickstarter - it’s given us renewed energy to get back into making games again.

We have a small portion of Riddle in Unity in real-time, and it’s gorgeous. Real-time fire, torches, water, dust as you walk, and more. We’re excited about being able to walk where no one has been able before this - into every corner, and to look up and down and all around. It’s pretty exciting!

So, are you interested at all? If so, we’re ready. We’re pretty close to launching our own Kickstarter campaign, but we wanted to hear from you first.

[ Here is the URL to the Kickstarter campaign - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jefftobler/riddle-of-the-sphinx-an-egyptian-adventure-in-real ]

Thanks for your help and it will be good to hear from all of you again :

Jeff Tobler
Developer of Riddle of the Sphinx

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

This is fantastic news, I haven’t been able to play ROTS properly because my PC doesn’t like it. I loved Omega Stone so I’ll be pledging/buying for sure.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I played Riddle of the Sphinx many years ago and liked it. Another sequel would be great, but I’m not all that interested in a remake of RotS. Will you release a 3D demo first?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Excellent news. Would love a remake and a new game, with the same feeling of exploration and lots of puzzles.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I have never played Riddle of the Sphinx (mostly due to the slideshow gameplay, by the way), but real-time 3D adventure is always a good thing in my book!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, I would also love a remake of the game!

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2007-04-26

PM

Karlok - 10 April 2014 08:03 AM

I played Riddle of the Sphinx many years ago and liked it. Another sequel would be great, but I’m not all that interested in a remake of RotS. Will you release a 3D demo first?

Yes, at some point we would be releasing a demo with the 3D engine, but that would only be if we get funded. Assuming we fund, we are planning a release next April or sooner, with a demo or Episode 1 (Giza Plateau, Gil’s tent, historical inner chambers of Great Pyramid, etc.) released this fall.

Jeff Tobler

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I bet your excited about Unity 5 then. Grin Come this summer, we’ll be working with its awesome new Real-Time Global Illumination.

Anyways, great news. Really loved the original. Looking forward to seeing how you develop it in a real-time 3d environment.

Also, please consider VR. Tongue

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Excellent news! I liked RotS a lot. BUT… mind you, Jeff, I’m not fond of episodic games. If you are not planning on making an episodic game, great and you have my support ($$$). Otherwise, I’m out.

Joined 2007-04-26

PM

UruBoo - 10 April 2014 02:39 PM

Excellent news! I liked RotS a lot. BUT… mind you, Jeff, I’m not fond of episodic games. If you are not planning on making an episodic game, great and you have my support ($$$). Otherwise, I’m out.

Excellent point, and I’m with you on that. In short, it will NOT be an episodic game. Here’s the deal. We’re trying to make it accessible to everyone. Our end goal is to fund at $200k for the whole game (peanuts for the scope of ROTS), but we are setting our campaign goal at $50k as a minimum to fund at least 25$ of development, but obviously we will be posting our stretch goals. Supporters can choose at a minimum to pledge for $10 for the key that allows them to play up to Episode 1, but others can pledge for the whole game. It will be up to the supporters as to whether they will fund the whole thing or part of it. But eventually, the whole game will be produced. Just trying to be flexible with people and still get the project done.

We’re still evaluating the campaign goal and your input is very valuable to us.

Jeff Tobler

Joined 2007-04-26

PM

Monolith - 10 April 2014 02:38 PM

I bet your excited about Unity 5 then. Grin Come this summer, we’ll be working with its awesome new Real-Time Global Illumination.

Anyways, great news. Really loved the original. Looking forward to seeing how you develop it in a real-time 3d environment.

Also, please consider VR. Tongue

Hey Monolith, yes we are currently using Unity for the environments we’re testing, but also looking at Unreal due to the advanced lighting. I like Unity so far, so it the lighting is what they say, it will be awesome!

Jeff Tobler

Joined 2007-04-26

PM

Well, if everything goes as planned, we will be going live with our Kickstarter campaign tomorrow. Karen and I want to thank all of you for being such an encouragement to us. We can’t wait for you to experience Riddle in real-time 3D! Thanks again. Smile

Jeff Tobler

Joined 2007-04-26

PM

Well, it’s official!!

The Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D 15th Anniversary Edition Kickstarter page is LIVE at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jefftobler/riddle-of-the-sphinx-an-egyptian-adventure-in-real

Hope you enjoy what we’ve put together thus far. Please spread the word and help us re-build Riddle of the Sphinx Smile

And THANK YOU all so much for your support!

Jeff, Karen, Charlie, and Christian (Riddle 3D Team)

Jeff Tobler

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2010-06-20

PM

Jeff Tobler - 22 April 2014 05:51 PM

Well, it’s official!!

The Riddle of the Sphinx real-time 3D 15th Anniversary Edition Kickstarter page is LIVE at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jefftobler/riddle-of-the-sphinx-an-egyptian-adventure-in-real

Hope you enjoy what we’ve put together thus far. Please spread the word and help us re-build Riddle of the Sphinx Smile

And THANK YOU all so much for your support!

Jeff, Karen, Charlie, and Christian (Riddle 3D Team)

You’ve got to publicize it. You can’t just rely on this forum and the people in it. If you do, believe me, it’s not going to reach its goal.

Good Luck.

P.S - why not try releasing the original game AND The Omega Stone on Steam? Put a good price on it and people will eat it up.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2014-02-01

PM

That’s a very nice Kickstarter page with lots of information and beautiful screenshots as well. I also appreciate that your funding goal is well explained and simple; 50K for the first episode or 200K for the full game (as a stretch goal). I see many Kickstarter campaigns which fail to be clear on that front.

However, I agree with TopCat that this project seems to have come out of nowhere, at least from where I stand. I mean, the original game was loved by many people. They need to know about this remake as I’m sure they are your core audience in this.

Good luck and eat well! I heard those Kickstarter campaigns can be quite draining.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TopCat - 23 April 2014 02:34 AM

You’ve got to publicize it. You can’t just rely on this forum and the people in it. If you do, believe me, it’s not going to reach its goal.

^ This.

Get the word out there, send press releases to all the major adventure gaming sites (and several mainstream ones as well), use social media, the works.
The sooner, the better. Wink
Relying on Kickstarter and a forum will get you nowhere. People won’t look for it if they don’t know it exists…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top