• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tales from the Borderlands - Telltale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I was looking for a thread for this game but couldn’t find it (I’m sure there is one but I’m missing it like always, please merge if there is one)

Anyway I was listening to the SXSW panel linked in the main page:

Some interesting tidbits:

- Telltale returns to comedy (yayy!) - dark humour - Borderlands humour
- Set after Borderlands 2 - side story adding stuff to the BL mythos
- Main characters not a gun-wielding heroes - a side character?
- 2 protagonists Reese and Fiona - story from 2 perspectives - each one tells their version of the events (No co-op)
- Greed/Backstabing/Lying - some of the main themes
- Reese is from Hyperion? (don’t know the Borderlands universe…) - special abilities - hacking; robotic arm
- Fiona ia a con artist - words are her weapon!
- Borderlands main games characters will show up - Claptrap definitely, vault hunters
- Action sequences “cinematic” (probably QTE)
- Releasing this year (mmm, lets see if it happens Smile )

- Sam and Max is not forgotten… but not working on it

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Not because I hate ttg ,but I think it shouldn’t be appropriate to be discussed at the adventure forums anymore ,and more appropriate at the general gaming section .

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

How so? They still identify as an adventure game company and this Borderlands, a series I don’t personally care about, seems to continue in the current vein of adventure style Telltale has been doing with TWD and Wolf Among Us.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

just my opinion ,yea, might be little far from truth ,I know..

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Advie - 10 March 2014 05:51 PM

Not because I hate ttg ,but I think it shouldn’t be appropriate to be discussed at the adventure forums anymore ,and more appropriate at the general gaming section .

I couldn’t agree more.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Getting a tad fed up of any thread where Telltale is mentioned up quickly descending into snide potshots.

Pan  Pan

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

And what does that tell you?

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

That certain people should just avoid Telltale threads?

This thread is not being moved to General.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

tomimt - 10 March 2014 06:11 PM

They still identify as an adventure game company

Do they? I ask that sincerely, im not sure. In their descriptions of TWD2 and the wolf among us theres no mention of the word adventure to be found on the telltale page. And i didnt watch that whole video above, but i didnt hear anybody calling it an adventure game.
I still consider their games to be in the adventure genre, but i do get the impression telltale is distancing themselves from it.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

@Dale

It’s like burying your head in the sand and pretending that bad things don’t happen around you just because you can’t see or hear them.

But I don’t have problem with that as long as I’m not the one that’s living in denial.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Please, don’t let this get turned into another boring “what is an adventure game” debate. Just because it’s set in the same universe as Borderlands it will still be similar to other Telltale games. All of those games get discussed here, why not this one? I’d class it as an interactive drama (same with TWD, TWAO, Heavy Rain etc) and in my book they belong in the same family as Adventure Games.

However, that being said… I can’t really say I’m anticipating the game much. I actually played Borderlands 1 and a tiny bit of Borderlands 2. The world is fun and everything but the story never fully dragged me in, and I think it was more to do with the gameplay, I also found it quite difficult and resorted to cheats. But with telltale I bet they will change all of that and make something pretty decent of the story (obvvvviously).

I think one of the only problems I have with Telltale games is theres barely any exploration. I know there are small scenes where you get to walk around a small area but it would be nice if TTG could expand on that. Especially in the Borderlands RPG universe, exploration is a big part of it.

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

As I’ve not played any Borderlands games, I’m looking forward to playing the first “unknown (to me)” Telltale franchise since the Bone games (or Puzzle Agent, if you count that since it was more of a Layton ripoff than an adventure).

Looking forward to this than yet another game about tedious Medieval fantasy nonsense with the Game of Thrones episodes.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hahaha so many TTG and Borderlands fan Tongue

Cant wait, guess i am the only fan and person who has played both BLands and their DLCs.
Heart
Its total fan service and borderlands universe is rich , there is huge builtin
audience, its 2kgames highest selling IP, better than Bioshock was in terms of sales,
so i dont see the popularity meter going down anytime soon.

Hope ep1 atleast makes it this year.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

zane - 10 March 2014 08:35 PM

Do they? I ask that sincerely, im not sure. In their descriptions of TWD2 and the wolf among us theres no mention of the word adventure to be found on the telltale page. And i didnt watch that whole video above, but i didnt hear anybody calling it an adventure game.
I still consider their games to be in the adventure genre, but i do get the impression telltale is distancing themselves from it.

From the very first answer on the Wolf Among Us FAQ: “Like The Walking Dead, it is an adventure game focused on story and characters.”

That being said, Telltale never really did make a big deal about their games being adventure games. I worked for them from 2006-2009 (Bone: The Great Cow Race through Tales of Monkey Island) and wrote all of the company’s web copy, marketing materials, press releases, etc during that time. There were instances where we used the phrase, but in general it was “episodic games” and “story games”. So if that’s still what they’re doing today, then nothing’s really changed.

(Sorry moderators… not trying to devolve this conversation any further, but I hate revisionist history. Wink)

I know nothing about Borderlands, so this game really isn’t on my radar. For those who have played it, do you think it’s a good setting for an adventure game? What’s it about?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

@fov I really would like to live to see the day when you are not defending a company ,developer or project ..(with all due respect).

“episodic games” “story games” sounds good ,I am repeating myself but thats how ttg should handle this issue (for our/my sake) ,just stay out of the genre ,as it seems they are afraid it sticking to their projects and affect it’s sales ,(what a shame) but it could be for the best ,to have a genre of their own , maybe subgenre of adventure gaming that is not really adventure or casual nor interactive-movie ,something like watch-this-movie-while-you-click-by.

I am not being sarcastic ,its just the way I speak .

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

I played Borderlands 1 because I got it free with Playstation Plus. I wouldn’t have played it for long if it didn’t have online co-op. I loved having other people join my game (which always happened within a few minutes tops) and helping me towards my goals. The best part is that you can all (up to 4 of you) do your own thing on the fairly large maps. I could be opening up a bunch of stupid boxes to find new equipment while my co-op partners are killing enemies to reach our goal.

It’s a post-apocalyptic world and in the first game you’re trying to find the key to this mythical old “Vault”. It’s almost exactly like Fallout 3 in tone and design except it’s a little goofier and there is no pausing in combat, it’s just a straight FPS with RPG elements. You get goals or “quests” from various people around the world, complete the quests and then return to that person for your reward.

It also feels like an MMO at times, like when you have to kill 5 of X monster or collect 20 of X plant in order to gain a level in order to get strong enough to go back to the main story path.

The design of the world is interesting enough that I am looking forward to the Telltale game. I’ll play BL2 eventually, but again I definitely would not do so if it weren’t for online co-op.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top