• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Most romantic adventure game?

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Zork Nemesis
Gabriel Knight 2 and 3
Black Dahlia

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 02 March 2014 08:29 PM

To the Moon is a romantic tearjerker

^ This.

It’s probably the most life- and love-affirming game I’ve ever played. If you can stomach the 16-bit RPG Maker graphics, you should definitely play this one!

Lambonius - 02 March 2014 08:57 PM

a bunch of nerds on an adventure gaming internet forum.

Hey! Pan

I’m a geek, not a nerd. There’s a difference. Nerd

Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I’ve always thought one could work as an adventure game.

Watch the movie Amelie and you could practically see where the puzzle parts could go.

Or maybe a Telltale style moral choices type game, light on puzzles big on conversations, could work with the Romance genre.

I would be hard pushed to think of any game that did romance well. Just because there is a female character in it doesn’t make it romantic. Broken Sword has had 5 games, had George even made a move on Nico, he always seems to bump into her after extended periods apart and never really on purpose.

Mass Effect seems to think stringing along every female character and bedding all of them is Romance so games. In Skyrim you seem get a magical amulet that allows you to “Chat up” strangers a couple of times before getting married where they seem happy to just sit in your house while you wander the wilderness. Not exactly Dr Zhivago.

Uncharted is probably the closest, but even in that one is very movie style romance.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 03 March 2014 04:08 PM
wilco - 02 March 2014 08:29 PM

To the Moon is a romantic tearjerker

^ This.

Me too - it’s the only game I can think of so far where ‘romance’/love is such a strong feature.

Another game I’ve got that I’ve not got around to playing yet is The legend of Lotus Spring which I understand to be a love story?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lucien21 - 03 March 2014 05:13 PM

Watch the movie Amelie and you could practically see where the puzzle parts could go.

You are right, the world of Amelie is like made to be turned into a game. Someone should give Junet a call and he might even go for it, given that City of the Lost Children was turned into a (apparently not so great) game.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Wow! Great idea! Too bad we already know the story, but for those who haven’t seen the movie it would be a perfect FMV game.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Plundered Hearts is an actual Romance Novel adventure game.

I had it on the Mac and loved it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plundered_Hearts

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Cheshire Cat - 04 March 2014 11:53 AM

Wow! Great idea! Too bad we already know the story, but for those who haven’t seen the movie it would be a perfect FMV game.

Yes. it WOULD make an excellent game! Funny that I didn’t think about that; it’s one of my favorite movies, and I think part of my love for it lends itself to the fact that subconsciously, I’ve always loved the film’s visuals, story and characters, which are much like the same in my favorite adventure games. But I think FMV would ruin it. So much of the magical realism would need animation to really bring out the movie’s charm. And the rich colors? The developers would do well having an artist craft beautiful, hand-painted backgrounds. And the characters are so animated. Creating beautiful-looking sprites to represent them would bring out the animation even more. You have to admit: The film is very cartoonish.

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

Monkey Island—very light-hearted of course, but the entire series is about the love triangle between Guybrush, LeChuck, and Elaine (and Morgan, in Tales of MI).

Machinarium—has that innocent Walle-like robot love.

And Gabriel Knight, if Jane Jensen ever gets to make GK4. Cry

tomimt - 03 March 2014 02:53 AM

I wouldn’t consider most of the games in this thread a bit romantic in the sense of Titanic style romance story. KQ VI is propably the only one that qualifies, as the romance and the pursuit of it is what drives the game forward.

Overall romances are very underused element in games, I’ve seen them mostly done in those Japanese interactive novel type games.

I agree, it’s a shame that there aren’t more romantic adventure games. I would say that most adventure games incorporate romance in much the same way as an Indiana Jones movie. In Indiana Jones, there may be a few romantic scenes sprinkled in, but they aren’t the primary focus of the films, and I wouldn’t call Indiana Jones “romantic”. It would be nice to see more games that focus primarily on relationships, and not on saving the world with a little love on the side.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Dont forget the appalling beautiful romance part of Torin’s Passage.

Re-live some of the greatest romantic dialogue ever written* at around the 7:00 mark.

*In the eye of the beholder and all that!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

DustCropper - 05 March 2014 02:06 AM

I agree, it’s a shame that there aren’t more romantic adventure games. I would say that most adventure games incorporate romance in much the same way as an Indiana Jones movie. In Indiana Jones, there may be a few romantic scenes sprinkled in, but they aren’t the primary focus of the films, and I wouldn’t call Indiana Jones “romantic”. It would be nice to see more games that focus primarily on relationships, and not on saving the world with a little love on the side.

I think game designers are actively scared of handeling romances in games anything more as a sort of a minigame ala what Bioware is doing with their games, which is a shame as deep, involving and well written romance can work nicely even in an action packed story. Like for an example it does in Farscape, which is crazy, action packed series, but also investes deeply in the birth of a relationship between Aeryn and John, which later turns into one of the best modern romances I can think of.

I feel some designers at the moment are bit too scared of that vocal group of gamers who actively cry if some game announces that they have romance options.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t think that’s it. I mean i enjoy romance but give me a choice between the subject matter of Indiana Jones and Women In Love for an adventure game and i’ll pick the former 99% of the time. It’s just not a good main plot for adventuring. Maybe in the future when our current crude technology is replaced by emotion-sensor interfaces and such…

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do think that in general level the current game devs are afraid of tackling actual romantic plotlines. There’s nothing that prevents including a well written and well thought romance plot in any story in any genre, be it an adventure game or a hardcore action game. You can have an adventurous Indiana Jones story that also has a strong romance in it, but from some reason the game devs just seem unwilling to go there.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Larry 7 is a sunny romantic comedy. Nothing wrong about it being full of sex jokes Smile
King’s Quest 6 has all the romanticism of an old fairy tale.
Also Pandora Directive is a mix of noir, post-apocalyptic world and a date sim where choices matter.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

Mass Effect seems to think stringing along every female character and bedding all of them is Romance so games.

Can’t say I agree with this. It all depends on your choices. I remember I stuck by my choice in Jack and got rewarded with a very good “arc” where Jack mellowed down and started talking about herself more and showing need which is totally unexpected of her from the impression you get when you fist see her.

Sometimes you might end up saying respectful or complimentary things to other characters that can be misinterpreted for flirting but it all comes down to the choices you make.

You just have to learn to say No when it counts Tongue.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top