• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

danigar

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Carol Reed 10: Bosch’s Damnation

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Bosch’s Damnation is my second Carol Reed game. Played my first one years ago and didn’t like it enough to buy the sequels. So I’m also kind of “new” to the series. I agree with the review (except the part about the story). For me it’s the real-life locations that make the game.

zobraks - 10 April 2014 05:47 AM

* The games are meant to be played, not to be blabbered about, aren’t they?

I love blabbering about games! There’s not nearly enough blabbering about games going on in these forums.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 10 April 2014 05:56 AM

There’s not nearly enough blabbering about games going on in these forums.

I guess you’re right.

Then again, not many people are qualified to talk about adventure games in a meaningful way.

The bad thing is that mainly those who know little about AG’s (myself included ) like to talk about them.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I read the review and I agree with it. I can imagine that after playing this one you don’t want more. Which is a pity because I think there are a few real gems in this series.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Feel free to recommend those Carol Reed gems. Smile

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Karlok - 10 April 2014 07:05 AM

Feel free to recommend those Carol Reed gems. Smile

The ones I liked most were Cold Case Summer, Amber’s Blood and Time Stand Still. They had everything Bosh’s Damnation has but a better story.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks, I’m going to try Cold Case Summer. But first Pegasus Prime.  Cool Downloading now. I bet Diego is already playing it.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I think East Side Story is still my favourite story, although I liked Amber’s Blood and Black Circle a lot. I prefer the darker tone of those stories. The better ones gave you a feel for a seedier, less attractive side of Sweden, while showing off the stunning scenery.

I can’t put my finger on what was missing in Bosch’s Damnation. Charm? The characters didn’t really play a big part except for the cleaner, and almost everything we discovered by reading. We used to learn about Carol’s life, her hobbies, apartment, the allotment. This time around it was much less involving, a routine case.

Also, did anyone find that the murderer popping up after you found the evidence was totally predictable? I was ready for the exact moment when he showed up. And the solution to getting rid of him (throwing powder) was the same as a previous game

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I agree that Time Stand Still, East Side Story, Amber’s Blood, and Cold Case Summer are the standouts in terms of the story/mystery. If you’re curious and want to see a sample of the watercolor effect in the earlier games, you might also try Hope Springs Eternal.

I’m only a short ways into Bosch’s Damnation, so I can’t comment on it in comparison to the others yet.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

tsa - 09 April 2014 11:58 PM

B star D

Karlok - 10 April 2014 02:42 AM

Beestard

It’s BeestarDee, actually.

Just finished the game. Stay tuned for my impressions.

Oscar - 11 April 2014 04:09 PM

did anyone find that [spoiler]the murderer popping up after you found the evidence was totally predictable? I was ready for the exact moment when he showed up.[/spoiler]

Me too :

I liked this game (like all the previous games in the series) very much. It may lack something, but don’t ever forget that this is the product of labo(u)r of (almost) a SINGLE man who had to engineer the story, the puzzles, the dialogs, the music, the photographs and so forth. I would never have a heart to judge Mikael Nykvist’s work as I would judge the work of Sierra or LucasArts (or United Sates of America).

Maybe Bosch’s Damnation won’t attract new players (as some critics already rushed to declare), but don’t forget that The Colour of Murder also failed to lure a prominent member of this forum at first. Carol Reed games are certainly not everyone’s cup of tea and the reviews might be bad, but the people who love CR games (myself included) couldn’t care less.
For myself, even the chance to visit interesting/weird/amusing/beautiful attractions of the town of Norrköping and some other places in Sweden (and to learn how the local folks dress/work/amuse/educate/furnish their homes and so on) makes these games well worth playing.

I’m already looking forward to the next installment of CR saga.

At the end, I’d like to point out the biggest blunder in BD (and in the whole saga, as far as I am concerned): there is no way you can climb a railroad car/railway carriage by stepping on a bicycle tyre (unless you weigh less than an ounce, that is). Don’t try it, kids!!!

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 11 April 2014 04:09 PM

Also, did anyone find that…

No, I didn’t. Maybe I’m not familiar enough with the series?

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

You’re a rookie.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 12 April 2014 08:56 AM

For myself, even the chance to visit weird/amusing/beautiful attractions of the town of Norrköping and some other places in Sweden makes these games well worth playing.

Agreed. I love the real-life locations, which was for me also the biggest plus of the Italian adventures taking place in Capri and Anacapri.

At the end, I’d like to point out the biggest blunder in BD (and in the whole saga, as far as I am concerned):

Yeah, that one made me snigger. 

PS: I’m currently playing Cold Case Summer. The murder of Olaf Palme is an interesting topic for a game.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’d start with Remedy and work my way up, if I were you.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Eh…no. Two Carol Reed games within one month is quite enough. So many great games will be released this year!

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I didn’t mean you should start right away, doofus.
Take your time.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top