• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Hey guys - quick question that might have been discussed before, but can’t find the answer right now.

I’m about to buy this, and I was wondering if it’s OK to play this without playing the original. Is this a standalone story? Are there enough connections between the two games to make it lose some of its value if you haven’t played the first?

Thanks!

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

It’s ok but keep in mind orginal was better.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

cristane - 28 March 2015 11:24 AM

I’m about to buy this, and I was wondering if it’s OK to play this without playing the original. Is this a standalone story? Are there enough connections between the two games to make it lose some of its value if you haven’t played the first?

It is to a large degree a standalone story, but all the main characters and the relations between them is carried over from the first game, so I will definitely recommend that you play it before this.

You can however skip The Critter Chronicles if you wish.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Iznogood - 28 March 2015 12:34 PM

Yes, stay far away from The Critter Chronicles. You should only consider playing it when you’ve played the two full length games, and only if you’re prepared to risk ruining your good impressions of the series. I agree with Izno that you should play them in chronological order (obviously exluding TCC). It’s not absolutely necessary with regards to being able to follow the story (as mentioned earlier, the story is pretty stand alone), but the development of the relationships between the characters continues where it left off in the first game, and the first game is just as good as the second, so there really isn’t any good reason to skip it.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

After finishing King Art’s latest, my list goes something like this:

1. TBouT 2
2. TBouT 1
3. Critter Chronicles

Original games and infamous Critter Chronicles have the same type of gameplay, reliant on heavy use of inventory while the sequel tries all kinds of fun and ludicrous (and logical) puzzles. I only had some minor issues with pacing and puzzles in third chapter.

Storywise, I would put TBouT 1 i 2 side by side. Critter Chronicles, I must admit, lags far behind them, although it’s the only title that has a “proper” ending.

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Dag - 28 March 2015 09:24 PM
Iznogood - 28 March 2015 12:34 PM

Yes, stay far away from The Critter Chronicles. You should only consider playing it when you’ve played the two full length games, and only if you’re prepared to risk ruining your good impressions of the series. I agree with Izno that you should play them in chronological order (obviously exluding TCC). It’s not absolutely necessary with regards to being able to follow the story (as mentioned earlier, the story is pretty stand alone), but the development of the relationships between the characters continues where it left off in the first game, and the first game is just as good as the second, so there really isn’t any good reason to skip it.

what did you hate about critter chronicles?
It wasnt the best game.. and it doesnt do a lot to improve the story (although it helps a lot to understand what critter is… it isnt clear otherwise)... i thought it was still fun with decent puzzles.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

being so “meta” in jokes about being an adventure game. I mean telling people “why does the designer of this game does that?” might be fun if done once, but if you do it every hour of gameplay it just hurts the immersion.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

zane - 09 April 2015 07:49 AM

what did you hate about critter chronicles?

Nate and Critter were my least favourite characters from BOUT.  I guess the critter is supposed to be cute or something, but for some reason I find him really annoying. I’m not too big on Ivo either, but I really like Wilbur. BOUT without Wilbur is like James Bond without Sean Connery. It just doesn’t work (imo).

Also, I thought TCC had many nonsensical puzzles, but I’m open to the possibility that it’s just me that is stupid, but as I can recall, several of them didn’t even make sense in hindsight. I guess my biggest gripe was how you spend nearly the entire game in the same 3 screens. If I spend too long time in one place, I begin to feel trapped. For me it’s important that an adventure game feels like a journey, like you’re traveling, like… an adventure Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

I gave it a 10 on metacritic. Sure, it might be at most a 9 in technicalities but I realized the huge amount they had put into it. Just because of that massive amount of content it deserves a 10.

I remember the last time I saw such a huge adventure game in content was maybe The Longest Journey the first.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Dag - 19 April 2015 09:46 PM

I guess my biggest gripe was how you spend nearly the entire game in the same 3 screens. If I spend too long time in one place, I begin to feel trapped. For me it’s important that an adventure game feels like a journey, like you’re traveling, like… an adventure Tongue

I couldn’t agree more. The way they kept extending the game by adding more meaningless puzzles in the same 3 screens sucked out all the fun of it for me.

And honestly, I’m starting to feel the same about BoUT2. I’m somewhere in chapter 3 and I’m this close to giving up on it, because I really don’t want to spend another second in fucking Seastone.  Sick

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

My favourite game of the year thus far. I had loads of fun with it, but clearly not everyone shares my enthusiasm.

Putting it in the same basket as The Critter Chronicles though…that is just blasphemy! I mean, Wilbur alone makes it a zillion times better. Wink

I actually do think the game spends a LONG time in Seastone, but it didn’t bother me one iota, since most of that time was spent in control of Wilbur, and Wilbur is just pure awesomeness. Chapters 4 and 5 ARE pretty much outside Seastone, but if you’re seriously considering giving up at this point in time then I doubt you’ll get much from the rest of the game. 

I actually find it hard to comprehend someone who enjoyed the first game NOT being able to enjoy the second one- I think it’s every bit as good, if not better- but there you have it.

Each their own. Wink

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

To be honest I didn’t even remember the 1st game. There’s something about it that made me almost erase it from memory. But then I looked at screenshots and said “oh, yeah I’ve played that, it was ok”.

One criticism I would seriously made about these games isn’t anything technical, but that the dialogues and the story could be more “adult”.

The Longest Journey is a game that seemed to have the same amount of work put into it but it was much better because of the story.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

A.A - 20 April 2015 08:58 AM

My favourite game of the year thus far. I had loads of fun with it, but clearly not everyone shares my enthusiasm.

Putting it in the same basket as The Critter Chronicles though…that is just blasphemy! I mean, Wilbur alone makes it a zillion times better. Wink

I actually do think the game spends a LONG time in Seastone, but it didn’t bother me one iota, since most of that time was spent in control of Wilbur, and Wilbur is just pure awesomeness. Chapters 4 and 5 ARE pretty much outside Seastone, but if you’re seriously considering giving up at this point in time then I doubt you’ll get much from the rest of the game. 

I actually find it hard to comprehend someone who enjoyed the first game NOT being able to enjoy the second one- I think it’s every bit as good, if not better- but there you have it.

Each their own. Wink

I agree with A.A.  Critter chronicles was fun, but, nowhere near the fun of BOUT 1 and 2.  They are both on my favorite games list.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve just finished the game. It was extremely good. It has some very strong characters (and not only the heroes; I can’t believe how much I’ve come to care about the zombie family), a fun story with a proper sense of scale, fun dialogue, and some very, very, very good puzzle design.

It did drag quite a bit in the middle (I’m fed up with Seastone and I hope we never return there), the soundtrack was a huge disappointment (all that circus music was really overbearing, and detracted from the atmosphere of most locations), and Munkus stopped being an interesting villain halfway through the first game, but that doesn’t prevent BoUT2 from being an exceptionally good game.

I’m not a fan of the non-ending (so, so, so many loose ends—the biggest being what happens to Vlad and Kiki!), but I’ll definitely be waiting for part 3.

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

The only ridiculous riddle was having to put a coin under a door to block it or something(wat?). Otherwise it could be even harder in puzzles, as long as they are logical. I can’t stand “puzzles” that make absolutely no sense, or they are just very remote possibilities of an artist’s logic.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top