• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04AnimeAdamCaliMonkCharophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Running Obsidian on Windows Vista or Windows 7

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Hi. So I want to try running Obsidian on either Vista or Windows 7, but I can’t even get it installed.

On both computers I tried setting all the *.exe files in the CD to Windows95 compatibility and to run in 640x480, as well as turning the computer to 16-bit and to its lowest resolution. I also uninstalled quicktime, and attempted to install the version of quicktime that’s on the CD.

On Vista, nothing made a difference, even the old version of quicktime refused to install, saying “An operation could not be performed because a file handle could not be opened.” Running setup.exe said something about the virtual driver in the registry being the wrong format.

On Windows 7, I was able to install the old version of quicktime, but setup.exe still gave me a similar message about a wrong format.

Any advice, please?

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Read on.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Thank you. So here’s what happened. I used VirtualBox to emulate Windows98 and got Obsidian installed on Vista, but VirtualBox ran too slow on that computer, so I did the same thing on the Windows 7 and the speed was great.

But on both computers I ran into the same problem when running the game. I get an in-game graphic telling me that the game required 16-bit color and to go into my ‘Windows 95 control panel’ and change it. On both the Vista and the Windows 7 I had both the host’s and the emulated Win98’s color changed to 16-bit and the resolution at minimum, but I still got the same message when trying to run Obsidian.

I guess tomorrow I can try making a Windows95 virtual machine. But has anyone got any other tips?

EDIT: Well I tried installing other games on the virtual Win98 and they too had graphical problems. I then made a virtual Win95 but it did not have a CD drive by default. I believe Win95 needed the disk drive physically installed as hardware, and I’m wondering if I need to install graphic driver hardware into the virtual Win98?

I guess I can read up on that later but if anyone has any tips on how to install hardware on virtual machines, I would love to hear them.

EDIT: Okay I got the game to run on a Win98 VM on Windows 7!

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2010-09-04

PM

desiderio59 - 10 December 2013 03:37 AM

EDIT: Okay I got the game to run on a Win98 VM on Windows 7!

How? I have the same problem, it thinks I don’t have it set to 16 bit.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

My game worked “fine” with VirtualBox set to WinXP. I think I did need to change the color scheme but had no issues there. Later on I encountered problems when I started to fiddle with the settings to lower the performance (to be able to read the PDA that scrolled too fast) and I totally screwed up my sound. But I would recommend trying a XP virtual machine instead of 98.

Unfortunately I can’t try it out now since all my data is in another HD that broke down (at least part of it did).

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2010-09-04

PM

Booya, that was faster, easier, and it actually worked.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top