• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Walking Dead - Season 2

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The Walking Dead game by TellTale is going to be revealed tomorrow

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/28/the-walking-dead-the-game-season-2-reveal-coming-this-week?+main+twitter

“keep that hair short”  Cry Clem’s back

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The first season is a hard act to follow. I’ve never been as emotionally invested in a game story before it. And I don’t even care about zombie stuff in general (including the comic, the TV-series or any other zombie piece of fiction created beore WD).

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Bah.  You got me all pumped for this, but it’s just a short teaser, with no release date given.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Oh, they’re releasing some screenshots too.

Is that Clem with that psychopath from 400 days? Gasp

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Clem is a nice character but the game will be very different if we are playing from her point of view, though it could be really interesting too. They might go for multiple POVs like 400 days too but that will be different from season one also. I’m another one who isn’t that thrilled about zombies but will be playing season two.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Personally I’ve never had much of an interest in zombie fiction, but TWD games have some of the best storytelling in gaming history, IMO.  And great storytelling and characters has always been my favorite part of adventure games.

Plus I love freedom of choice in games.  It’s more important to me than freedom of movement.  There were some moral decisions so tough in the TWD games that I paused it and thought about what to do for a good 5 minutes.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Detective Mosely - 29 October 2013 03:05 PM

Bah.  You got me all pumped for this, but it’s just a short teaser, with no release date given.

Report I saw said it was due next month.

That would be the first time that Telltale are releasing two games at the one time.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

This is going to be a really big challenge for Telltale to pull off.

Having Clementine as a player character may not work (or nowhere near as effectively as Season 1) because ultimately people wanted to protect Clementine, not be her. Putting us directly in charge of her will do a number of things:

Make us blase about her dying because it can be undone so easily (the game will just reset).

Remove the vunerablility and innocence from the character (the very core of her appeal)because we now decide what she does.

Undo her logical character progression, because she will now behave in OUR character.

Likewise, if we play as someone new meeting Clementine it will break the immersion in the new character as we already have knowledge of and, even more importantly, an emotional connection to Clementine. We’ll suddenly be some new guy pretending to be Lee, instead of the character he supposedly is.

As many have said, Christa and Omid could be the only two characters it might work to play as, but even they run the risk of just being Lee Mk.2.

I can’t help but think that Season 2 should have been entirely new character in an entirely new setting.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I think given the storyline of the first season, the ONLY logical choice is to cast players in the role of Clementine this time around.  I agree with your assessment of the narrative challenges Telltale now faces as a result of this choice, but I can’t see any other route working.  We have the connection to Clem now—we schooled her in survival skills and such, and now we get to see her apply them and make her own (our own) choices.  Don’t worry—this is Telltale, we won’t REALLY have any control over the narrative, and I’m sure Clem will be put through some harrowing challenges with some real moral quandaries.  I suspect it probably won’t have QUITE the emotional resonance of the first game, for all the reasons you stated, but I’m confident they can come up with something appropriately gut-wrenching for her this time around.  I’m wondering if they will go full circle and have Clem meet someone that SHE has to protect.  Could be a nice way to pay homage to what she learned from Lee in the first game.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The way I see it, it all boils down to on what kind of a story they are telling and as we are talking about WD here, what or who is the real monster Clementine really needs to be safe from.

We know that Clem is a smart girl and she knows how to avoid the walkers. We also know that the time she spent with Lee has rubbed on her, so that will also have an influence on her character on season 2. While she still is a little, scared child, she also knows what she has to do in order to survive. And that could turn into a very nice narrative.

But yeah, the first season is a hard act to follow. Here’s hoping that TT can pull it off.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I don’t usually pre-order games but I did so for the 10% discount. Still haven’t got around to playing 400 Days. Looking forward to both. Loved Season 1.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

So lead heads and writer of TWD have formed another studio , making the act even more
tough to follow. Yeah no-no to clementine as playable character, cant drag her for more than one episode.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Clementine being the protagonist, doesn’t bother me at the moment.

It could do well. Being a kid, they’ll be situations you simply won’t have control or power over compared to Lee last time.

It could also lead to you (the player) being like a parent trying to guide her out of tough situations when you don’t know if your helping or hindering her.

We’ll have to wait and see I suppose.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Disappointing teaser that just recycles old stuff. Good teaser because it doesn’t spoil anything from the new series!

Interesting that Telltale will be doing 2 series at the same time (first time?) and are already teasing a new IP.

After the end of the first series I kind of wanted to change focus on the characters and the setting, but that wouldn’t make sense as the Walking Dead in any medium is about how humanity evolves and reacts through all the stuff that keeps happening so it definitely should involve Clementine.
Some of most important (and shocking) storylines in the comics deal with what happens with children and the loss of their innocence when they are forced to grow up and deal with violence and death constantly happening in front of them. It’s important to see how all the lessons Lee taught her, and how she’ll deal with his loss. Will she be scared of meeting new people (like it was teased at the end of the first series), will she step up and grow up and deal herself with the problems (like Carl in the comics) or just enter a state of indifference to human life (like some kids in the comics) - probably not this last one. But I don’t know what to feel about Clementine being playable.

In the first season it made sense for Lee to make decisions, to call shots in the group, but playing as Clem it will be hard to believe a kid would have any say in some big decisions in a group (who lives, who gets food, etc).In fact, I don’t think there are many games that make the player a kid set in a violent world, but I’m all for trying new things
It sure is a ambitious task that Telltale is taking, I hope they pull it off.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I bought a VITA just to play this game. The OLED touch screen made Season 1 an amazing game experience.

Season 2 is coming out for the VITA too and boy, am I ready for it! I hope it doesn’t suck, but I’m sure I’m worried about nothing.

With Clementine back - how could it be anything but great?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Mikekelly - 01 November 2013 07:43 PM

With Clementine back - how could it be anything but great?

Seriously !?!
You don’t know how it could be anything but great?

Nah - I’m in a good mood today, so I will just let that remark slide Smile

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top