• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough No # 24: I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I tried out several endings now, even got the ‘oops’ ending which wasn’t such a hard thing to try since I already saw what entropy did to the Russian and Chinese AIs.

My first ending was Ellen’s IHNAIMS and I thought it to be really creepy and good. I think I liked it the best of the endings, or perhaps it’s just the initial impact of the first ending, don’t know for sure.

For a long time I thought the pillars were some kind of capsules for the protagonists to escape to and I kept shocking them in vain, haha.

More about completing the pillars: It took me a while to find Ted’s and Ellen’s items under those skulls, I lucked Nimdok’s hand very fast. Actually all these three had to take a shock to get their redemption but overall just white Nimdok would have sufficed, I picked all three skulls with him and still had to intentionally suicide him with the mean faced Id to get to the other characters.

I already praised the order of chapters but a bit more about it:
At Ellen’s chapter we are told about the 3 hidden parts which are the Ego, Super Ego and Id, and this is the first hint towards that you have disable them all, instead of just one or two.

Nimdok’s chapter is the one that revelas the most and I think it was a good choice to leave it for last. I really liked those ether ramblings about the people in moon, that was awesome reveal so late in the game. I think it would have given too much hope if I had known about it from the beginning. I liked how hopeless and bleak everything seemed to be.

I enjoyed allt he characters and all the ends. Though I am fairly certain I finished Benny as white portrait and he was green when starting the last chapter. What was up with that? He also [spoiler]got shocked trying the computer console that reveals his wife. Is it so that Benny is the only one that can’t reach the good ending on his own, and also the only one that can’t reach his redemption on his own? Oh but it was already corrected that Nimdok had to enter the password before anyone else could ahev guessed it? How horrible for those German people, really.[/spoiler].

I also liked the mechanics though they made me uneasy now and then, luckily different variations were rather easy to do so in the end we could try everything. I am one of the people that missed one of the redemption items, Gorrister’s heart but I had all the rest and I would guess that it’s not possible to beat the chapters without getting the non-character-specific items. White portrait also was not needed for the specific items, I had Benny’s fruit with green (on my actually green save too, not the white that turned green for some reason).

I should read the short story now.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

millenia - 16 November 2013 05:09 PM

... Though I am fairly certain I finished Benny as white portrait and he was green when starting the last chapter. What was up with that? ...

The exact same thing happened for me, I just assumed that it was my own fault, that I had made a mistake and accidentally loaded the wrong savegame when playing Nimdok’s chapter, but now… Well, either we both made the same mistake, or we both encountered the same bug, both possibilities seems equally plausible to me Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

This has been such a great game to play with the rest of you in a CP with all of your interesting prompts/comments & a game I know I would have enjoyed playing on my own but got so much more out of by playing with you all! Thank you! And thank you Sefir for being the playthrough leader & doing such a wonderful job - In hindsight I really liked the order that you arranged with Ellen being first. It seemed appropriate as all of the scenarios for the other characters were on the monitors!

I loved all of the character’s stories & Ellen’s & Ted’s, which seemed to be considered the weakest, just as much as the others!

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

This playthrough served it’s purpose well. Time to get unpinned!!

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2005-07-29

PM

I’d just like to say I’m sorry for disappearing during this playthrough, I ended up being pretty busy towards the end and while I tried to play this in my spare time I just couldn’t bring myself to enjoy it.

I had tried to play through both bennys and nimdoks chapter in one go to catch up for the final chapter but…I dunno, I guess I just wasn’t liking those characters too much or with my free time being so sparse I just didn’t have as much patience for the ugly looking animations and sprites as I did at first.

Maybe I’ll get round to finishing it when I have more time since I’m still curious about the ending.

I might Lurk on the ITE playthrough since that game seemed interesting during the last vote, don’t want to really make a promise or anything without knowing how much time I’m going to have in the future though.

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2010-09-04

PM

I recently completed I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream and there are many things I am confused about.

The whole spiritual barometer, thing. I have read many walkthroughs, and the most specific thing that is ever said about it is that it has some effect on the endgame.

Also the endgame includes different sections for the individual characters, but these do not affect the ending and are completely unneeded to produce the good ending. I do not understand what the point of them was?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

wisnoskij - 15 June 2014 11:35 PM

I recently completed I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream and there are many things I am confused about.

The whole spiritual barometer, thing. I have read many walkthroughs, and the most specific thing that is ever said about it is that it has some effect on the endgame.

Also the endgame includes different sections for the individual characters, but these do not affect the ending and are completely unneeded to produce the good ending. I do not understand what the point of them was?

The spiritual barometer/portraits colour doesn’t really affect the ending, if remember correctly. It just gives the player more room for mistakes/shocks without dying in the final chapter.

Each section for the characters in the final chapter is more of closure for their story and a chance for redemption, only some of the choices in final part of the chapter affect the ending.

You could read the last 4/5 pages of this thread, should have some discussion about the ending.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

*bump*

I’m almost a year behind in the playthrough, but I’m soldiering on. Tongue

Finished Ted’s segment. It was more straightforward than the first two segments, and at first glance not related to any event from Ted’s past, but more an allusion to his behaviour in general. And where the other two sections show actual character growth, that’s lacking here (because Ted has either grown before, simply by falling in love with Ellen or it’s more superficial than he lets on and nothing changed)...
Getting the spiritual barometer to white was rather easy (it’s not difficult to avoid the ‘bad’ options in this section).
Some interesting ideas and references in this (with fairy tales and The Divine Comedy), but it ultimately felt more generic than the other two sections. And Ted seems like a bland character…

So far, AM is still the star of the show. Cool

Next up: Benny!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 01 September 2014 04:13 PM

I’m almost a year behind in the playthrough, but I’m soldiering on. Tongue

There’s still hope for me to finish Tex Murphy, Space Bar, GAG and Callahan’s playthroughs!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 01 September 2014 04:13 PM

it’s not difficult to avoid the ‘bad’ options

Avoiding going to bed with the maid was tricky IMO. I guess if you are a family man, it gets easier…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 02 September 2014 01:25 AM

Avoiding going to bed with the maid was tricky IMO. I guess if you are a family man, it gets easier…

If you can play Mass Effect 2 as a paragon male and DON’T cheat on Ashley (or Liara) with Tali’zorah, then not bedding the maid here is easy as pie. Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished Benny’s section - it was the shortest one yet (about an hour and a half, and I took it slooooow).

It was an interesting tale of redemption through sacrifice, but it felt kinda out-of-character as Benny gets established as a hateful, misanthropic, remorseless killer, yet suddenly starts caring for the young boy he so quickly called ‘a freak’.
Oh well, the result of over a century of non-stop torture?

I like that he referenced the original short story in the beginning (telling of a long trek to find some canned food only to discover AM didn’t supply a can opener).

It’s a pity that you can so easily miss the conversation with the revolting computer that’s aiding you against AM as that felt rather important in the grand scheme of the game.

Not a bad chapter, although we didn’t have a bad one yet. Cool

Next up: Nimdok (but I’ll give the Syberia CPT priority first)

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 03 September 2014 04:50 PM

Next up: Nimdok (but I’ll give the Syberia CPT priority first)

You should! Though if you read the previous comments you would know Nimdok is my personal favourite character (AM excepted of course). Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

*bump*

Finished Nimdok’s section. Interesting chapter. You can see why he was chosen by AM (his ‘research’ led directly to the stuff that’s making our five torture victims “live forever”) and I’m guessing he’s only getting tortured because his failing memory isn’t providing AM with new torture methods and tools...

It’s also quite interesting that the biggest “monster” of the five has either softened over time, or he was never as bad as history made him seem but was probably coerced to do his crimes.
Due to his failing memory, he doesn’t realize what’s going on, but he seems appalled by the ‘experiments’. That makes Nimdok imo more redeemable than Benny, which is surprising.

The hints that there might be a bunch of humans in hibernation on the moon is worrisome, because…

Iznogood - 02 November 2013 09:25 AM

In this chapter it is also revealed that there is “A lost tribe of our brothers sleeping on the moon! They sleep in darkness, unseen by the beast.”, or put in other words that we might be the last humans alive on earth, but there are still some left on the moon, in stasis or hibernation, that AM isn’t aware of! I wonder it this is what Tim would describe as:

TimovieMan - 04 October 2013 03:40 AM

Unless there’s an ass-pull that deviates from the short story, of course. Tongue

I guess he can only answer that himself, if or when he catches up.

...this is exactly what I would describe as an ass-pull.

Especially since there is absolutely NO WAY that a supercomputer like AM, who took control of a cluster of other supercomputers during the height of our computer dependency, would not be aware of this…

But on the other hand, if the game only had as bleak an ending as the short story, it wouldn’t resonate much with people…

My order of chapters deviates from the norm in this thread, as I seem to be the only one that actually liked Ellen’s chapter. My pick is:
Ellen > Nimdok ~ Gorrister >>> Benny >>> Ted
There hasn’t been a chapter I’ve really loved, though. It’s a good game, so far, but I’m not finding it particularly great… Meh

And now I’m finally ready to take down AM. Cool

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished the game. Finally.
I’m almost as slow as diego… Naughty

Is that final chapter way out there or what? Gasp

Thanks to TV Tropes I have a passing knowledge of the Freudian concept of the Id, the Ego and the Superego, but most of the endgame is still very metaphorical and full of symbolism. Some of it probably went over my head.
In fact, reading the last couple of pages of this thread, the people that finished this CPT are reading far more into the endgame than I did.
That might actually explain why Ellen’s chapter resonated more with me - it’s more blunt in its approach…

I started the endgame with Nimdok (as was suggested here), and I finished with Ellen, the character I liked best. Ted was too bland, Benny was horrible, and Gorrister was imo helped most by dying.
If I understood the good ending right, does that mean that Ellen is now AM - an immortal entity overseeing the return of our moon colony? Reminds me of the ‘Control’ ending to Mass Effect 3. Tongue

It’s a shame that every time you got a bad ending, the game exited to the desktop. Good thing you can restart it quickly. I got quite a few bad endings before I got the good one. Or at least the bittersweet one. Tongue

I actually didn’t like the bad ending because they show you the blob you’re turned into. The description that ended the short story worked a LOT better if you had to visualize it yourself. It was also much scarier that way. It made the last sentence (the title) that much more chilling. Here it missed its effect somewhat…

Still, this is one bleak game… Gasp
It’s heavily flawed, though. A good game, but it lacked some emotional punch for me, precisely because it is so bleak, I reckon.

Thanks for leading the playthrough, Sefir. Sorry it took me so long to finish. Meh

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top