• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Coral Cave - a watercolor point & click set in Okinawa

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2013-06-07

PM

The contest is over!
Here are the results!

Many thanks to everyone: we got 58 entries with correct answers (1-Okinawa, 2-Pink, 3-Josh Tierney, 4-Ryoko-chan’s grandma). It was very fun to prepare this contest and getting answers from so many people from around the world (along with very kind messages) was a beautiful present.

Merry Christmas!

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2006-04-07

PM

My name was probably in that bag as well, but it just didn’t want to pop out! Congratulations to the winners!

Nobody knows what is gonna happen at the end of the line, so you might as well enjoy the trip.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

wicked - 22 December 2014 03:18 PM

My name was probably in that bag as well, but it just didn’t want to pop out! Congratulations to the winners!

Thank you Smile . And also many thanks to all at Atelier Sento for organising the competition, providing some beautiful-looking artwork, and hopefully at some point, also a great game! Really looking forward to getting the picture Smile

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Joined 2013-06-07

PM

Our work on the game is progressing. We have painted many new backgrounds & animations.
But there’s still a lot of work. Fortunately it’s a very pleasant work to do.

Meanwhile, we have edited a first teaser showing various scenes and places from the game:

We hope you’ll like it.
Feel free to ask if you have any question about the game!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Looks beautiful, the hard work at the animations and backgrounds is paying off

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Looks Brilliant! I love the Parallax seagulls Laughing

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Once again “Ghibli” is all I can think of. But since I absolutely love Ghibli, that’s a good thing. Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-06-07

PM

Hello Adventure Gamers,
Chris Priestman interviewed us about our main inspirations for The Coral Cave.

If you want to know the artists who influence us on the game, please follow this link:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/20/the-coral-cave-the-art-of-turning-okinawa-into-a-beautiful-adventure-game/

It’s also about Okinawa, comics and the making of the game’s backgrounds.
We hope you’ll find it interesting!
Feel free to ask if you have questions.

Joined 2013-06-07

PM

Hello!
Sorry for the lack of recent updates: we have been busy with the game and with our first graphic novel (recently published in France).
We’ve also been working on a series of articles for a French website, detailing the making of The Coral Cave. Writing in English is a little bit difficult for us but we plan to translate those articles. Here is the first one, about the birth of the project. We hope you will enjoy the reading!

We work with tangible techniques: pencils, watercolors, … Drawing on paper is what we like the most because we can use the same technique when we work at home and when we are travelling (mostly in Japan). There’s always a watercolor box set in our bag: we sit in front a beautiful landscape and spend a few hours quietly painting it.

We usually work as comic artists but, a while ago, we decided to create a video game. We play games since we were kids but we never thought we would be able to create one. We believed that all games were made in 3D by huge studios. Everything changed the day we played Machinarium. We were amazed by this charming hand drawn game. So why not create our own point-and-click game with our drawings?

To make our task easier, we use Wintermute, a free game engine. It’s designed to create point-and-click games so we can focus on the art and the story. Of course, making a game with watercolors implies some constraints and difficulties. We’ll talk about them in a coming article.

The Coral Cave is inspired by a travel in Okinawa, a beautiful archipelago at the very south of Japan. We traveled there for one month, during the off-season so we were able to move freely from island to island, without worrying about booking in advance. It was wonderful to board ferries to cross the sea. Each island was like a new world to explore, with its small villages, decorated streets, secret paths in the forest, mysterious ruins on hilltops.

In Okinawa, we stayed on Minnajima, a tiny crescent-shaped island off the coast of Motobu. There are only a few houses on this island. During our exploration, we continued to come cross the same group of children. Trying to imagine their adventures we got the idea of the game and its main character: Mizuka.

Mizuka is a lively little girl. We gave her the name of a very good friend from Niigata who loves Okinawa without ever having been able to go there. Her daughter Saki-chan, inspired us to draw the character.

We really care about that girl and her mother. We hope to be able to communicate this feeling with the players.

Thank you for reading and see you soon for another article!
Feel free to ask if you have any question.
We also have a newsletter if you want to receive regular updates about the development.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Great to have news about this game. I’m really looking forward to it.

I’ve picked up a copy of Onibi too Smile It promises to be a fun read.

Joined 2013-06-07

PM

Wow, thanks a lot for your support!!!
We hope you will enjoy the book.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve enjoyed the book Smile As someone who lived in Japan for a few years, it bought a nice feeling of nostalgia.

Looking forward to the Coral Cave Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top