• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Armikrog - The Neverhood developers making a new game

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Doug does have a Caveman-like world view, but as long as that isn’t expressed in the work itself, I don’t have a real quandary with buying it.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

This is great news!  I’m in.  Now if it only had more of Leon Redbone’s riffs it would be perfect!

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Kickstarter confirmed for next month.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Jackal - 12 April 2013 11:53 PM

I’m sort of disappointed to hear this. Not because I won’t support them (believe me, I will), but because I had hoped that, after establishing a pretty significant pattern of success on KS (not to mention stuff like TWD), the genre might be able to stand on its own two feet financially again; that investors and publishers would take an interest and actually fund some adventure games.

I guess that might still happen eventually, but it’ll probably take some of these games selling well after their release to really get the ball rolling.

Oh well. I have a soft spot for The Neverhood. It was the last big game on my sequel/spiritual successor wish list, so they’ve got my support.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Frogacuda - 13 April 2013 07:09 PM
Jackal - 12 April 2013 11:53 PM

I’m sort of disappointed to hear this. Not because I won’t support them (believe me, I will), but because I had hoped that, after establishing a pretty significant pattern of success on KS (not to mention stuff like TWD), the genre might be able to stand on its own two feet financially again; that investors and publishers would take an interest and actually fund some adventure games.

I guess that might still happen eventually, but it’ll probably take some of these games selling well after their release to really get the ball rolling.

Oh well. I have a soft spot for The Neverhood. It was the last big game on my sequel/spiritual successor wish list, so they’ve got my support.

Maybe the age of publishers is coming to an end. If developers can avoid someone else taking a share of the money, why use them?

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Oscar - 13 April 2013 08:40 PM

Maybe the age of publishers is coming to an end. If developers can avoid someone else taking a share of the money, why use them?

I wouldn’t consider that a good thing. Publishers invest in making games so that I don’t have to. They can make more expensive games than crowdfunding can, and they assume the risk rather than putting it on the shoulders of a sometimes naive or overly-optimistic public.

The fact that publishers have dominated to the point of near total control of the industry is a real problem that Kickstarter solves, and I’m very grateful for that, but it doesn’t mean I’m anti-publisher or that the publisher model is broken, it just means there was a need for an alternative to exist alongside it.

Yes, there are times when publishers and developers have conflicting visions for a product. There are even times where different parties at a developer have this problem. But there are also plenty of times where publishers have made games better; where they pour money and QA resources into making sure that they’re polished and don’t tamper at all with the creator’s vision. They are not the bogeymen that much of the KS public believes.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

There is another thing that is somewhat overlooked in these crowdfunding discussions, and that is that nowadays almost all games are sold as downloads.

The need for making physical copies and distribute them to retailers is almost gone. Developers can even sell their games from their own web-sites, pretty much cutting out not only the publishers, but every middleman in the traditional distributing chain.

There might still be a need for some risk willing money apart from crowdfunding, but the traditional role of publishers is coming to an end.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The traditional publisher model with physical copies and what not isn’t “coming to an end” just yet. For some genres it’s already gone, but for some there’s still a huge market for physical sales. The FIFA’s and the Call of Duties sell most of their millions of copies via the physical market as opposed to downloads, so there’s no cutting out the middleman there - at least not yet.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 14 April 2013 11:32 AM

The traditional publisher model with physical copies and what not isn’t “coming to an end” just yet. For some genres it’s already gone, but for some there’s still a huge market for physical sales. The FIFA’s and the Call of Duties sell most of their millions of copies via the physical market as opposed to downloads, so there’s no cutting out the middleman there - at least not yet.

On the PC side of things, however, there’s a real move away from physical copies. Stores only even sell them for a handful of games now.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 14 April 2013 12:31 PM

On the PC side of things, however, there’s a real move away from physical copies. Stores only even sell them for a handful of games now.

True and also what i meant.
If you go into a store that still sells physical copies of games, which has also been greatly reduced, the PC area is almost non existing, and if you want a physical copy of an adventure game you need to order it online.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

There’s a PC game section in stores?!??! I was hoping people finally sucked up and moved to Digital Downloading like a mature adult.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Monolith - 14 April 2013 03:13 PM

There’s a PC game section in stores?!??! I was hoping people finally sucked up and moved to Digital Downloading like a mature adult.

“Section” might be a bit generous. It’s usually like an end cap, or just a pile in the corner under a sign with a question mark.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Bastich - 10 April 2013 03:16 PM

Doug TenNapel has some very backwards and reprehensible views on certain things and hence I have no desire to give him any financial support whatsoever for anything he creates.

The only way I would play this game is if I could acquire it without him getting a single penny from me (e.g. purchased second hand).

Huh, backwards views on what exactly? Can anyone give any examples? This is the first time I’ve hear this.

EDIT: Okay, saw one post about him comparing gay marriage to a man taking a dump in the ladies’ room.. Well, that’s my respect for him out the window!

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

bigjko - 15 April 2013 08:38 AM

Huh, backwards views on what exactly? Can anyone give any examples? This is the first time I’ve hear this.

EDIT: Okay, saw one post about him comparing gay marriage to a man taking a dump in the ladies’ room.. Well, that’s my respect for him out the window!

He’s also been known to openly mock people for believing in evolution as if the scientists of the world are all gullible morons. He’s basically a bible-thumping far-right-wing conservative who happens to express his views in some extremely obnoxious ways. He’s very Ann Coulter-like, but with a religious bent.

But just because I wouldn’t vote for the guy if he ran for office doesn’t mean I won’t buy his game, or that I’m not a fan of his work. I can keep those things separate.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Frogacuda - 14 April 2013 04:07 PM
Monolith - 14 April 2013 03:13 PM

“Section” might be a bit generous. It’s usually like an end cap, or just a pile in the corner under a sign with a question mark.

Seems we’re quite fortunate around here, there’s still rows and rows of PC games in media stores and such, often with a sizable adventure section. Although, admittedly, the major publishers have been embracing digital lately, and the adventure releases have been on the decline. Hope throwing hundies at Kickstarters or importing won’t become the sole source of physical copies anytime soon. (pardon the derail)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top