• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Yeah, the main problem with POS’s graphics is definitely the 3D models. The characters in Cognition looked incredibly amateurish, but I think the Moebius cutscene shows indications of improvement. I’m not expecting the graphics to blow me away, Gray Matter didn’t, but at least that game looked like a professional effort. Cognition, with its aforementioned puppets on strings, didn’t. Then again, the studio has some time to improve before Moebius is released. Smile

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I still think people should cut them some slack, really.

But that’s just me.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

A.A - 29 December 2012 11:31 PM

I still think people should cut them some slack, really.

But that’s just me.

I tend to agree with this. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially since the release date is still a while off…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

As much as i’d like to judge some of the recent announcements and decisions, im going to hold off, at least until we start getting some playable products. And if all goes to plan in the next month we’l have a small playable moebius demo and an episode of mystery game x.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Next episode of Cognition too. Smile

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-12-17

PM

millenia - 23 December 2012 11:19 AM
aaroncarney - 23 December 2012 10:06 AM
nomadsoul - 23 December 2012 06:55 AM

Looks like another low budget game, no dinstinctive artstyle. Hope writing holds up.

Totally agree.

This game is not exciting me at all. I just hope the story, script and voice acting are better than the background art! I really miss the mood of the Gabriel Knight series. I believe that people are only excited for a new Jane Jensen game because they want more of what they experienced in Gabriel Knight. Gray matter bored me to no end…. where was the disturbing atmosphere? GK was actually intriguing, suspenseful AND scary! Didn’t find any of that in Gray Matter. The characters were boring and the voice acting was cringe, especially the main female character.

What is the new background art saying about this new game? Not much. Only that it looks boring. I will eat my hat if this game is anywhere close to what GK use to be!  Meh

I’m just reading a bad attitude here. I understand Gray Matter really didn’t hit the spot for everyone but it was supposed to be a different game than GKs and I could say that the majority of the whines and criticism it got was because people started playing it thinking it’s GK4. That’s just not the way to do it. In addition to the low and struggling budget the whole setting and atmosphere were supposed to be different, and personally I’m happy Jensen isn’t doing every game in the same mold (even though it is a good mold).

Also I doubt the Gabriel Knight’s background art itself would give anyone chills down their spine. If you look at it now after playing the game your feelings are a lot different than when the pics originally came out. Also these days it is rather harder to graphically impress people than it was in the early 90s. GK2 was FMV which was pretty much considered joke back in the day and GK3 was rather butt ugly even for its time. But they were still brilliant. Honestly I’m happy that I didn’t play those games with prejudiced attitude constantly pondering the flaws of the game. And I still try to forget the possible negative presumptions in every game I start to play, I just get a lot more immersed that way.

Though I think I rather feel sorry for the people who are just chanting (aloud or in their mind) “GK4, GK4, GK4” as they could be missing out on a lot. I don’t mean to personally attack you as you can dislike Gray Matter and the Moebius art style as much as you want, the overall tone on your post just seemed horribly negative for a Jensen fan waiting the release of a new game of hers. Or are you perhaps just doing the defense mechanism of “if you don’t except anything good you won’t be disappointed”?

I think Millenia is right. Everybody connects Jane with GK and I fell in the same trap when I first started playing GM.But now that I think about it retrospectively, I find GM to be an excellent game and I am really confident that Moebius will be phenomenal. Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

We don’t all have to be a “Jensen fan”, do we? I’m not really a huge fan of KQVI or Police Quest III but I like the Gabriel Knight series. That doesn’t make me a “Jensen fan”, does it?

In fact I didn’t find out who she was until after reading some promo for Gray Matter, long after finishing all the GK games. I’m not generally interested in who makes the games I play, only in playing them.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Oscar - 03 January 2013 11:29 PM

We don’t all have to be a “Jensen fan”, do we? I’m not really a huge fan of KQVI or Police Quest III but I like the Gabriel Knight series. That doesn’t make me a “Jensen fan”, does it?

In fact I didn’t find out who she was until after reading some promo for Gray Matter, long after finishing all the GK games. I’m not generally interested in who makes the games I play, only in playing them.

When Sierra was king, they aggressively advertised their game designers by doing things like putting their face on game boxes. I always enjoyed seeing who was behind the games, and I would bet it did influence my loyalties a small degree. You go from loving the game to also idolizing the people who made it. Maybe I was just too damn impressionable in my youth.  Tongue

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

inm8#2 - 04 January 2013 12:30 AM

When Sierra was king, they aggressively advertised their game designers by doing things like putting their face on game boxes. I always enjoyed seeing who was behind the games, and I would bet it did influence my loyalties a small degree. You go from loving the game to also idolizing the people who made it. Maybe I was just too damn impressionable in my youth.  Tongue

Interesting, I wasn’t really aware of who was behind the games I played when I was younger. I guess it’s because I was more into Lucasarts than Sierra and I don’t remember Lucasarts putting faces on their boxes. I was the same with movies - if you asked me when I was 15 who made my favorite movies I would have had no idea!

Oh, and don’t worry - I was impressionable in my youth too. I don’t think there’s such thing as being too impressionable Smile

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

inm8#2 - 04 January 2013 12:30 AM

When Sierra was king, they aggressively advertised their game designers by doing things like putting their face on game boxes.

There’s a point to that. I’m currently doing a replay of LSL7, and I’ve noticed Al’s face more than once in-game.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Oscar - 04 January 2013 01:03 AM

Interesting, I wasn’t really aware of who was behind the games I played when I was younger. I guess it’s because I was more into Lucasarts than Sierra and I don’t remember Lucasarts putting faces on their boxes.

Maybe not, but they put their names on the front. Smile

I think Sierra’s InterAction magazine and LucasArts’ The Adventurer also went a long way toward building those loyalties. Of course it won’t be true for everyone, but a lot of people who grew up in the 80s/90s playing these games knew who the designers are and have remained loyal to them… which is a double-edged sword, I think. Jane’s not the only developer who’s “typecast”; this comes up a lot with Ron Gilbert’s work too (esp. right now with The Cave), and I remember when Psychonauts came out how disappointed many Tim Schafer fans were that it wasn’t another Full Throttle or Grim Fandango…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m not generally interested in who makes the games I play, only in playing them.

As an avid movie lover, I can say that I’ve always been interested in the writer and director, because talented people tend to have a better track record (and thus deserve to be followed).
The same goes for game writers/designers.

I’m not saying that a game by a designer you like is ALWAYS going to be a great game, but the odds usually look good.

Typically, when I play a game (or watch a movie) that I absolutely love, I immediately check to see what other games (or movies) the designer/writer/director has made.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TimovieMan - 04 January 2013 01:45 PM

The same goes for game writers/designers.

I’m not saying that a game by a designer you like is ALWAYS going to be a great game, but the odds usually look good.

Typically, when I play a game (or watch a movie) that I absolutely love, I immediately check to see what other games (or movies) the designer/writer/director has made.

I do that too, but I’ve often wondered are the “odds are good” because I expect to like it? There has to be some bias effect involved. I see that more when I’m watching a new movie by a moviemaker I dislike. Michael Bay….  Pan

Laughing

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sure, bias will have some effect.
You’ll more easily forgive mistakes by game/movie makers that you like, and you’ll sooner grasp the opportunity to bash mistakes from ones you dislike.

You just have to remind yourself to stay as objective as possible, lest you become a fanboy / hater.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I agree with Tim, I also to like to investigate after a certain movie/game that I liked… but there’s one more thing - the love I felt for Monkey Island for example, while in great deal thanx to Gilbert/Schafer/Grossman… is also because of the music, great art… Ok, Monkey Island is not the best example because even main designers worked as a team, and “teamwork” exactly is the best telltale that you’d like some other related material. For example, some movie director likes to work often with a certain scriptwriter. And if you liked Monkey Island you can bet you’ll also love Schafer’s/Grossman’s Day of the Tentacle. Or that’s why I’m thrilled to see what Marco Hullen comes up with after another work in Daedalic.

Another thing - I haven’t played Gray Matter, but I’m finding more positive than negative comments in the adventure gamers circle, and I think it’s a hell of an achievement - because Jane didn’t have at disposal all what Sierra had to offer, with composers, artists, budget…

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top