• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Pulstar - 31 October 2014 01:55 AM

Caliburn, you are wise man.

Echo that!

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Pulstar - 31 October 2014 05:55 AM

Yes, I very much agree. AG should consider adding a new Moderator. You have a natural gift of de-escalation and nuance that is apparant in most of your posts! We can all learn a bit from that.

The Gabriel and Grace cutscene on Day 6
The sequence where Grace paints the snake tattoo onto Gabriel’s chest was in the original game, but there it was done only as a scripted sequence (animated character sprites moving within the standard game scene). In the remake, it has been turned into a full cutscene.

Yes, I was surprised by the cutscene for that sequence, as though it’s nice to look at, I don’t quite see why the devs chose to animate that particular sequence as a full blown cutscene.

Ideally, it would have been great if the Guenther’s background story was animated in this fashion. I immediately realize that this would have been a pretty big sequence, so it would have to be cut into smaller segments and feed those at different points and it would have been pretty impactful nonetheless (not to mention expensive).

But that would have been a great and solid contribution to the remake.
  Laughing

EDIT:
Dang, I simply keep forgetting using the spoiler quotes. Hopefully quickly fixed, before anyone considers him/herself really spoiled.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Veovis - 31 October 2014 05:08 AM

Echo that!

me as well; echo that,... echo that,.. ..echo that  but without the decay Sarcastic
.. seriously Cali is the most careful, précise and relied-on poster at these forums, that it IS always obvious how much effort he puts into his posts and replies, god bless you Cali. Heart

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Advie - 31 October 2014 09:59 AM
Veovis - 31 October 2014 05:08 AM

Echo that!

me as well; echo that,... echo that,.. ..echo that  but without the decaying Sarcastic
.. seriously Cali is the most careful, précise and relied-on poster at these forums, that it IS always obvious how much effort he put into his posts and replies, god bless you Cali. Heart

Agreed

Heart

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

I bought the game today and so far it looks beautiful.

I have to tell you that I still haven’t finished the original one,I’m stuck at the mansion,can’t find a way to get in.

But I wanted to start the game again with the 20th anniversary edition.

I really really hope they release it on DVD,I would definetely buy it.Imagine if they released it along with some collector’s stuff too! It would be fantastic!

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-10-27

PM

Just to add a vote of no confidence for the workmanship at Phoenix studios.  The graphics and animations are barely competent for a professional game.  Not as good as the original, and no where as good, as similarly priced games.  I suspect much of the work was done by non-payed interns (their site seems ready to take anyone in for no pay).  First Mobius, then this.  They will kill any chance of this franchise making a come back.  Hopefully these criticisms will convince Phoenix to put more budget into hiring animators and artists of some talent (or convince Jane to go elsewhere).  In telling them to get their act together, I am hoping for them to succeed.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

humbertthehorse - 03 November 2014 12:25 PM

Just to add a vote of no confidence for the workmanship at Phoenix studios.  The graphics and animations are barely competent for a professional game.  Not as good as the original, and no where as good, as similarly priced games.  I suspect much of the work was done by non-payed interns (their site seems ready to take anyone in for no pay).  First Mobius, then this.  They will kill any chance of this franchise making a come back.  Hopefully these criticisms will convince Phoenix to put more budget into hiring animators and artists of some talent (or convince Jane to go elsewhere).  In telling them to get their act together, I am hoping for them to succeed.

I haven’t had time to get started on GK but I have played Moebius & apart from some dodgy animation in parts I thought the graphics were gorgeous. I personally think that POS are a very talented team albeit a tad inexperienced with animation but I’m confident that they are dedicated enough to work on that to become a great development studio & then you can eat your words humbertthehorse or should it be humbertthetroll as I get a little tired of reading the same old vindictive comments over & over -  it’s like listening to an old vinyl record with the needle stuck!

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

This PoS hate is definitely going out of cntrol. Well internet is hate machine so not surprising but technically PoS is not entirely responsible if JJ herself want to stick with them.

Good leader is good decision maker, if she decides for these people, people are not blame.

Also this Indian outsourcing, they do the character rigging i checked in opening credits.
Maybe they can let loose this outsourcing team and try someone else.

I myself worked on AAA cancelled game called Edge of Twilight. And then i worked in Singapore which was relatively cheap for parent company.
Polish, Germans, some other Asian country perhaps??? There must be more options for outsourcing.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

First Mobius, then this.

Are you saying you see no improvement between Moebius and GK 20th?
If so, I think you need to look at Moebius again.

Hopefully these criticisms will convince Phoenix to put more budget into hiring animators and artists of some talent (or convince Jane to go elsewhere).

Phoenix doesn’t have the budget to hire top notch animators and artists like Sierra had back in the 1990’s. So unless you want to send them millions of dollars it’s not reasonable to expect them to hire the best, most experienced artists. Instead you have to wait for their current artists to improve. Their 2D art is already good and their 3D modeling is improving.

I give Phoenix/Pinkerton credit for getting their games out on time, not broken up into episodes or delayed for years. They were also prompt at sending me my GOG key, unlike another Kickstarter I could name. I would certainly consider donating to another of their Kickstarters if they have one.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2014-10-25

PM

chrissie - 03 November 2014 01:39 PM

you can eat your words humbertthehorse or should it be humbertthetroll as I get a little tired of reading the same old vindictive comments over & over -  it’s like listening to an old vinyl record with the needle stuck!

My feelings to GK20 haven’t changed substantially, but I’m trying to make my comments more balanced after Caliburn’s marvelous posts. However, it seems that not everyone thinks similar. Which is normal, because everyone can think whatever he wants, even if it means calling someone a troll, after single, not particularly malicious post.
Besides chrissie, look it that way - if some comments keep recurring: maybe there’s a grain of truth there?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 03 November 2014 02:23 PM

Polish, Germans, some other Asian country perhaps??? There must be more options for outsourcing.

India and China are two biggest IT related outsourcing countries mainly because of two things: 1. A huge pool of workers, which leads to -> 2. Cheap salaries. There’s not many other countries that can match that. Some south American countries try, but they often have much less skilled IT people. Israel does also fairly well in IT outsourcing, but they don’t have nearly as much workforce to offer.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

How about South-Korea?

A lot of animation is outsourced there.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Origami - 03 November 2014 04:03 PM

How about South-Korea?

A lot of animation is outsourced there.

I’m not entirely sure, but I recall that South Korean does most of its business towards japan. Sure, they do stuff for others as well, but Japan is their biggest client. A lot of outsourcing countries work like that, aiming their efforts to specific countries. India and China do the big exception mainly because their size.

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

I agree,for an adventure game of 2014 and especially a remake of a CLASSIC…no wait,a remake of a LEGEND,they should have done a much better work than something you can play on your cell-phone.

There’s one darn thing that bothers me so far: The game is kind of glitchy.It takes like…have a minute for it load,the conversation screen takes like…10 to 20 seconds to load and some clicking around can get slow as well.And my PC can run Skyrim on ultra settings for fun and can even run Watch Dogs on ultra settings pretty well.

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

How the games execution holds up IMO.

Weaknesses: While certain animations are incredible (looks like motion capture) there are some places where it looks like the graph editor has barely been touched. The character models don’t always blend in with the backgrounds as good as they should, often in terms of lightning and the grounds surfaces.

Strengths: The new graphics manages to capture the “oil painting/comic book”-style perfectly. The backgrounds are especially gorgeous with animated water, light, fog ect. The lip-animations during the dialogues are also notably amazing.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top