• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What are you reading?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nickherc - 09 October 2014 05:29 AM

Reading Bukowski, Post Office, for the third time. I don’t know, just really really like it. Reading the book you love is like visiting places you love. It calms you down in a way and your heart starts singing.

Hey, I read the Post Office for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it! My first Bukowski novel too, I’d only read some of his poems.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2004-10-07

PM

Currently I am reading “Anna dressed in Blood”. It’s pretty nice, though I am still looking for a good follow up to the Hunger Games books.

Any suggestions?

Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile

- “esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!” Dennis added, and the wizard’s robe caught on fire. “Gosh,” Dennis said, “and some people say higher math isn’t relevant.”

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

Karlok - 15 October 2014 05:16 AM
nickherc - 09 October 2014 05:29 AM

Reading Bukowski, Post Office, for the third time. I don’t know, just really really like it. Reading the book you love is like visiting places you love. It calms you down in a way and your heart starts singing.

Hey, I read the Post Office for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it! My first Bukowski novel too, I’d only read some of his poems.

Yeah, Post Office is my favourite. I also loved Factotum. Oh, hell, all of Bukowski novels are awesome. Did you get your hands on more Bukowski stuff? What ya think?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nickherc - 30 October 2014 06:27 AM

Yeah, Post Office is my favourite. I also loved Factotum. Oh, hell, all of Bukowski novels are awesome. Did you get your hands on more Bukowski stuff? What ya think?

Sorry, noticed just now that you replied to my post.

I ordered Pulp. Still waiting. Zobraks recommended it in another thread because I like Noir PIs and Chandler stuff. I also read some of Bukowski’s poems many years ago.

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

Karlok - 24 November 2014 12:09 PM
nickherc - 30 October 2014 06:27 AM

Sorry, noticed just now that you replied to my post.

I ordered Pulp. Still waiting. Zobraks recommended it in another thread because I like Noir PIs and Chandler stuff. I also read some of Bukowski’s poems many years ago.

Pulp is considered “not so good”. He wrote it late in his life, when he was already really sick and I have the feeling, he just wanted to finish it. Still, it’s an okay read. Try Post office Wink.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nickherc - 02 December 2014 04:12 AM

Pulp is considered “not so good”. He wrote it late in his life, when he was already really sick and I have the feeling, he just wanted to finish it.

I like it. Still at it. Aliens and all. Smile

Still, it’s an okay read. Try Post office Wink.

I did read Post Office. See my previous posts.  Tongue It’s more interesting than Pulp, yes.

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

Now I’m reading Raymond Carver. I was looking for authors who are similar to Bukowski and I stumbled upon Carver (and guess what? They’re not that similar). I’m not so impressed by his short stories, but his poetry is good.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The latest YA novel tipped to be the next big thing. It has already been optioned for the movies so expect this to be the next Hunger games.

That is probably a good analogy as the book has many similarities to the Hunger Games. Instead of Areas being held down and used as Slave labour for rich and powerful the classes are given colours. Red being the lowest and Gold the high and mighty.

Based around a Roman type civilizations Darrow is inducted into an Enders Game style command school where the students are placed in competition against each other to sort out who are potential leaders etc. The main game is a Command and Conquer style war game where each group has to survive with nothing, find and defend a castle, gain upgrades and favours from the leaders by defeating other groups with the last group standing being the winner.

The book is well written with a bunch of decent characters that will have you and Darrow wondering who the enemies are as he becomes more ingrained in the Gold life.

I enjoyed it immensely.

The 2nd of the Trilogy has just been released in Hardback (Golden Son)

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Half a King - Joe Abercrombie

“I swore an oath to be avenged on the killers of my father. I may be half a man, but I swore a whole oath”

Prince Yarvi has vowed to regain a throne he never wanted. But first he must survive cruelty, chains and the bitter waters of the Shattered Sea itself. And he must do it all with only one good hand.

The deceived will become the deceiver

Born a weakling in the eyes of his father, Yarvi is alone in a world where a strong arm and a cold heart rule. He cannot grip a shield or swing an axe, so he must sharpen his mind to a deadly edge.

The betrayed will become the betrayer

Gathering a strange fellowship of the outcast and the lost, he finds they can do more to help him become the man he needs to be than any court of nobles could.

Will the usurped become the usurper?

But even with loyal friends at his side, Yarvi’s path may end as it began – in twists, and traps and tragedy…

Joe Abercrombie is know for his Heroic Fantasy novels, a band of misfits and a fight they cannot win against overwhealming odds. Books full of great Characters and battle scenes that are amongst the best in fantasy. Usually very gritty and graphic in it’s death scenes.

For his latest three book series he has, like a lot of Fantasy authors, decided to try the YA market with a book aimed at a younger audience than he is used to.

He has kept the framework of his adult stuff with a series of great oddball characters. While the books are shorter and less graphic than his usual fare the book is not lesser for that.

While there is nothing particularly new in the world or the plot of the book. It gripped me from the start and was read over a couple of days. The Dialogue flowed well, keeping the book moving at a decent pace. The world was vivid and well drawn, the characters are interesting and you get swept up in the whole plot as it twists and turns to an ending that may not be the one you imagine.

It’s a whole lot of fun.

5/5

The sequel “Half the World” is set in the same world, but with a different main character and plot.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2015-02-20

PM

I’m starting to read “One Hundred Years of Solitude” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible, and suddently you are doing the impossible.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Kaitlyn - 25 February 2015 04:14 AM

I’m starting to read “One Hundred Years of Solitude” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I started to read it over 2 years ago, but couldn’t get over page 30. I haven’t given up, it’s just I read it in English and as it’s not my native tonque, I struggled too much to get immersed.

Right now I’m reading Strugatskys’ A Billion Years Before the End of the World.

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams - Stephen King

The latest collection of short stories by the master of horror.

Some of King’s best work has come from his short stories. He is probably one of the few authors who can still get this kind of book published. Short Story collections are rare.

His latest collection contains 20 stories, some old some new, almost all of them interesting in their own way. They vary in subject - a man who keeps reliving the same life, repeating the same mistakes over and over again, a columnist who kills people by writing their obituaries, a poignant tale about the end of the human race and a firework competition between neighbours which reaches an explosive climax. There are also intriguing connections between the stories; themes of morality, guilt, the afterlife and what we would do differently if we could see into the future or correct the mistakes of the past.

Each story is prefeced with a page of autobigraphical whimsy from King about how the idea for the following story came about. It’s an interesting insight into where his ideas come from. A brief glimpse at least.

I like his short form stuff. He likes to paly with the medium and his twists can be pretty creepy. Just when you think one story is going to go one way he jinxs the other way and pulls the rug.

Overall a decent collection of high standard

4/5

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

The Master of Ballantrae: A Winter’s Tale by Robert Louis Stevenson.
I’m not as thrilled as I hoped.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Victorian Building Materials. I forgot by whom. Everything Victorian British is interesting to me.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2016-07-27

PM

Metro 2035 by Dmitry Glukhovsky
I’m a big fan of the first two metro books and also enjoyed Glukhovsky’s Future. This one doesn’t disappoint, in fact it’s pretty awesome!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top