• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Baron_BlubbaCaliMonkchrissiediegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A look at the King’s Quest series

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Oh hey, now that you’re done with KQ1-KQ7, wilco, you’ll be able to recognize all the moments on these cute comic-style art pieces by Zarla:

http://zarla.deviantart.com/art/King-s-Quest-1-5117175
http://zarla.deviantart.com/art/King-s-Quest-2-5117249

(There are also similar ones for Space Quest and Quest for Glory.)

wilco - 11 January 2015 07:45 AM

The main problem is fighting with the controls and thchnical mess.

I only played through KQ:MOE once about 15 years ago (wow, time flies…), but as I recall, I played it mostly in first-person view. It seemed to control a bit better that way, aside from occasional platforming bits where it helped to see Connor’s position in third-person view. Early 3-D games tend to feel clunky, so I sympathize.

By the way, did you fix the problem with the video not playing?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Caliburn - 13 January 2015 12:21 AM

Oh hey, now that you’re done with KQ1-KQ7, wilco, you’ll be able to recognize all the moments on these cute comic-style art pieces by Zarla:

http://zarla.deviantart.com/art/King-s-Quest-1-5117175
http://zarla.deviantart.com/art/King-s-Quest-2-5117249

(There are also similar ones for Space Quest and Quest for Glory.)

Cute. Space Quest I do but Quest for Glory ones I don’t understand any but someday…

I only played through KQ:MOE once about 15 years ago (wow, time flies…), but as I recall, I played it mostly in first-person view. It seemed to control a bit better that way, aside from occasional platforming bits where it helped to see Connor’s position in third-person view. Early 3-D games tend to feel clunky, so I sympathize.

The jumping is awkward and the fighting needed a dodge command. Thankfully its easy to kill most enemies from distance and there are plenty of potions around.(Game also has a weird amount of useless mushrooms… I now have 250!)
Early 3D was a dark period in gaming graphics and controls (a lot of art creators probably quit gaming when they saw their drawings translated in-game Smile ),  but 1998 still gave us Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life, Ocarina of Time and a lot of other classics so it was possible to go around the limitations.

No, tried to look around in the forums but didn’t find any specific answer so I just ended seeing it on youtube.
There was another bug but that was gamebreaking because the game freezed before a battle. Gog forums had a fix for that one. Game still crashes sometimes and another becomes painfully slow and I have restart the game. Maybe it’s the 3D engine and lack of compatibility with new OS.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

wilco - 13 January 2015 05:15 AM

The jumping is awkward and the fighting needed a dodge command.

You mean Connor’s highly practical backflip ability isn’t enough? Wink

(Game also has a weird amount of useless mushrooms… I now have 250!)

Oh yeah, the mushrooms that restore a tiny amount of health! Yeah, at a certain point I had so many that I stopped picking them up. Smile

wilco - 11 January 2015 07:45 AM

I arrived at the The Realm of the Gnomes in MoE. As a KQ-spinoff and actionRPG-adventure hybrid the game does some interesting things, kind of like a Demons Souls-lite with the dark setting, sense of isolation and clever puzzles.

True, although the game is controversial and ultimately I found it not that memorable, it has some ambition as far as blending genres go. I found it got a bit tedious traversing drab environments, collecting mushrooms, and clicking on enemies until they die. But if I recall correctly, the puzzle bits were above average for an action/adventure game at that time, when the main touchstone was Tomb Raider. And I did complete the game, so it apparently did something right, though that may have been partly because I found the game fairly easy and partly because I had more endurance back then for slightly tedious games.

No, tried to look around in the forums but didn’t find any specific answer so I just ended seeing it on youtube.

I’ve just done a very quick Google search, so I doubt I’ve found anything you haven’t already seen. But this thread makes it sound like the GOG version may not have been properly fixed for Windows 8, if that’s what you’re using. For the videos, if you’re getting the error described here, maybe you need to install the Indeo Video Codec that is linked under Solution #2. I dunno; this is hard to test since I don’t have the GOG version. I guess it’s also a question of how much effort it’s worth. I recall an intro video and a short ending video; I can’t recall if there are any others mid-game?

Not sure what to suggest for the crashes. Frown

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Caliburn - 13 January 2015 08:02 PM

I’ve just done a very quick Google search, so I doubt I’ve found anything you haven’t already seen. But this thread makes it sound like the GOG version may not have been properly fixed for Windows 8, if that’s what you’re using. For the videos, if you’re getting the error described here, maybe you need to install the Indeo Video Codec that is linked under Solution #2. I dunno; this is hard to test since I don’t have the GOG version. I guess it’s also a question of how much effort it’s worth. I recall an intro video and a short ending video; I can’t recall if there are any others mid-game?

Not sure what to suggest for the crashes. Frown

Thanks! Those codecs worked great, can see the intro now. I’m playing in Windows 7, works well for most part. The other problem I was having was in this gog thread and the solution was there. Game was getting stuck after a specific in-game cutscene.
The other crashes are kind of random and I don’t think there is a specific reason but they are not very frequent so its tolerable,

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished Mask of Eternity, what a sudden ending… it does some interesting things but with some bad execution. I think the mix of action-RPG/adventure can be great but it stumbles in here.

The adventure elements are good sometimes, it has some puzzles that are harder than most RPG, specially in the Death Dimension (IMO the best part of the game) but they just disappear after that and it becomes mostly linear exploration almost until the end. Suddenly near the end (in the Ice World) there is a puzzle that seems from an adventure game logic that I completely stumbled. t’s like the game sometimes remembered it has adventure roots and just ended up being more confusing.

The action-RPG elements are half-baked because the combat is a boring click fest without any skill or strategy required. It’s also easy and broken so at least it’s hard to avoid. It does feature a nice amount of exploration and big maps but most of it is rather empty.

I think the controls ended being ok for the game, I liked the mix of point and click/direct control, it served well the game. Too bad about the incredibly bad jumping and lack of precision (platforming in fire world was the hardest part of the game…)

And scenario and story was good, the variety of world and races fitting, with some side quests that unfortunately were pretty boring. I just wished they tied it more to Kings Quest lore and not just Graham showing up a bit and instead using and random new guy with no mention of Graham family and most of Daventry.

The playthrough is complete, thanks everybody for the comments and help (thanks Caliburn for the great audio tips Thumbs Up )

Final ranking would be something like:

KQ3 > KQ6 > KQ4 > KQ1 > KQ2 > KQ7 > KQ5 (KQ8 is another timeline Smile )

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride! It’s been fun to relive the series with you.

I forget, did you play AGDI’s remakes of King’s Quest 2 and 3? I’m curious if/how you’d rank those in your list. KQ2 on its own is a pretty forgettable game, but I really loved how AGDI expanded on it.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I second that you should play the AGDI remakes.  KQ1 is pretty much a 1:1 remake of the SCI version, with improved graphics and sound, but KQ2+ is fully rewritten and has a much deeper plot than the original game.  KQ3Redux is less overhauled than KQ2, but still has some nifty additional scenes and content, and reworked puzzles from the original.  They’re very well done and definitely worth your time as an addendum to this big playthrough.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Mmm, I have not played the remakes, maybe sometime later (not for now, time to move on to other series Smile ).

I see the point about KQ2 being pretty forgettable and maybe I was generous in the ranking, but I kind of seen it like an expansion for the first one with some fun moments and easter eggs.
I was harsh on my 5 ranking but it had the most frustrating moments for me!

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-06-30

PM

Wilco Don’t forget to play the Infamous-Adventures King’s Quest 3 and Space Quest 2 Remake also.

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

I’ve been busy, but I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your impressions and insights, Wilco. Thanks for inviting us to share the journey with you. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top