• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

Frogacuda - 23 October 2014 10:49 AM

Yeah, Unreal 4 is going to seriously undercut Unity going forward, but that wasn’t the case at the time.

The settings are fairly simple, though. The only one that might confuse people is SSAO, which refers to Ambient Occlusion, a lighting effect that simulates the sorts of soft, ambient, inderect shadowing you see in a naturally lit scene. It’s a fairly taxing effect, so that’s why they made it separate, I’d guess.

I wish there was an option to turn off or dial down that lens flare effect. There were some scenes in the game, like the therapists office, where I feared going blind by looking too long at the monitor. Tongue

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2009-10-24

PM

subbi - 23 October 2014 09:07 AM

What puzzles me is the amount of visual settings ;-)

I was under the impression that all these tech settings were a nasty effect of how late 90’s 3D games had to work and tweaked in order to get optimal result accross a wide range of graphic card and technologies.

Then, in my opinion, we entered in an era where settings were kept as basic as possible for the casual user….by my understanding a result that the games were able to apply certain settings based on what it can read from your system. Also I thought that the range of graphic card and technologies involved was much more streamlined.

Now, we have dreamfall with a large range of settings….and honestly, it does not serve any purpose for a non-technical user. I don’t even know what some of them mean, so why would I have to try out several of them in the hopes it increases performance or visual quality?

Can’t the game read my hardware configuration and come with a typical settings default based on that?

I’m under the impression that most pc gamers prefer more options and most big games usually have a decent amount of options or more than were offered by DFC.  If you play Alan Wake, fallout 3, Metro last light, Shadow of Mordor, Deus Ex human revolution, half life 2 just off the top of my head have more graphical choices than this game.  If you are having poor fps while running this game than I would turn everything off first to see if that helps than slowly increase the settings to medium until the game runs smooth.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

What they should do on the mac build is create profiles with optimal settings for each of the models from apple from the last 2-3 years (there aren’t that many). This would just make the experience much nicer for any mac gamers…

That’s obviously not possible on PC where there’s a lot more variety… But it’s the advantage of consoles for example.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Well just a heads up, many people with super high rigs are having same Framerate issues in Stark (its an optimization problem),and Ragnar knows about the issue, fixing them.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I finished the Chapter and… WOW! What a First Chapter! Wonderful! I just want more of it, right now! The only problem I got, although I have a pretty descent PC, is the Europolis part where my CPU and GPU got almost fried. There are too many NPCs, lights and ships running around that I had to decrease the graphics quality to be able to continue. But all in all, a 5/5 stars beginning.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Just finished the first chapter, and if I look past the frame rate issues and numerous crashes, I’m left with only positives. What an amazingly awesome start to the game, and what a perfect way to continue the Dreamfall story! Without a doubt the best thing to come out of kickstarter so far!

As already mentioned (to some ppl’s frustration, for some reason) the voice acting, setting and story is superb, but I won’t go further into that, suffice to say, there’s a AAA caliber to it. Dialogue-wise, the game felt more modern than most adventure games, with the occasional swearing and mention of sex (not too much, it just comes naturally, something I haven’t seen much in adventure games before). The first chapter is also surprisingly long, and those that are worried about the puzzles being a Telltale-fare can rest easy, there are quite a few actual puzzles here. Simple, and logical, but puzzles nonetheless, just hard enough to make you sit back and think a little before solving it, but not so hard as to warrant the use of a walkthrough.

Europolis is huge and vibrant, really feels alive with all the NPS and their conversations, spaceships flying over your head and boats roaming the river. I got lost a couple times (an active minimap could’ve been a nice addition as it’s sometimes hard to find where to go). Europolis is a really nice glimpse into what an open world adventure game could be like.

My hat’s off to Ragnar and co. Well done! An easy 5/5. Can’t wait for the next chapter!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Finished Book 1 in around 4 hours.

I have to agree, it’s a very promising start. I’m not the biggest fan of this series, to be honest, but this already feels much improved. The dialog is very well done, better than TLJ or Dreamfall, and exploring the huge, detailed environments almost reminds me of Shenmue. It’s too soon to judge the story overall, but it’s a very good start, for sure.

2014’s been an awesome year for the genre. Looking forward to playing more next year.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

This is an easy 5/5 opening for me as well. It’s obvious from Book 1, that Ragnar is at the top of his game right now and Chapters really has a potential to become one of the greatest adventure games.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Frogacuda - 24 October 2014 12:18 AM

The dialog is very well done, better than TLJ or Dreamfall, and exploring the huge, detailed environments almost reminds me of Shenmue.

Oh man, don’t tempt me with Shenmue comparisons Tongue The best parts of Dreamfall had that feeling for me too—walking through Venice at night especially.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Tørnquist’s Dr.Zelenka cameo act revealing his heroine’s anarcho-punk lesbian interdimensional psyche set with predetermined decisions which leads predestined end again.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

orient - 24 October 2014 07:16 AM
Frogacuda - 24 October 2014 12:18 AM

The dialog is very well done, better than TLJ or Dreamfall, and exploring the huge, detailed environments almost reminds me of Shenmue.

Oh man, don’t tempt me with Shenmue comparisons Tongue The best parts of Dreamfall had that feeling for me too—walking through Venice at night especially.

He said Shenmue, Wilco said Omikron, i said Anachronox.
So its definitely have that feeling of oldschool adventures, roaming around in
cities and stuff.

If you miss that , then you will have good time.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Gabe - 24 October 2014 07:20 AM

Tørnquist’s Dr.Zelenka cameo act revealing his heroine’s anarcho-punk lesbian interdimensional psyche set with predetermined decisions which leads predestined end again.

That’s a mouthful…..can you say quickly 3 times? Laughing

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have decided to replay the first book, in order to both get some of the details, missed dialogue options, different variations etc. that I missed first time, but also to see how it plays out with the different career choice. So here are my observations.

Kidbot!!!  Laughing Grin Grin Instead of Shitbot.

Zoë‘s new employer seems to be the exact opposite of Mira, a dispassionate or at least well tempered professional workaholic without any kind of social life or friends.

The task you have to perform with Kidbot seems to be more difficult than the once with Shitbot. Ada actually bought Kidbot from Mira, but Kidbot was created by Witt. Zoë also knows Mira even if she doesn’t work for her, in fact her exact words to Ada is “Mira’s insane, I wouldn’t trust Mira with my money, please don’t buy a bot from Mira, you will regret it” Grin

A funny moment was when doing the tasks with Kidbot, [spoiler]I actually ran into Mira who was out testing Shitbot herself, and I once again got to hear those immortal words welding. Welding, wel-ding. Also Mira told me to stop by the shop next week, so obviously Mira and Witt has a larger role to play in the game than Ada has.[/spoiler]

I this career path Zoë has a different set of clothes and a different hairstyle. The clothes are fine in fact it is slightly sexier, but the hair doesn’t work at all. The Problem is she has a ponytail but instead of having it move around freely when she moves, then it sits perfectly still at a backwards angle, making it look like she has dipped her hair in quick-drying cement. If you want someone to have this hairstyle than you also have to go to the trouble of animating some hair movement, otherwise it simply looks weird. A bit of nitpicking but still a reason why I’m happy I went with the other path first.

A little warning for anybody else interested in replaying the first Book. The second book will continue with the choices you make in your last playthrough of book 1. But it does save all checkpoints from both playthroughs, so in order to have your first playthrough be the one that counts, you have to open a old savegame and replay the last part.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Whoa. That’s a nice incentive for a replay, although they should add different profiles for replays.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

subbi - 24 October 2014 07:44 AM

That’s a mouthful…..can you say quickly 3 times? Laughing

Why it’s storytime, hard to follow for you? Laughing

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top