• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Black Mirror

Total Posts: 512

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Zifnab - 01 October 2014 07:18 PM

*shrugs* I thought it was a good story. I was always interested to see what happened next and didn’t find it a slog, unlike BM2 and 3. Maybe it’s because I don’t consider the two problems you point out to be very important, or detrimental to the game’s wonderful atmosphere.

+1

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I’m playing it right now and kinda expected to find it a bit of a bore, but I’m actually finding myself enjoying it. I’m not very far into it, but I actually feel compelled to unravel what’s going on. The setting I find really effective in keeping me interested, in spite of the appalling dialogue. Similar thing happened to me recently with Chains Of Satinav, which I thought would be deadly dull (ala The Whispered World) but I found myself engaged to the very end. Who knows…maybe I’ve just rediscovered a fondness for very traditional old-school adventures. Probably depends on the mood I’m in too. One game I couldn’t get into recently was Night of the Rabbit, despite it more or less ticking all the boxes. Think sometimes you just have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate certain adventures.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I actually did enjoy the game for the first hour or so, but after that it became way too evident that the gameplay leans too much on frustrating pixelhunting. And it also has some questionable design choices where you need to just spend time by traveling from place to place before some things are unlocked.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

For me the game took a wrong turn somewhere around the midway point (once you find yourself in an abandoned mine, that’s when) and never picked up. However, I hope your experience would be more enjoyable.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Like A.A. I’ve just started this having picked it up in a sale recently. I’m one of those that hates starting a series part way through and BM wasn’t readily available in the UK for some reason.
Anyway, like most, I find the voice acting to be really poor and the wandering about to be slow (but I have found that double clicking does get you from A to B quicker when you’re actually changing screens) but I’m hoping the story keeps me interested as I’ve already got a copy of BM2 (which I believe is meant to be rather superior).

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I enjoyed BM2 more personally. It still has similar approach in gameplay, but thanks to hotspot revealer it is far less frustrating. I liked the plot better as well, though it does go south a bit after you get to England.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

A.A - 17 October 2014 08:28 PM

One game I couldn’t get into recently was Night of the Rabbit, despite it more or less ticking all the boxes. Think sometimes you just have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate certain adventures.

Or perhaps it is not about ticking all the right boxes, and the games you end up enjoying the most, is actually the games that fall outside your normal taste or preconception of what a good game is. I know that this has happened a least a couple of times for me.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I’m not having any issues with pixelhunting, mostly because I’m very thorough and slow player and tend to just click everything in sight multiple times, which is essential on several occasions in this game. There’s quite a bit of backtracking and whatnot, but I find generally instead of being a drawback, it tends to help me get immersed in the game world.

I did, however, just die after not saving for quite a while so I’m rather annoyed with it (and me) at the moment. It wasn’t an unfair death, it was a very silly thing for me to do, but I just guess I’m too used to games where the protagonist will tell me he can’t do that. That’ll teach me. But before that I had actually saved fairly frequently so… Bah! Wink

And it really can’t be understated just how atrocious the voice acting is. Pretty spectacular.

But overall still keeping me engaged.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top