• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbCharophyceanJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 22 September 2014

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

In Law & Order II: Double or Nothing (2003) the doorman of a Manhattan apartment block discovers the victim of a fatal shooting after returning to his post outside after a 15 minutes absence. 

Playing as detective, alongside Lenny Briscoe from the TV series, the goal of the 1st part of the game is to track down & arrest the murderer by interviewing people & submitting evidence /names of suspects to the appropriate team members based in Records, Surveillance & the research lab for further investigation. You also have the resources of the medical examiner & a psychiatrist. I really enjoyed piecing together the twists & turns of the story in this part of the game through using the various resources of the team members. 

I remember less about the 2nd part of the game where you play as prosecuting attorney Serena Southerlyn with the goal of obtaining a murder conviction in court, possibly because I found it frustrating! 

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I played only Justice is Served, and thought it was OK - and I remember it featured one fine music puzzle as well. The main “problem” is that it seems the series isn’t too “ambitious” to leap out of the TV show boundaries, serving (see what I did there?) only as a pleasurable “add-on” to the existing fans, or introduction to new ones. It’s most visible in the technical area and general “casual” feel.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 22 September 2014 08:13 AM

I played only Justice is Served, and thought it was OK - and I remember it featured one fine music puzzle as well. The main “problem” is that it seems the series isn’t too “ambitious” to leap out of the TV show boundaries, serving (see what I did there?) only as a pleasurable “add-on” to the existing fans, or introduction to new ones. It’s most visible in the technical area and general “casual” feel.

Yes! I saw!  Laughing  I never watched the TV show & if I did I’d probably know all the characters from the games I’ve played which is most of them in the series! (Some of the voice-acting is apparently by the cast of the show so it’s pretty good!) I never thought of the games as having a “casual feel” but yes, they’re very formulaic & you know what you’re going to get with each game! If you’re in the mood to play they’re for the most part ‘comfortable’!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Like diego, I’ve also only played Justice Is Served, and I agree. While enjoyable, these games are formulaic, easy, and ultimately rather forgettable. But they provide a decent distraction while they last…
The same can be said for the CSI games…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I prefered the sequel Law and Order III: Triple Threat Tongue

But seriously, I never played this game but this random tidbit controversy from the wiki is weird:

The game caused controversy in the United Kingdom after it was discovered that an in-game image depicting a fictional child abduction was in reality a genuine CCTV still of murdered toddler James Bulger being kidnapped by his killers. Because of this, the game’s distributors withdrew it from the shelves for a short period of time. A spokesman for the game’s developer, Legacy Interactive, said they were only made aware of the offending picture on June 17, 2007. “Obviously the game was out almost five years ago and this is the first time we knew anything about it otherwise we would never have put it out,” the spokesman said. An update patch was later released, which removes the image of Bulger from the game for anyone with an offending copy.

Developers should be careful when being lazy and using stock images from TV…

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve played three of the Law & Order games, but not Double or Nothing. The first game, as I recall, had a timed aspect that made it almost impossible to beat. I managed to complete it after it was patched to allow gamers to actually finish. The trial scenes in that game were quite frustrating, even after the patch. By the time Law & Order: Legacies rolled around, the series had become much easier gameplay-wise—Legacies felt more like a casual game than an adventure game.

I watched the Law & Order television series for years, and I enjoyed the games. But I wish the environments in the games had been larger, giving a better sense of what it’s like to explore New York City, instead of staying inside so many apartments and offices, with only quick glimpses of the streets and landmarks.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 22 September 2014 04:22 PM

By the time Law & Order: Legacies rolled around, the series had become much easier gameplay-wise—Legacies felt more like a casual game than an adventure game.

I watched the Law & Order television series for years, and I enjoyed the games. But I wish the environments in the games had been larger, giving a better sense of what it’s like to explore New York City, instead of staying inside so many apartments and offices, with only quick glimpses of the streets and landmarks.

Law & Order: Legacies is the only game I haven’t played as I thought it was aimed at the CG market - I enjoy many CGs but I had ‘my fingers burnt’ when I played the 1st CG offering of Art of Murder which I thought was dreadful & never finished so I’m put off from continuing an AG series as a CG!

I replayed through about 2/3rds of L&O 2 to try & capture some interesting screenshots but I agree with you that there just wasn’t enough sense of the environments & where you were in a large bustling city - & then most of the interior environments were obscured by this large notepad on the right-hand side!    Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top