• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Sherlock Holmes game: Crimes & Punishments

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

You’re all wrong. This is the best Sherlock!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Soon to be released, not seen much articles about it except this review:
http://www.ibtimes.com/sherlock-holmes-crimes-punishments-review-its-elementary-video-1695775

Invisible walls and loading screens don’t sound too good but seems like a positive view n the actual case-solving gameplay.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

This looks incredible… pretty atmospheric. I hope the puzzles hold up.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 29 September 2014 04:31 PM

Soon to be released, not seen much articles about it except this review:
http://www.ibtimes.com/sherlock-holmes-crimes-punishments-review-its-elementary-video-1695775

Invisible walls and loading screens don’t sound too good but seems like a positive view n the actual case-solving gameplay.

Soon to be released???

I was watching some guy on PS4 streaming this game.

And i was the only one watching his stream lol.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Well, It’s out now on Steam.

Character models look really stunning.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Hmm…probably not a good sign when the reviews the official twitter account is tweeting about are from “dealspwn” and “hookedgamers”. 

RPS absolutely LOATHED it. The reviewer hated Frogwares previous games as well, though, so not really a surprise. But it just reminded me why I keep most of my adventure game review reading to AG. I know John Walker plays and reviews many adventure games, but I don’t really like his style, particularly when he’s writing negative reviews. Even for games I’m not particularly fond of he has a habit of irking me. 

Having said that…he could very well be right. It might be rubbish. But hopefully not.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

From the RPS review it sounds like it has severe technical issues. It might be a good idea to wait for a while and look if those issues are patched out at some point.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I bought it late last night from PSN and played for a couple hours before going to bed. Personally, I thought it seemed quite interesting, but I haven’t played many other sherlock games, except for “The Testament of S.H.”. So far, though, Crimes and Punishments seems a little more engaging than TTOSH, but I’m too early in the game to pass any judgement at this point. What I can say is, it’s got some of the best graphics I’ve seen in an adventure game (though the lip-sync could be better). Also, I really appreciate that you can choose between 1st and 3rd person view.

A.A - 30 September 2014 08:45 AM

I know John Walker plays and reviews many adventure games, but I don’t really like his style, particularly when he’s writing negative reviews. Even for games I’m not particularly fond of he has a habit of irking me. 

Having said that…he could very well be right. It might be rubbish. But hopefully not.

I will never trust a John Walker review again, after having witnessed him invent reasons to bash on games on several occasions. That man can spot misogyny in a mountain stream Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

tomimt - 30 September 2014 09:20 AM

From the RPS review it sounds like it has severe technical issues. It might be a good idea to wait for a while and look if those issues are patched out at some point.

Most other reviews I’ve read have not been quite so damning in that regard. Might also depend on the version you play. I’ll be playing the PS3 version myself, so just have to wait and see.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

diego - 29 September 2014 04:43 PM

This looks incredible… pretty atmospheric. I hope the puzzles hold up.

This does not bode well:

Nor does this: “Other mini-games that grace us along the way include a repetitive and tiresome lock-picking puzzle, playing as Toby, Watson’s dog, following scents, arm-wrestling, fisticuffs, and taking someone’s pulse.”

Not that I am surprised, it just means I won’t be buying it. It’s a shame Frogwares have again put all their energy into letting us see every pore on Holmes’ face, while forcing us to endure such mindless puzzles, if they can be called that. What’s more a shame is that adventure game fans aren’t recognizing this as a decline of the highest magnitude of a company that once produced pretty decent detective games. As a prophet once said: “If you build it with pretty graphics, they will come…”

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Well, that’s all Telltale’s legacy and when I tried to warn about that I was abused and it was called bashing.
And now everybody can see what I feared of.

The genie is out of the bottle and there’s no turning back now!

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Nothing wrong with mini-games. Especially entirely skippable ones.

I think it’s worth giving the game a go if you want them to keep making these kinds of games.

I love their attempting to bring something new to the table. Disguises sound like a great idea (albeit one not utilised to its full potential from what I’ve read) for example.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Partially agree but line between parody and drama become vague then again.Btw i like to change Watson’s suit as well. Wink

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I don’t see the issue with the inclusion of the mini-games. They make up…what? 3% of the game? And someone mentioned they’re skippable as well? Don’t really see what all the fuss is about.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Origami - 01 October 2014 04:40 PM

I don’t see the issue with the inclusion of the mini-games. They make up…what? 3% of the game? And someone mentioned they’re skippable as well? Don’t really see what all the fuss is about.

There’s a couple of old timers here who are just cranky because time didn’t stop still in the early 90’s.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top