• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Journey Down

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Gabe - 21 May 2012 04:22 AM

Anyone playing this new episodic ag,is it near of fun Sam&Max;‘s level?

Not really. It feels very much like an amateur work, but fun. I’m still trying to decide whether I’ll be able to tolerate the main character’s voice for another episode Tongue

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Oscar - 26 June 2012 10:35 AM

Not really. It feels very much like an amateur work, but fun. I’m still trying to decide whether I’ll be able to tolerate the main character’s voice for another episode Tongue

I thought the voice acting was brilliant!

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

MartyMcFly - 26 June 2012 10:45 AM
Oscar - 26 June 2012 10:35 AM

I thought the voice acting was brilliant!

I’m sure it was, but this is coming from someone who dislikes human voices in general. (you won’t agree if you prefer third-person adventures)  Tongue

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

I must admit - I’m a total sucker for the dulcet tones of Rolf Saxon, or the comedic wit of Dominic Armato. Not to mention the classy delivery of Tony Plana. Tongue

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Ah well, Dominic Armato is one of the more tolerable voices in gaming. He’s also the complete opposite of Bwana on the scale of irritability.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Really liked this - very frustrated by the wait for the sequel.Highly recommended.

JB

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Second episode is just around the corner - 25th August

Pre-orders available:

http://www.thejourneydown.com/

With the added incentive of supporting Mavuno’s girl school project

The long wait between episodes sucks but looks like it keeps the very good production values, just hope this episode it’a a bit longer. I Enjoyed the first one, felt like a classic Lucasarts game with the quirky art style and characters.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

wilco - 27 July 2014 09:10 AM

The long wait between episodes sucks but looks like it keeps the very good production values

“Production values” - you would think good production values include the audience not having to wait a year to continue the story. Imagine you’re watching a movie and halfway through getting a big fat “to be continued…next year”. As far as I’m concerned, if it’s not finished, it’s not a “production” at all.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 27 July 2014 09:47 AM

“Production values” - you would think good production values include the audience not having to wait a year to continue the story. Imagine you’re watching a movie and halfway through getting a big fat “to be continued…next year”. As far as I’m concerned, if it’s not finished, it’s not a “production” at all.

You mean like LotR, Hobbit, Star Wars etc.? Wink

It might not be ideal, but if each “part” is enough self-contained so that you only need to remember the most important plot parts and/or has a resume at the beginning, then it doesn’t have to be a major issue, at least not for me. And if their options was to either make it like this or not make it at all, then I prefer this.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Zifnab - 27 July 2014 09:47 AM

The production values I was talking about were graphics, cutscenes, voice acting, music. The first episode was above most indie adventures in those categories. They are not just using pixel art, not that I have anything against it, but it’s refreshing to see a quality indie game that doesn’t use it. It sucks that it takes so long but I’m glad they are at least they keep going.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Chapter 2 is out!

Steam and [s]Humble store[/s] and http://www.thejourneydown.com/

Edit: Correction, not on humble store

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the episode.
Another good one, not sure how long it was but it felt longer than the first episode. It’s mostly an easy adventure but I liked the progression, everything felt natural with puzzles making sense. I think some of the backgrounds didn’t look as good sometimes but maybe it was a result of larger number of places to explore, but good quality of the characters, voice acting, cutscenes. Also liked the noir feeling.
Story and lore continue to be interesting and really want to see where it ends up but that brings me to the worst part of it that it’s waiting for the next one…
Recommended!

Again amazing soundtrack!

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Theo was kind enough to send me a few extra Steam codes. I’ll PM them to the first three people to request them here, so if you missed out on the earlier handouts and you’d like a copy of the game, now’s your chance.

Edit: This is for TJD2, just to clarify.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

also just finished it: loved it!
I love the soundtrack and the nods to Grim Fandango.
Puzzle wise it was fine, only the computer puzzle took me some attempts to figure out what input was needed. I would have liked that puzzle better if more inputs were accepted and recognized with an actual response. I read somewhere that they thought the last hieroglyph puzzle was tough, but I breezed trough Wink

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

One code claimed, two to go!
(To request a TJD2 Steam code, please post here, rather than PMing me.)

Oh, and Theo also sent me some TJD Chapter 1 codes, so get them while they’re hot! (Not stolen hot, just freshly baked hot.)

BIIW5-L6JH4-DNT37
W0CMX-768W3-ICNCK
PT9YV-XK8MP-PM79B

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top