• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Hey Hammie! Long time no see!

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Can I just say that it’s pretty hot where I live at the moment? I’m sweating profusely.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 19 July 2014 10:23 AM

Can I just say that it’s pretty hot where I live at the moment? I’m sweating profusely.

Can I second this?

It’s like 27°C in the coldest room of the house… Meh
Good luck sleeping in that…

Fortunately we’re expecting rain tonight. I wouldn’t mind a 10° temperature drop.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

How are you guys gonna survive Qatar worldcup?? Tongue

Its in 40s on average.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 19 July 2014 04:02 PM

Its in 40s on average.

Me? By staying home.
The footballers? Heck, with the amount of money they make, they can suck it up. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 20 July 2014 03:04 AM
nomadsoul - 19 July 2014 04:02 PM

Its in 40s on average.

Me? By staying home.
The footballers? Heck, with the amount of money they make, they can suck it up. Tongue

I think the same although it would be great to learn FIFA a lesson by not coming. But that will never happen.

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

I seem to be occupying a space somewhere between the protagonist of ‘Greenberg’ and the protagonist of ‘Punch-Drunk Love’; being slightly directionless and such.

I’d post here more but it never keeps me logged in.

Has this thread outlived the Original Thread (TM)?

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Hammerite - 20 July 2014 06:31 AM

I seem to be occupying a space somewhere between the protagonist of ‘Greenberg’ and the protagonist of ‘Punch-Drunk Love’; being slightly directionless and such.

I’d post here more but it never keeps me logged in.

Has this thread outlived the Original Thread (TM)?

The original Thread ran from April 12, 2005 to May 19, 2012, so no, not yet Smile.
Edit: this thread started on May 19, 2012, so we still have almost 5 years to go.

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2004-01-28

PM

Still plenty of time to kill it, then…

“I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.”

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Today I experienced the scare of my life. At about 1:00 PM California time, I got a phone call from an “IRS officer” who told me I have screwed up on three of my old tax forms in three years in a row which meant I was committing fraud (he mentioned money laundering and fraud) and that the case is going to court, and the only way to not go to jail tonight is if I give them money through some convoluted means which I will describe soon. The call back number was a generic number. I asked the guy how am I sure that you are not scamming me, and he said that he will call me back with the 1800 IRS number, and lo and behold, he called me back and it showed the IRS number on my phone. That’s when I started truly believing them.

So I had 2 options: I either give them the penalties I owe which are 2980.30 dollars (interesting random number there with cents and everything), or I would be needing to call a crime lawyer and spend the night in jail. Also if it goes to court, I will spend tens of thousands of dollars on lawyer fees. I was obviously scared shitless as I have never spent a day in jail in my life, and the guy sensed my fear and worked on that. Anyway he told me that I need to get that money cash, so I drive to the bank to get that money still believing their story. All throughout, he wanted me to stay on the phone (because obviously if I disconnect, I might call someone who would call the real IRS and tip them off).

Anyhow, went to the bank, withdrew the money, then he told me to go to CVS pharmacy (a drug store chain in the US), and when I got there, he told me to buy a Green Dot Money Pak and give them the cash through that. He also told me that usually people don’t pay taxes through that but because it is urgent, they have to use it. I talked to the store clerk about that card, and if it was ever used for taxes, and he told me about scamming and how it has been used for scamming before because the money is untraceable. Also CVS has a policy that you can only take two green dot money paks with 500 dollars each max, so the guy on the phone was telling me that I can go to one cashier, buy two, then go to another cashier and buy 2 (RED FLAG). I told him there was one cashier only open and he said, then get only two, and once the money is payed (1000 dollars), there is no worry anymore since then it won’t go to the judge. At that moment I completely read his BS. Everyone knows the IRS WILL NOT WAIT ON MONEY PAYMENT.

So anyway I told him I’m calling the IRS directly, and he said I wasted one hour of a federal officer’s time and that he will call the police. I got another phone call from the “police” saying they are DC police and sending someone from my area to pick me tonight. I told them fine, send them, and made my call to the real IRS. Turns out it was all a scam.

They all had a foreign accent(sounded Indian) on the phone which did give me warning signals at the beginning but my fear almost made me fall for the scam. The moral of the story is, if you get a phone call with the correct call back number, DO NOT TRUST IT. Seems they have the ability to fake that now.

THE END

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Wow what a story. Did you call the police?

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/a-scam-that-could-tax-you-dearly/2014/04/08/4d260d06-bf57-11e3-b195-dd0c1174052c_story.html

Seemingly that is a popular scam at the moment.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Well, sounds like a good thing we get our taxes done automatically here (well, mainly - some people need to add stuff that the tax people don’t know about but the “regular people” only have to check that the papers they send are correct)

At first I read that you got the call 1AM and thought “well that should’ve been your first clue” Wink Good thing you caught that on time. Too bad it’s so difficult to track these scammers, though…

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

soccer dude,

The mere fact that you almost bought it says a lot about your IRS.

Here in Holland, such a scam would be considered so ludicrous, I can’t imagine someone falling for it.
Most of our tax returns are automatically done and if someone at ‘our’ IRS would suspect us from fraudulent activities, there would be some written, official claim, in which they would decribe how much is owed. They would certainly not force is to pay an unexplained amount via questionable means during the phone conversation.

There would be time to investigate yourself before having to pay the amount asked.

There wasn’t one red flag in your story, there were multiple, from the very beginning.

But again, I donot live in the US and maybe you have good reason to fear them, to even suspect such ways to put pressure on you…..but that is a worrying development imo.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

subbi - 29 July 2014 07:43 AM

Here in Holland, such a scam would be considered so ludicrous, I can’t imagine someone falling for it.

It’s the same here in Belgium, yet people still fall victim to these kinds of scams. Some (mostly elderly) people are easily intimidated and/or far too trusting. That’s who gets targeted.
National news broadcasts occasionally warn against these types of scams. They wouldn’t do that if nobody ever fell for them…

subbi - 29 July 2014 07:43 AM

The mere fact that you almost bought it says a lot about your IRS.

Not necessarily. Scammers play to people’s fears. If they have an air of authenticity about them, they’ll get far with a lot of people…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top