• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Schizm: Mysterious Journey - graphical issues on Windows 7

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

I’m trying to play the CD version of Schizm on a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), an Intel i5-2430M CPU @2.40 GHz, 6 GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M updated to driver version 301.42.  I was able to get it working on my Windows XP laptop, so I have some idea of how it should look, but that computer is currently out of commission (charger issues), so I installed it on this one.  It installed without any problems and can be run without crashing or anything, but there are some graphical issues that make it nearly impossible to play.

When I start a new game, I can hear the voiceover and see captions, but the intro video isn’t visible. More importantly, only a sliver on the bottom of the screen is updated when moving between areas or switching between the characters, with the rest of the screen either being black or displaying a static image of the previous area (background animations simply don’t play). Bringing up the help menu and closing it sometimes reveals the whole screen - but only until I transition to a new area - although sometimes it has no effect and sometimes it only displays half of the screen, and it does nothing to alleviate the animation problem.

I’ve tried various compatibility modes to no avail as well as running the game as an administrator. Running it with 256 colors alleviates this problem, but it messes up the game’s colors and results in some other weird anomalies.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Joined 2007-06-03

PM

I have a desktop computer with Windows 7.  I had the exact same display problem.  I’ve tried a number of things, but nothing too sophisticated.  I’m no techie.  I got the game for under $10 on line, but I’m disappointed.  I thought it would be fun to try.  Have laid it aside for the past six months or so.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2010-09-15

PM

Sounds like a video issue to me - I remember this game from when it came out, just slighty after Myst 3, with very Myst-sytle packaging…

This game uses a system similar to the awkward QuickTime VR in The Crystal Key and those seen in the last two Zork games. ...
http://betax1.justadventure.com/Walkthroughs/SchizmDVD/SchizmDVD.shtm

So any troubleshooting should start there.

Joined 2013-01-22

PM

When I install the game in Windows 7, all I get is the little strip of graphics that others have mentioned.  But if I install it in VMLite XP, it works just fine.  Have you tried that approach?

Joined 2014-06-25

PM

I experienced similar problems when I first installed the game.  I have an All-In-One computer with NVIDIA GeForce GT620M graphics and an i7 INTEL CPU.  I reinstalled the game running the installer under Windows 95 compatibility, and, played the game with Windows 98/ME compatibility. I have only played about 15-20 minutes into the game, but have not experienced any problems. I have also restarted the game several times and have tested all the option screens - everything appears to be working fine. The key for me was to install the game using a Windows 95 configuration even though the game was written for Windows 98.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top