• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Weird Story of Waldemar the Warlock

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

“The Weird Story of Waldemar The Warlock is a classic point and click adventure game which combines vintage horror with dark humour. Mostly 2d, with very detailed and artistically painted backgrounds”

Looks quite promising, though the funding goal is quite modestly set at 40.000 pounds, from the looks of the trailer, it seems they’re aiming for top notch production values. Check out their kickstarter here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/encomplot/the-weird-story-of-waldemar-the-warlock?ref=card

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Walmart?

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

Voldemort + Walmart + Wally/Waldo = Waldemar?

An annoying wizard who tries to take over the world with his magic and his stores, while trying to hide wearing a silly outfit.

Crazy

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2013-11-05

PM

It looks awesome, one of the most polished adventure Kickstarter campaigns I’ve seen so far. Really hope they succeed.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-04-22

PM

Still one week to go. I hope it makes it , but it seems to be difficult even for such a professional-looking project and such a modest goal.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It looks great, so I have just decided to back it.

it is however questionable if they will make their goal with only 7 days to go.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

One thing that is actually stopping me to back this is their modest goal. While the game does look nice, I just can’t believe that they really could pull it off with the budget they propose, especially now that I’ve seen more experienced devs struggle with budgets much larger.

40k just sounds overly optimistic underestimation.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tomimt - 23 April 2014 03:30 AM

Cognition was made with less. St. Christopher’s School Lockdown is being made with a lot less.
Heck, Resonance got a whopping 2K$ from its Kickstarter (while demanding only 150$) and that turned out to be one of the better games of recent years.

Not every team is the same size, not every team employs people full-time, not every team will have the same costs, etc. If they want only 40K then that means they budgeted that amount. It also means it’s most likely a passion project, and those often get made for significantly less than their commercial studio counterparts.

I’m not convinced it’s an optimistic underestimation until I see evidence to the contrary…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

tomimt - 23 April 2014 03:30 AM

Well that is always something that is hard to judge. If it were a team starting from scratch, expecting a full salary during the entire development, and the kickstarter money was the only source of funding, then it certainly sounds very underestimated. But if you look at some of the quotes from the Kickstarter:

We invoke the magic of Kickstarter because we have a cherished project and we want to carry it out and finish it the way it has been conceived. We want to be able to dedicate all our time to this endeavour, and this is only viable financially if it is funded!

We have the game all thought out and quite a few characters and scenes designed and partially done already. We have detailed scripts of all the puzzles and the plot.

Then it suggest that it isn’t the case. That they have already done much of the game, either in their free-time or by some other means of funding, and is “only” looking for extra funding to finish the game, or finish it faster or making it better or longer.

But they could probably have explained this better.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 23 April 2014 11:36 AM

Cognition was made with less. St. Christopher’s School Lockdown is being made with a lot less.
Heck, Resonance got a whopping 2K$ from its Kickstarter (while demanding only 150$) and that turned out to be one of the better games of recent years.

I didn’t back any of those either, though Resonance and Cognition both happened far before my first KS backing, which was Broken Age like for many others.

But anyway, I do wish them good luck, I just don’t personally see this as a viable project.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

TimovieMan - 23 April 2014 11:36 AM

Resonance was picked up by Wadjet Eye games, who finished it (programming, voice over, Q&A/debugging), and Dave Gilbert’s company (i.e. him and his wife Janet :p ) probably made a good publishing deal with Vince XII to get some return on their investment.
Therefore, I don’t think it’s fair to label it as just a 2K$ game Wink

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

jaap - 23 April 2014 03:26 PM

Therefore, I don’t think it’s fair to label it as just a 2K$ game Wink

No it isn’t. But on similar lines, Waldemar the Warlock isn’t a $40K game either - they’ve already done quite a bit of the work on it, and that’s what they reckon they need to finish it. Obviously everyone is free to back or not back any/every kickstarter project, but I don’t understand why tomimt doesn’t think it’s a “viable project”. That was the point of the Cognition and Resonance comparison - they needed even less money yet produced very good (Cognition)/excellent (Resonance) adventure games.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Take into account it’s not $40k - it’s 40,000 British pounds, which is about $67,124.00 currently.  Still, a modest price to make a game.  It can be done, but it doesn’t mean it’s not difficult as hell!

Bt

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

DaveyB - 23 April 2014 03:40 PM

Obviously everyone is free to back or not back any/every kickstarter project, but I don’t understand why tomimt doesn’t think it’s a “viable project”. That was the point of the Cognition and Resonance comparison - they needed even less money yet produced very good (Cognition)/excellent (Resonance) adventure games.

^ This.

Thank you for clarifying my point better than I apparently did. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Unfortunately, they didn’t make it, ended up at about 50% of the goal.
But in the last update they said they’ll continue production and open up a pre-order option in the future.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Aww.  I made a pledge on this one, and I’m sorry they didn’t get funded.  I hope they’ll still continue making it.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top