• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Saw The Grand Budapest Hotel - and like all Wes Anderson movies that at least I’ve seen, it was charming and delightful. I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to see a really good new movie in the cinema. It happens so rarely with mainly nothing but blockbusters in the theaters.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

UPtimist - 17 April 2014 03:34 AM

Saw The Grand Budapest Hotel - and like all Wes Anderson movies that at least I’ve seen, it was charming and delightful. I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to see a really good new movie in the cinema. It happens so rarely with mainly nothing but blockbusters in the theaters.

I watched it a few days ago and indeed it was a good movie with very typical characters and many intricate dialogues. The friend with whom I went to see it found it ‘brilliant’ but I wouldn’t go that far. It was delightful and fun and I would like to see it again because it has so many small jokes that I must have missed quite a few of them.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

There’s an author Phyllis Mauch Messenger. Is her last name Mauch Messenger or just Messenger; or in other words, is “Mauch” a last name or first name?

Googling makes me believe last name.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Saw

Amazing Spider-Man 2 which was a fine action movie, but didn’t blow my socks off. Funny and exciting, but a bit slow in the middle. Also the ending seemed more like the set up for the next movie than a finale.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 2.5/5

The second Spider-Man film is a mixed bag. Is it a bad film? Absolutely not! Andrew Garfield is still perfect as Spider-Man (I love his chatty/snarky way of chasing bad guys), and there is a lot of chemistry between him and Emma Stone, making everything to do with Peter Parker (as opposed to Spider-Man) really good.
Where the movie suffers, however, is in its poor villains. Jamie Foxx as Electro is a bad character before his transformation and is an even worse one after. He just doesn’t work as a villain (he reminded me a bit of Nick Nolte’s character in Hulk - his presence also killed an otherwise good movie). And neither does Harry Osborn / Green Goblin. Harry Osborn and Peter Parker refer to themselves as “best friends” after not having seen each other in almost a decade, and having talked twice since. I just don’t buy it.
Plus Dane DeHaan (as Harry) seems to be putting more effort in NOT looking like a young Leonardo DiCaprio, than he puts in his actual character.
The best villains in this film are the delightfully over-the-top Paul Giamatti in his one-minute cameo, and a similarly short and hammy appearance by Marton Csokas as Dr. Kafka. That’s unfortunately saying a lot…
The music is pretty good, though. Hans Zimmer made a good mix of epic soundtrack and electronic samples (made with “The Magnificent Six”, a bunch that include Junkie XL and the omnipresent Pharrell Williams). While the underlying voice samples in the Times Square sequence could have been toned down a little, the soundtrack did a pretty good job. As did director Mark Webb in the action sequences imo.
The potential that was obviously present in this movie just got hampered by poor main villains and by trying to put too much content into one film (something the sequels in the previous trilogy suffered from as well). Less is more in these films, and the makers failed to see that here.
For this reason alone, I hope that Marvel/Disney get the movie rights to Spider-Man back from Sony ASAP (likewise for the X-Men movie rights at Fox). I have a lot more confidence in Disney handling the material (plus we could use Spidey and Wolverine in The Avengers). Cool

Wow, that last sentence is a statement I would *never* have made back when Eisner was trying to destroy in charge of Disney. Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Saw the Amazing Spider-Man 2, liked it a lot, thought it was better than Captain America 2 (Yeah, I may be alone in that one). Marc Webb is doing fine, the first movie suffered because it was another origin story (after Sam Raimi doing a good job) but this one, he knocked it out of the park.
The 2 main leads had great chemistry, the set pieces with Electro were “amazing”..., and surprisingly, I thought the Osborn actor did a good job.
The scene where Gwen dies was very well made, the theather gasped followed by a heavy silence (even with lots of kids around…).
Bring on Sinister Six and Amazing 3.

@Timovieman
Spider-man on the Avengers would be fun, but I don’t think Disney could be any more faithful to the comics than the new movies. Also I think the X-men movie should stay at Fox (as long as they keep Brett Ratner away from the franchise). The franchise is big enough to stand on it’s own and makes Disney go to the Marvel vault for other series (Guardians of the Galaxy!).

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Godzilla

Boy was it bad. The idea behind it was promising but it actually takes a lot of effort to F*** it up so bad. Everything was wrong about this movie: the almost non-existing story, the complete lack of any logical thought that went into making the movie, the emotions, the continuity… I could go on and on but then I would start to spoil things. Really this movie was a waste of good money. The only thing that was good about it were the sounds the two insect-like beings made. But you don’t go to a Godzilla movie for the sounds, unfortunately.

Don’t think I’m overreacting. The last Godzilla from 1995 was bad, but at least it was so bad we don’t remember anything from it. This new one will stay in my memory and haunt my dreams.

I should have asked for my money back but we were too busy running away from the cinema after the movie.

You know how some movies are so bad it’s funny again? This was not one of those movies.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Saw the Edge of Tomorrow.
Fun and entertaining sci-fi action movie, both leads do a good job and it’s a different twist on the Groundhog Day premise, but not has funny as Bill Murray of course (it does have some dark humour). Never read the source material but it made me interested has I’ve read it’s quite different.

Emily Blunt should’ve been Black Widow in the Marvel movies!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

X-Men: Days of Future Past - 3.5/5

VERY similar in feel and quality to X-Men: First Class, which is a major plus (and probably has something to do with Matthew Vaughn’s involvement in the production, script and his pre-production direction).
I like how they pull real life events into it (First Class had the Cuban missile crisis, this one has the JFK assassination and the 1973 Paris Peace Conference) and I absolutely love the performances by Michael Fassbender (who is easily the best actor of his generation and never ceases to be terrifying), Jennifer Lawrence (who obviously has a wider range than Rebecca Romijn did), Peter Dinklage, and the guy playing Nixon.
Also, the ultra-fast mutant Quicksilver has a couple of the best scenes in the film and I won’t mind seeing his character return in future installments. His Pentagon kitchen scene (in extreme slow motion) was beautifully directed and was the movie’s crowning moment (both in terms of humour and awesomeness).
Very, VERY solid X-Men film, despite the fact that the Bolivar Trask character has technology on hand in 1973 that surpasses what we have now.

wilco - 30 April 2014 02:17 PM

Also I think the X-men movie should stay at Fox (as long as they keep Brett Ratner away from the franchise). The franchise is big enough to stand on it’s own and makes Disney go to the Marvel vault for other series (Guardians of the Galaxy!).

Hugh Jackman is lobbying Fox and Disney to work together, so he can join the Avengers as Wolverine. Cool

And you’ll be happy to hear that Days of Future Past retcons X-Men: The Last Stand out of existence (actually, it retcons almost all other films - apart from First Class - out of existence). It acknowledges it was made, though… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 02 June 2014 06:52 AM

X-Men: Days of Future Past - 3.5/5

And you’ll be happy to hear that Days of Future Past retcons X-Men: The Last Stand out of existence (actually, it retcons almost all other films - apart from First Class - out of existence). It acknowledges it was made, though… Tongue

As a X-men geek I was there day one to see it, And, yes I was very happy that the Brett Ratner disgrace was retconned out of existence. Smile The ending was great seeing all the gang together. They even featured Kelsey Grammer as Beast that was the best thing about the X-Men 3 debacle (and was not a Ratner decision of course).

Still hurts that Singer couldn’t complete the Phoenix storyline, but he’ll probably cast a new Jean Grey now and incorporate into the Age of The Apocalypse. 

I agree with your review of DOFP, by the way, the casting of Magneto and Xavier was spot on, along with great acting sequences. I liked the way they used the more famous Wolverine has the connection from the future, but the movie was mostly about Magneto/Xavier/Mystique. Also a great job with the sentinels. I would give a bigger score but I’m biased Smile

I wouldn’t mind an X-man appearance in the Avengers and Hugh jackman does such a great job as Wolverine he probably deserves it, but I’m already not a big fan of the big crossovers in the comics, stuff like that in movies would probably be hard to deal with. And if anyone is going to be in the Avengers it should be Beast.  Nerd

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 03 June 2014 05:51 AM

I would give a bigger score but I’m biased Smile

It’s one of those cases (just like First Class was) where I keep going back and forth between 3.5 and 4 stars. But in such a case, I use the principle of “when in doubt, pick what’s closest to 2.5”...

As an aside: I think it’s really interesting to see the contrast between Fassbender and McKellen here, as we’re seeing Magneto both at his heroic best AND at his villainous worst out of any film the character’s been in so far.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

wilco - 29 May 2014 12:46 PM

Saw the Edge of Tomorrow.
Fun and entertaining sci-fi action movie, both leads do a good job and it’s a different twist on the Groundhog Day premise, but not has funny as Bill Murray of course (it does have some dark humour). Never read the source material but it made me interested has I’ve read it’s quite different.

Emily Blunt should’ve been Black Widow in the Marvel movies!

Saw this at the weekend and really enjoyed it.

As well as groundhog day, I thought it was a great metaphor for video games. Where you start off as a novice and by playing the levels repeatedly dying you manage to get further, improve your skills etc until you finish the game.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Funny that you keep mentioning Groundhog Day, as my first thought about the trailer was Source Code instead. Tongue

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2005-10-01

PM

Saw Under The Skin yesterday. Still digesting. Full of haunting imagery and not afraid of ambiguity. Interesting tension between the constant presence of an enormous, glamorous star (in the form of Scarlett Johanson) interacting mostly with non-actors. Not a lot of dialogue - always a plus for me.

Saw The Two Faces of January today. Respectable but not all that memorable entry in the “tastefully shot depiction of shady expatriates in exotic locations” genre. The first half or so is very engaging and then I found the protagonist’s behaviour repeatedly shifted quite erratically and implausibly, causing me to lose interest.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-07-02

PM

Saw XMen the other day and Enjoyed it. GODZILLA tonight though!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top