• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

xxax - 18 April 2014 08:44 AM

I don’t think your Mona Lisa analogy works.

Just to clarify, it wasn’t my analogy. I didn’t bring it up originally but I started using it instead of repeating “a piece of art”.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

millenia - 18 April 2014 02:35 PM

Btw, I wouldn’t really want them to make a 2D remake of GK3. While the models weren’t exactly beautiful, the gameplay was great and I feel that changing it would take a lot from the enjoyment.

I agree that the later games should be left to stand on their own, though my opinion of the problems with the early 3D of GK3 is pretty much exactly the opposite as yours.  I didn’t have a problem with the aesthetics of the early 3D, it was the gameplay that I found tiresome and tedious.  Navigating slow characters through lifeless 3D environments that were about 3 times larger than they really needed to be felt like a real chore to me.  And yes, I’m aware of the ability to skip walking by moving the camera—still doesn’t do it for me.  Smile

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Also, sidenote—LOL at people talking about the Mona Lisa and its history as if they are doing anything other than quick Google searches on the topic.  Wink

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Lambonius - 18 April 2014 02:39 PM
millenia - 18 April 2014 02:35 PM

Btw, I wouldn’t really want them to make a 2D remake of GK3. While the models weren’t exactly beautiful, the gameplay was great and I feel that changing it would take a lot from the enjoyment.

I agree that the later games should be left to stand on their own, though my opinion of the problems with the early 3D of GK3 is pretty much exactly the opposite as yours.  I didn’t have a problem with the aesthetics of the early 3D, it was the gameplay that I found tiresome and tedious.  Navigating slow characters through lifeless 3D environments that were about 3 times larger than they really needed to be felt like a real chore to me.  And yes, I’m aware of the ability to skip walking by moving the camera—still doesn’t do it for me.  Smile

Nah, I didn’t have “a problem” with the aesthetics, it was fine. I never was a graphics nerd. But you know, your problem wouldn’t have been a problem if the environments were really beautiful Wink. I just acknowledged that the models weren’t that great but they did what they needed to do. I could immerse myself into the game and actually the facial expressions etc. on the models were pretty good.

I agree that sometimes there was a bit too much walking around, but mostly it was nice to be able to take use of the space. These days I’m really used to the whole camera behind character movement from all the MMOs I’ve played and I like it. I like being able to look around instead of pixel hunting. And it gives an opportunity to make another type of puzzles.

Also, I don’t know a thing about Mona Lisa really, didn’t even Google it, but I have my views on art. And making new art from the old is in my opinion a good thing, almost every time.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

millenia - 18 April 2014 03:37 PM

[But you know, your problem wouldn’t have been a problem if the environments were really beautiful Wink.

You’re exactly right!  But they weren’t, unfortunately.  And it made the extra space seem tedious.  So I guess it’s partly an aesthetic thing, at least for those big open environments, but the characters were fine, and some of the smaller environments, like inside the church in Renne Le Chateau, weren’t bad at all, for the time.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Also, I don’t know a thing about Mona Lisa really, didn’t even Google it, but I have my views on art. And making new art from the old is in my opinion a good thing, almost every time.

I’ll give you Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini as being a worthy new masterpiece derived from old. But you, or whomever started the Mona Lisa analogy implied that adventure games are an art form and thus a sequel, remake etc., are equivalent to my classical music example. I beg to differ.

Making new are from old starts with what constitutes old art. Roy Lichtenstein’s Soup Cans are art. But I doubt anyone thinks that the original soup can labels, from which the latter is derived, are art. He created new art from non-art.

And then we can look at movies, and/or television shows that attempt to recapture the magic of the original, and fail miserably. Too many to mention.

So, I think your statement that “.. making new art from the old is in my opinion a good thing, almost every time.” is way off base.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

rtrooney - 18 April 2014 09:02 PM

Roy Lichtenstein’s Soup Cans are art.

Warhol, you mean.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

McCartney’s “Maybe I’m Amazed”... the later, live version, is far superior to the original Studio Recording.  So, yeah, an artist can revisit their own work and sometimes surpass the original.  It is a possibility, however, it’s rare!

Bt

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lambonius - 18 April 2014 09:04 PM

Roy Lichtenstein’s Soup Cans are art.

Warhol, you mean.

Correct. Lichhtenstein was initially more comic character revisit. But, in terms of the ‘argument’ does it really make a difference?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ll give you Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini as being a worthy new masterpiece derived from old. But you, or whomever started the Mona Lisa analogy implied that adventure games are an art form and thus a sequel, remake etc., are equivalent to my classical music example. I beg to differ.

Making new are from old starts with what constitutes old art. Roy Lichtenstein’s Soup Cans are art. But I doubt anyone thinks that the original soup can labels, from which the latter is derived, are art. He created new art from non-art.

And then we can look at movies, and/or television shows that attempt to recapture the magic of the original, and fail miserably. Too many to mention.

So, I think your statement that “.. making new art from the old is in my opinion a good thing, almost every time.” is way off base.

No it’s not. Not every piece of art has to be excellent or better than before. It’s not the destination, it’s the journey. I applaud even the crappiest pieces of work that people try to do, with their set of (creative) skills. We have so much wonderful art because so many people try (and fail).

I love my masterpieces but I can definitely enjoy the less perfect works too.

And to me every piece of entertainment is art in one sense. Games very much so, even the simplest ping pong ones.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

TimovieMan - 18 April 2014 11:47 AM

Obvious proof that you never read the original book short story. Wink

It may not be a better film but its a lot closer to the original short just because mars doesn’t play a pinnacle role in the environment. Also, I did read it and a lot of the major plot points mach the short story. Furthermore, short stories can be found in books. So…yeah, a little demeaning on your part, but I’m glad you at least saw my point.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monolith - 19 April 2014 03:44 AM

It may not be a better film but its a lot closer to the original short just because mars doesn’t play a pinnacle role in the environment.

Please, name one element from the short short story that was in the remake but NOT in Verhoeven’s film.

but I’m glad you at least saw my point.

You made a good point. You just picked an imo really poor example to prove it… Wink Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2003-09-14

PM

Did anyone see the new pictures that were quietly added to the Adventure Gamers homepage?

Gotta say, this one looks pretty good:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/screenshots/view/25448/44340

Any news on when this is coming out? AG’s game info page says mid-2014.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Dear POS developers could you make color options (black-grey-brown) for Gabriel’s coat?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Beta time? Cool stuff, was not expecting it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top