• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest announced (Re-imagined by The Odd Gentlemen) 

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Another very positive article:

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-the-kings-quest-demo-reignited-my-love-of-adventure-games/

From my half hour demo of King’s Quest, I think it looks and moves like The Walking Dead, but plays much like a point-and-click adventure. It’s obviously in 3D, and Graham can be moved around with a mouse or a controller. Context-sensitive interactions like “look” and “pick up” are mapped to face buttons and show up as big icons on-screen (Korba says they drew inspiration from King’s Quest V for these). Graham automatically leaps gaps and climbs outcrops. The game’s recent trailer, showing Graham traipsing around the 3D environments, made King’s Quest look like a platformer. That’s the skin. The bones are pure classic adventure.

That does sound good

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

About the controls - I might be misremembering because I was not actually using the controller, just watching, but I don’t think that “context sensitive” means “smart cursor that does everything for you with just one click”.

Matt said they wanted to combine the simplicity of a KQ7 style smart cursor with the variety of icons in KQ5 and KQ6—to give you the ability to do the different actions that the earlier point-and-click KQ games gave you, without making you cycle through every icon to see which would work. So I *think* it’s actually that the available actions appear on screen, with actions mapped to controller buttons, and you select the one you want. Sometimes there might only be one, sometimes there might be more than one.

If I’m getting this right (and it seems consistent the PC Gamer quote wilco posted), then it’s how most adventure games work nowadays and it’s not really too different than a Full Throttle style verb coin.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 06 March 2015 07:21 PM

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-the-kings-quest-demo-reignited-my-love-of-adventure-games/

From my half hour demo of King’s Quest, I think it looks and moves like The Walking Dead, but plays much like a point-and-click adventure. It’s obviously in 3D, and Graham can be moved around with a mouse or a controller. Context-sensitive interactions like “look” and “pick up” are mapped to face buttons and show up as big icons on-screen (Korba says they drew inspiration from King’s Quest V for these). Graham automatically leaps gaps and climbs outcrops. The game’s recent trailer, showing Graham traipsing around the 3D environments, made King’s Quest look like a platformer. That’s the skin. The bones are pure classic adventure.

That does sound good

Really good preview Thumbs Up , answers all the queries.
I too do not want hard puzzles, i think mixing of genres is better than old methods,
they have to make money and get new people on the board too, while giving more
control.

Today’s point-and-click adventures are reliant on nostalgia, like welcoming the return of old friends. But King’s Quest seems like it has a shot at being something more, and that makes me excited to see where the genre goes next, rather than the path it’s already walked.

Yeah, lamb comments are full of sodium content. Smile

fov - 06 March 2015 07:57 PM

If I’m getting this right (and it seems consistent the PC Gamer quote wilco posted), then it’s how most adventure games work nowadays and it’s not really too different than a Full Throttle style verb coin.

Thats exactly my impression from preview, context sensitive actions like Fullthrottle, mapped on Buttons is as good as clicking on it and then selecting one of the 4 verb options.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

nomadsoul - 06 March 2015 08:03 PM

Thats exactly my impression from preview, context sensitive actions like Fullthrottle, mapped on Buttons is as good as clicking on it and then selecting one of the 4 verb options.

Full Throttle’s verb coin was not context sensitive.  You got the same set of choices for every hotspot you clicked it on.  Not all the responses were unique, but enough were that you felt like you had multiple ways of interacting.  The idea of removing interactions that aren’t consequential to the plot/puzzle solution is troubling, though the idea that there would actually be more than one way to interact with most hotspots does at least raise my hopes by a sliver or two.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

In that very same article, the writer says that his main concern is that all the puzzles he saw were dead easy, even goes so far as to call it a “modern concession.”

Best not to get your hopes too high.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I was as skeptical as Lamb about this game from the get-go, especially when Roberta tried giving Korba that adventurers cap, and he instantly took it off, looked like he was embarrassed to wear it and just handed it to someone else (I mean, what was up with that? That should’ve been a tremendous honor), but after reading those reviews, I feel a little relieved. Good thing the rights went back to activision (from TellTale). I absolutely love the concept art, holy crap.

I hope the puzzles gets more challenging as the game progresses, but I’m more concerned whether there will be any real exploration. The original Kings Quests were pretty much open world games, it wouldn’t be true to the series to go all linear. There should be forests with cabins, small villages, lakes and rivers, royal palaces, deserts and seas… all of them accessible at once. Not getting my hopes up on that one, though Wink

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

Lambonius - 07 March 2015 01:40 AM

In that very same article, the writer says that his main concern is that all the puzzles he saw were dead easy, even goes so far as to call it a “modern concession.”

Dude, we get it. You view the game as Mask of Eternity II. Don’t buy it. You don’t need to keep hammering the same “I dislike this game” point over and over again. Don’t buy it.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Dance Magic Dance - 07 March 2015 02:56 AM

Dude, we get it. You view the game as Mask of Eternity II. Don’t buy it. You don’t need to keep hammering the same “I dislike this game” point over and over again. Don’t buy it.

I don’t dislike this game; I haven’t played it.  I do dislike what I’m reading about it, specifically as pertains to “puzzles” geared towards contemporary attention-span-of-a-gnat gamers.

I’m not just repeating the same thing over and over; I’m being quite clear about articulating different specific aspects of the recent press that trouble me.

Mask of Eternity II

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

Lambonius - 07 March 2015 04:15 AM

I don’t dislike this game; I haven’t played it.  I do dislike what I’m reading about it, specifically as pertains to “puzzles” geared towards contemporary attention-span-of-a-gnat gamers.

I’m not just repeating the same thing over and over; I’m being quite clear about articulating different specific aspects of the recent press that trouble me.

Mask of Eternity II

You are just repeating the same thing over and over and have since the beginning. “The gameplay will be dumbed down” “Lower your expectations”, “It will be just like Telltale” etc etc…Every time people get optimistic, you have to come to try to crush that. I understand you don’t want another King’s Quest; that’s fine. But others do. And while the conservative fans are a loud minority, the majority are liking what they see. You’re acting as if this game is going to be like TTG’s Jurassic Park; little more than an interactive movie.

TSL, I hate to defend it, but it’s first episode had easy puzzles, to act as an introductory chapter for newbies and to get them acclimated to the game. It has been stated that the demo only really consists of a tutorial level where there are simplistic puzzles, but even the creators have said the puzzles get harder as time goes on.

It just seems like with you, there can never be any optimism, always skepticism, always cynicism, always doubt, always needing to be negative when most others are positive. The hardline conservative KQ fans are becoming quite an irritant, for they’ll kill the game and the franchise out of nothing more than extreme “nothing must change beyond 1992 era standards” purism.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lambonius - 07 March 2015 01:40 AM

If it was published by phoenix online studio, would you have chosen same current stance? :p

I guess not, and would suggest to embrace this game with open mind.

Team has talent, let’s see how ep1 turns out to be, and then we can gauge response, at its worst its not TTG situation.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Please don’t even mention Phoenix online, one of the few that could make this even worse than it seems to be now. It looks like the best we can get is another dumbed-down Telltale’s animated movie.
At least there is hope that the technical aspects will be good.

I still cannot get out of my head a picture of that guy “spitting” on adventurer’s hat entrusted to him by none other but the one and only Roberta Angry

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Bogi - 07 March 2015 11:05 AM

I still cannot get out of my head a picture of that guy “spitting” on adventurers hat entrusted to him by none other but the one and only Roberta Angry

Yeah, that took me by surprise.. Not quite the reaction one would expect from a true adventure game fan.

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Dag - 07 March 2015 11:48 AM

I still cannot get out of my head a picture of that guy “spitting” on adventurers hat entrusted to him by none other but the one and only Roberta Angry

Yeah, that took me by surprise.. Not quite the reaction one would expect from a true adventure game fan.

This seems a harsh interpretation to me.

Matt Korba accepted the hat graciously and seems happy to wear it. Sure, he looks a little embarrassed or nervous in an “I can’t believe this is happening” way, but you have to remember that many people (and in my experience, especially game developers) are shy, and here he is in a huge awards show accepting a gift from a game industry icon.

As for why he then takes the hat off, he looks toward his team’s producer Lindsey Rostal, and I’m not sure if that’s because he’s having trouble with the hat (he fidgets with it as if he’s having trouble keeping it on his head) or if he’s thinking about sharing it with her to hold or wear. You can see that Lindsey looks unsure what Matt wants to do (keep the hat or hand it off), she reaches out for the hat, and he shares it with her to wear while he gives his speech. It looks to me that this isn’t necessarily much different from when teams pass an Oscar around to hold. It just has some added awkwardness because game industry people aren’t as used to big award shows or as well-prepped on what to do as top movie industry people are.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Caliburn - 07 March 2015 12:22 PM
Dag - 07 March 2015 11:48 AM

This seems a harsh interpretation to me.

My interpretation was simply that Korba looked like he felt silly wearing the hat, and instantly took it off in embarrassment. I know a thing or two about stage fright, the hat does look rather silly, so I absolutely get that Tongue but considering what it was a symbol of, and who gave it to him, he should’ve worn it proudly.

He probably just wasn’t prepared to stand on stage in front of a huge audience wearing a silly hat, and may have handled it differently if he’d been told beforehand what was gonna happen Tongue Or maybe he felt that that woman on the team was more deserving of the cap than himself? I don’t know, but the whole thing looked kinda awkward.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

nomadsoul - 07 March 2015 06:40 AM

If it was published by phoenix online studio, would you have chosen same current stance? :p

I guess not, and would suggest to embrace this game with open mind.

You guys are hilarious, and also have really bad memories.

If POS was making a new KQ, and I was able to see enough of it that I was concerned about the quality of its puzzles, or anything else for that matter, you bet I’d be bitching about it.  I don’t work for them—never have.  This is no different.  From what I’ve seen, I’m not optimistic.  And frankly, I don’t think enough good stuff has been shown that anyone should rightfully be optimistic, and I think a lot of people are getting sucked into Activision/New-Sierra’s carefully orchestrated hype machine.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top