• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough - Angelica Weaver

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 29 August 2014 10:03 AM

Game logic perhaps, but no more than items disappearing from the inventory when they have served their purpose.

Or being able to carry around a ladder and ten 3lb bricks in your back pocket. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Should have said, I am ready for the next section.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Still not at the coin puzzle—will try to catch up.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Ready for the next section too.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Up and running.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK then! It seems that almost everyone is ready to go forward.

This section is going to be longer. There will be a fair amount of hunting for things. This segment also includes one of the harder logic puzzles in the game.

I did solve it, but only by brute force and a lot of luck.

Let’s try to finish this segment by Monday September 1.

You will know when your finished when you are looking at the Wooden Gate puzzle.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Done. Took me about 50 minutes, so I’ve passed the two-hour mark on the game (2 hours and 10 minutes total).

This section was a bit harder. Took me a few minutes before I figured out how to even start the coin puzzle (which surprised me as I only had two screens that I could visit at the time). Solving it was very easy, and I wonder why I didn’t get my “solved it on the first attempt” achievement. Oh well, I’ve mostly given up on these achievements anyway. Tongue

That desk logic puzzle needed to be reset a few times before I managed to understand most of its mechanics so I could solve it. Wasn’t that hard, but it wasn’t particularly easy either. Solving it was a mix of deduction and trial-and-error.

More running back-and-forth between the locations this time, and there were a few more locations than in previous sections, so it was a bit more challenging. Especially since I had missed the crowbar substitute at first.

I also made the mistake again of clicking way too fast during the HOG, which meant that I only half caught Angelica’s remark about the expensive perfume bottle

As for the plot, we know little more now than we did after the previous section, except that we now have three suspects, and a lot more links between the London cases and the Chicago cases. John Druitt and John Pizer were both suspects in the real-life Jack the Ripper cases, so the links with Jack the Ripper are even more obvious now. Robert Mann wasn’t a suspect though (at least not according to the wiki). That either means that he’s the fall guy as suggested in the game, or that he’s the actual culprit (since a work of fiction like this probably doesn’t want to hit too close to the actual case).

I still think the entire London section is a vision, so no actual time-traveling is taking place. And I’m going for an actual copycat in present-day Chicago. The simplest solutions are often the right ones. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I finally got to the scattered money (that was clumsy—not at all like Angelica). I’ve been noticing more dreamcatchers in the sky. They appear slowly and then disappear.

Here’s one in the main menu.

And another near the money scene.

While standing just outside the victim’s room, a long, gloved hand reached out suddenly. Nothing seemed to happen as a result. Still, it was strange.

Plot exposition seems to have slowed in this part of the game—there’s more puzzling to do, with little bits of story surfacing as I puzzle along.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

This section kept me busy for about 40 min. I have a problem with the directional arrows, either finding them on the screen or going back.
Another bit of the confusion was the forceps. They are backhaus towel clamps used to pin things together, not for grasping. It wasn’t until I did the old try everything that I realized they expected you to pull out nails with them. The desk puzzle was promising, but easy once I got the gist of what to do. I’m a bit confused about the story, I keep missing some dialogue from clicking too quickly (force of habit). Thanks to everyone who is posting their theories. I’m leaning towards a dream sequence due to the dream catcher motif. I think Angelica can access ‘caught’ dreams and replay them in a virtual reality like manner.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

If these are vivid dream or memory sequences, what is happening to Angelica back in Chicago as she inhabits/processes these long sequences? Is she just standing alone on the sidewalk in a trance?

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Becky - 30 August 2014 09:24 AM

If these are vivid dream or memory sequences, what is happening to Angelica back in Chicago as she inhabits/processes these long sequences? Is she just standing alone on the sidewalk in a trance?

Pretty much. I’ll use the excuse that time can pass in a flash with a daydream.I guess I was just trying to make more out of the dream catcher theme than there is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 30 August 2014 09:24 AM

No, she is walking around doing all the same movements in real life, much to the amusement of the small crowd that has gathered to see the crazy women who is staggering around making strange hand movements and mumbling to herself Tongue

I have finished the next two sections now, and let me first say:

A vision within a vision, how cool is that? It kind of reminds me of the movie eXistenZ.

Though I must admit that this scene felt a bit weird:

Reaching inside a man’s coat to take something while he is wearing the coat, without any kind of pickpocketing, especially since it looked like that she just put her hand right through him - I half expected that she would pull out his spleen or something.

Regarding the story It looks like the modern day victims are all descendent of the victims in 19 century London. Not a big surprise as there has to be some reason for why the modern killer chose exactly those victims, and since Angelica seems to believe that solving the old murders will lead her to the modern killer, then it adds to my suspicion that the modern killer is a descendant of Jack the Ripper.

I must admit that solving the code lock puzzle actually had me stumped for a while, ironically I don’t think it would have been a problem in a AG. The reason being that I normally make different notes, but I didn’t think it would be necessary in this game, so I didn’t make any notes of the different marks that we find. So I guess that it was a result of me underestimating the difficult of the game.

Otherwise I didn’t really have any problems with the puzzles. The coin puzzle was quite easy (and I did get the Penny Pincher achievement Tongue), and I also didn’t find the desk puzzle too hard. It did take a couple of tries before I understood the mechanics, but once I understood it, it wasn’t that difficult. I did have to use the hints a couple of times, but this was to find different items and directional arrows that I had missed, not as such to solve the puzzles.

Well… I have meet a couple of women that… I better keep my mouth shut here.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I should have congratulated everyone who arrived at the coin puzzle. I think finding the solution to the combination lock is a rather devious little puzzle in itself. Deciphering and combining information from four different locations into a sequence that yields the correct combination requires, I thought, some seriousoly logical thinking.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 30 August 2014 08:23 AM

While standing just outside the victim’s room, a long, gloved hand reached out suddenly. Nothing seemed to happen as a result. Still, it was strange.

Yeah I also found that extremely strange, not quite sure what to make of it besides perhaps a little jump scare.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

So far I haven’t used any hints.  I automatically wrote down the symbols for the lock puzzle and found that fairly easy to solve.  The coin puzzle was also easy, but I accidently clicked slightly off center of one of the last 5 coin piles and had to do it again. Tongue

Have to find the locket.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top