• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckychrissiefurgotten

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games like Majora’s Mask

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve been playing Zelda: Majora’s Mask for the first time. Really different Zelda game and has even more adventure game elements than other Zelda games.

One of coolest elements of the game is the ability to control time. To anyone not familiar with it - the game is set in 3 days and time never stops. At the end of the 3 days you can just go back in time and start again retaining some items and abilities.
NPCs during those 3 days have their own schedule and do the same scheduled activities at specific times of the day. A lot of the side quest puzzles involve learning that schedule interacting with the NPCs at specific times.

I think The Last Express also works like this, right? (a game I really need to play)

Any more adventures with this “real-time”, control time mechanic?

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Braid, Ghost Trick, Shadow of Memories, Time Hollow come to mind.

And isn’t there a game where you alter between two characters in different time periods, where ones actions changes things in the future?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Braid is different, you control time but there is no real-time events occurring that don’t involve the player.

Deadly Premonition has NPC scheduled activities but is mostly the same thing happening every day. There is no time limit.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Hey! its already hard enough getting people not associate the word adventure with just zelda Tongue

But yeah, i know what you mean, majoras mask in particular has a lot of problem solving. I wasnt really a big fan of the game with the repeated time looping though.. that got old.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Origami - 30 March 2015 06:47 AM

And isn’t there a game where you alter between two characters in different time periods, where ones actions changes things in the future?

Day of the Tentacle! Also the last chapter of Lost Horizon. I’m sure there are others as well.

As for the OP, being in real-time and allowing the manipulation of time to “try again” certainly sounds like it’s the system used in both The Last Express and most of Ghost Trick.
I haven’t played it, but like Origami suggested, Shadow of Memories may count as well.

Time Hollow is a different entity as it’s not real-time. All you do is change certain small things in the past so you have a slightly different present. Still, a great game if you ask me.

Time manipulation makes for interesting games, even in other genres, imo. Cool
But this is not the place for me to rave about the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time trilogy. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Mmm, Ghost Trick is like that but in a more limited scale.
Shadow of Memories is a good suggestion, my memory is a bit fuzy on that one. Have to replay it.

TimovieMan - 30 March 2015 03:37 PM

Time manipulation makes for interesting games, even in other genres, imo. Cool
But this is not the place for me to rave about the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time trilogy. Tongue

It’s always a good time to talk about how good Sands of Time is Smile

But ignoring the time manipulation bit, what about adventure games in real-time? Or pseudo real-time where stuff keeps happening independent of the protagonist or what he does?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 31 March 2015 01:45 PM

But ignoring the time manipulation bit, what about adventure games in real-time? Or pseudo real-time where stuff keeps happening independent of the protagonist or what he does?

That’s one of the greatest AG that most of the gamers don’t know and haven’t played and I kept it secret. :p

Other known one, Clock tower, you can meet miss scenarios and characters.

Mizuna falls is like deadly premonition.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s The Last Express again. Tongue

It’s always a good time to talk about how good Sands of Time is Smile

Time, yes. But I said ‘place’. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lots of them. Maupiti Island, Deadline, The Scoop, B.A.T, Rise of the Dragon.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Oscar - 01 April 2015 12:29 AM

Lots of them. Maupiti Island, Deadline, The Scoop, B.A.T, Rise of the Dragon.

Wow.  Someone else remembers The Scoop too.  Yum

I started this topic about it a few years ago:  http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29169

It very much fit this mold (without being able to manipulate time), and took it farther than nearly any other game ever did.  For it’s time, especially, it was extremely revolutionary.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll look into those. The Scoop in particular looks interesting.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sinking Island is another one, though here I found it to be mainly an annoyance, especially if your wife or boss calls you just when you are about to interview someone, and you can’t find them again afterwards.

Culpa Innata also had pseudo real-time, where you could only perform one action at each time-slot, and depending on how much time you waste, then you could finish the whole thing in a couple of weeks or it could take several months.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I just finished Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward and that game have more or less all the things you describe. You can travel back and forth in time to gather more clues and make different decisions.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Henke - 06 April 2015 01:49 AM

I just finished Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward and that game have more or less all the things you describe. You can travel back and forth in time to gather more clues and make different decisions.

^ Seconded.

The whole “jumping back and forth to other timelines” did everything right that the first game got wrong (by forcing you to replay the entire thing from scratch).
If the third game ever gets made, I’m sure it’d qualify as well.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Saw this news on the front page about a new kickstarter.

Elsinore

Elsinore is a point-and-click adventure game with time loops; at its core, it’s Shakespeare meets Majora’s Mask/Groundhog Day.

Guess I have to back this one Smile
Seems interesting

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top