• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2014

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well this year is not the best witnessed, maybe the worst since many years; low number of releases and nothing really that could be called a gem expect for one or two at max!

but away from the Aggies categories which I can come to its expectations later on, I will only bring out the most that enjoyed through it/this year hotspots:

Blackwell Epiphany
The Journey Down: Chapter 2
Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse Episode 2
Broken Age Episode 1
Kentucky Route Zero: Act 3
Memento Mori 2: Guardians of Immortality
Moebius: Empire Rising
Gabriel Knight Remake
Randal’s Monday
The Samaritan Paradox
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
The Golden Wake
1954: Alcatraz
The Dream Machine 5
The Silent Age
Shadowgate Remake
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (edited)
Edited/Added:
The Walking Dead: Season 2
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Dreamfall Chapters - Episode 1
The Wolf Among Us
Tesla Effect
Talos Principle
Quest for Infamy
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Danganronpa 1 & 2
A Bird Story
Ossuary
Tengami
The Novelist
Carol Reed: Bosch’s Damnation
Detective Grimoire
J.U.L.I.A. among the Stars
Capri Connection
Jazzpunk

anything else?

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I really liked The Wolf Among Us and Broken Age part 1. Is AG going to do Aggies 2014 this year? I really enjoyed the ones from prior years and hope they will have one.

Edit: and how can I forget Valiant Hearts.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yea, right Broken Age is considered to be of this year, it was so early I forgotten bout it.

every year there is this Aggies Awards taking place here, I think yea, The crew must be cooking it, or about to ..

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You could add Ether One and Tesla Effect, and Talos Principle. I thought it was a great year, and from memory a much better year than 2013.

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

What about Quest for Infamy?

Also I haven’t played it yet but Detective Case and Clown Bot looked good.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Advie - 27 January 2015 10:41 PM

Blackwell Epiphany
The Journey Down: Chapter 2
Broken Sword 5: The Serpent’s Curse Episode 2
Kentucky Route Zero: Act 3
Memento Mori 2: Guardians of Immortality
Moebius: Empire Rising
Gabriel Knight Remake
Randal’s Monday
The Samaritan Paradox
The Golden Wake
1954: Alcatraz
The Dream Machine 5
The Silent Age
Shadowgate Remake

Sherlock Holmes: C&P was so good it’s mentioned twice? :P

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Hopefully this year will be better. Daedalic seem to releasing quite a few good looking things throughout the year and we now have Life is Strange, Telltale, Stasis, Anna’s Quest, The Devil’s men among other titles.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I don’t think there will be another year like 2014 in the near future, with so many good or anticipated releases. Kickstarter is no longer big news, Asylum or The Last Crown will probably keep getting postponed for another 2-3-100 years, there’s nothing adventurous left in Telltale’s “games”. So it’s a great chance to celebrate this short-lasting adventure fest.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I hope you’re not referring to the lack of puzzles in their games. If so, I’m sorry to say you’re in the wrong there. Adventure games aren’t defined by their puzzles. Puzzles are a sub category of the genre.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The Talos Principle was the best game of 2014 IMO. By far.
Valiant Hearts was also very entertaining, high quality and educating game that deserves to be mentioned.
On the whole, it looks kind of a disapointing year compared to 2013.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

We are entering a new dark age that’s for sure, there will be some bright spots, but generally it won’t be good at all.
As we already are seeing in reviews (Grim Fandango for example) that writers started to follow a new standard (that Telltale imposed) for evaluating all adventure games that will bash everything adventurous in them.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Bogi - 28 January 2015 05:23 AM

We are entering a new dark age that’s for sure, there will be some bright spots, but generally it won’t be good at all.
As we already are seeing in reviews (Grim Fandango for example) that writers started to follow a new standard (that Telltale imposed) for evaluating all adventure games that will bash everything adventurous in them.

This explains it pretty well I feel:

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

How about:
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

I think 2014 was really good year with games like Tesla Effect, BS5, The Blackwell: Epiphany and The Wolf Among Us. I`m just playing Ethan Carter (and it seems to be quite solid adventure too) and have high hopes for Crimes & Punishments. All in all there were 15 - 20 interesting adventure games released in 2014 and I consider that a good number.

In my books 2014 was definitely better than 2013 and 2015 looks even better than 2014.  I don`t see any dark ages on the horizon, but I might be blind too..  Wink

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Tad - 28 January 2015 04:56 AM

I hope you’re not referring to the lack of puzzles in their games. If so, I’m sorry to say you’re in the wrong there. Adventure games aren’t defined by their puzzles. Puzzles are a sub category of the genre.

Puzzles are not a subcategory, they’ve been always been an essential part of adventure games. But as far as Telltale goes, I was referring to the complete absence of gameplay. Current Telltale games = dialogues + scrip scenes. You might as well call it an RPG, or a dating sim, or an interactive movie, or whatever - there are no signs of adventure genre anymore.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Doom - 28 January 2015 06:08 AM
Tad - 28 January 2015 04:56 AM

Puzzles are not a subcategory, they’ve been always been an essential part of adventure games. But as far as Telltale goes, I was referring to the complete absence of gameplay. Current Telltale games = dialogues + scrip scenes. You might as well call it an RPG, or a dating sim, or an interactive movie, or whatever - there are no signs of adventure genre anymore.

They were in the past due to hardware limitations. I suggest you look at that link I posted above about this subject as we’re clogging up the Awards thread. If you wish, I’d happily discuss this in another thread though.

Back on topic,
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is probably up there. I’ve yet to play it myself, but it seemed to get a fairly positive response.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ll add a few I played in 2014

A Bird Story
Ossuary
Tengami
The Novelist
Carol Reed: Bosch’s Damnation
Detective Grimoire
J.U.L.I.A. among the Stars
Capri Connection

I played 19 games released in 2014. Some were very short, like Tengami and A Bird Story. Still, I don’t think I ever played so many new ones in one year.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top