• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoIronCretinJdawg445TimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #30: Discworld

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 22 November 2014 01:49 AM
Lady Kestrel - 21 November 2014 11:09 PM

I have crossed over twice and saw the thief take a book twice, but that’s all I can seem to do there.  Is there a pixel I’m missing somewhere?

And where does the thief go? Follow him!

And to give you a little bit more help, you need to pull the same book as he does to open a secret door.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Ha!  I finally got out of the secret hole in the library in time to see where the thief went.  However, I’ve now got to figure out where to get a forboding black robe. Grin

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

My laptop is on strike Embarassed
I only needed the golden bell, so if I get it up and running in the next week or so, I should be able to catch up….

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

It’s the 23rd. Frown
I have a little catching up to do, not much. Got five of the items.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That’s the pits, Duck!  I hope it isn’t serious.

I went back and forth through L-space several times but finally got to hear the password and find out who the culprits are.  I also tried catching the butterfly and finally had to peek here to figure out what I was doing wrong.  It was very silly to do it that way, but I loved it (and the results).  A tough puzzle, that!  I’m going to try looking for some of the items tomorrow.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Ok, ok. I can see that the grand majority has some catch up to do (some more than others).
Therefore, the deadline for coming into the even more difficult 3rd Act will be postponed for another 3 days, until the 26th. I hope it proves enough.

Whoever has finished the Act 2 on time (And that’s just Iznogood btw) can have a little search to find the hero equation. No searches for the actual quest items though. Let us do this together! Smile

Duck of Doom - 22 November 2014 08:25 PM

My laptop is on strike Embarassed
I only needed the golden bell, so if I get it up and running in the next week or so, I should be able to catch up….

Karlok - 23 November 2014 01:46 AM

It’s the 23rd. Frown
I have a little catching up to do, not much. Got five of the items.

Duck, don’t worry, if this is the only item you need, you’ll catch up easily, assuming your laptop gets better.

The same applies to you Karlok as well (why the long face? ). With five items in your pock….in the Luggage, you will catch up in no time.

Lady Kestrel - 23 November 2014 01:53 AM

I went back and forth through L-space several times but finally got to hear the password and find out who the culprits are.  I also tried catching the butterfly and finally had to peek here to figure out what I was doing wrong.  It was very silly to do it that way, but I loved it (and the results).  A tough puzzle, that!  I’m going to try looking for some of the items tomorrow.

Lady K, you are a little behind. You will find the tips and comments of the previous posts very useful to enlighten you in some of the chapter 2 difficulties. Don’t hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck along the way. Sobtle tips are always available. I don’t believe you’ll be able to catch up with the rest of us in the next 3 days (unless you are a superb player/dedicate a considerable amount of your time per day, that is), though you will possibly be able to do so in the first or second quest item of Act 3, so no worries here as long as you are still playing. Smile

chrissie - 22 November 2014 06:19 AM

I was hoping to be able to catch up this last week as I should have had a break from work - that didn’t happen & I now feel I’m too far behind with little time ahead of me to catch up.

Chrissie, as you can see almost everyone is following a somewhat slower pace. That gives you a chance to come back if you still want to.  Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m behind as well. A couple of sleepless nights in a row (Zoë is teething) have wreaked havoc on my game-time (and I’m doing two CPTs at the same time which isn’t helping).

I’m confident that one good gaming session will put me back on track, though.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I got into the Shades and know where to get the trowel but not how yet.  Since the ladies are sleeping, I’ll have to visit again tonight…er…last nightSmile

Is there any place in the game that I can get a list of the items I need to collect?  I tried talking to the Dragon again but no luck.  I’m wondering if I missed a conversation in the hideout or was I just supposed to visit each of the characters and discover the items for myself.  (Yes, I know they’re listed here, but I’m just curious.)

Edit:  I got the trowel.  The bit with Big Sally is a riot.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 23 November 2014 07:11 AM

Whoever has finished the Act 2 on time (And that’s just Iznogood btw) can have a little search to find the hero equation. No searches for the actual quest items though. Let us do this together! Smile

What!! you mean that this is not the correct dragon slayer outfit?

Sefir - 23 November 2014 07:11 AM

I was hoping to be able to catch up this last week as I should have had a break from work - that didn’t happen & I now feel I’m too far behind with little time ahead of me to catch up.

Chrissie, as you can see almost everyone is following a somewhat slower pace. That gives you a chance to come back if you still want to.  Wink

I hate to suggest this, but the game is mainly long because it is very difficult, so if you knew exactly what you had to do, for instance because you are following a walkthrough , then it would be possible to catch up. I’m not saying that you should do it, just that it is a possibility if you want to try and catch up.

Lady Kestrel - 23 November 2014 06:16 PM

Edit:  I got the trowel.  The bit with Big Sally is a riot.

Yeah, there are so many hilarious moments and puzzle solutions in this game, that it is much easier to just mention the once that didn’t made you laugh.

And regarding the items, I don’t believe there is any in-game list, but it is pretty obvious who you need to get items from, so there also isn’t really a big need for such a list.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’ve been considering to join this playthrough for a while, but didn’t think I’d have the time (I’ve also finished the game atleast twice before, and started it many more times and abandoned midway).

Reading this thread was really fun, a lot of interesting remarks by you all, and it reminded me of how much I love the game (and the Discworld in general). I really don’t remember much from act 2 and 3, so I’ve reconsidered and am looking forward to a replay. A CP makes it all the more fun! Smile

“Fortunately” I’ve just injured my back (nothing too serious, I’ll be fine, thanks for asking :p ) and will be spending some days recovering, which just might give me the time to catch up with you all if I don’t get hopelessly stuck.

I absolutely love Terry Pratchett, he just might be my favourite author after Tolkien. I’ve read most of the Discworld books (except the last ten) and most of his other works as well. Rincewind’s line is my absolute favourite.

I read The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic before I even knew there actually existed a Discworld point and click adventure (and what a discovery that was!), but after playing the game, I always hear Eric Idle’s voice when reading Rincewinds lines in the books Smile He really does own that character (and his voice still pretty much sounds the same today, so he’s good to go for a Discworld Kickstarter! (That’s just me dreaming, ofcourse, but these days old favourites have a tendency to come crawling out of the woodwork, it could happen! Tongue )).

I’ll see if I find the disc (pun intended) and get this thing installed. I vaguely remember having some trouble last time, but now that it’s supported by ScummVM I’m guessing I should be fine. Hopefully I’ll get at least act 1 done tonight.

Well, I got a lot of catching up to do, better get started! Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

OMG!  It took me quite a while to figure out that a magic dessert and active tentacles would allow me to get the belt.  What a hoot!  I loved starting the fight, too, although for the longest time I couldn’t figure out why I did it.  In comparison, getting the key was easy.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Just finished Guards! Guards!, my first Pratchett novel. I absolutely loved it, one of my favorite things I’ve read ever. I’m going to jump into this playthrough late now. I know DW1’s story is somewhat based on Guards! Guards! so I hope I didn’t spoil it for myself.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

With this CP I also took on the quest of rereading all the Disc books, and have just gotten to the Guards! Guards! novel (well I didn’t say I would read them in chronologically order).

Anyway you won’t have spoiled anything for yourself by reading the novel first, I also read the novel first, and the game is only loosely based on the book, for example Rincewind is the protagonist in the game, but is not part of the book.

Ohh.. I hope it is nothing serious Dag and that you will be fine?
And welcome to the CP to both of you.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 24 November 2014 08:00 PM

... I loved starting the fight, too, although for the longest time I couldn’t figure out why I did it.

Yeah starting the fight is one of those things that you do, because you know that you have already done it, even if you haven’t got the slightest clue as to why you would do something like that!

Don’t you just love the implications of time-travel, how it can turn cause and action upside down?

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Welcome to the CP Dag. I hope you recover long before this CP is finished though.
It will be very interesting to see how long will take you to catch up with the rest of us folks.

Lady Kestrel - 24 November 2014 08:00 PM

OMG!  It took me quite a while to figure out that a magic dessert and active tentacles would allow me to get the belt.  What a hoot! I loved starting the fight, too, although for the longest time I couldn’t figure out why I did it.

Sefir - 12 November 2014 04:26 PM

Tip 2: An old fellow in the UU might have something you want! There is no need to start a fight to take it! Or is it? Well, at least that’s a thing of the past now.
Tip 3: Even cephalopods have feelings you know! Pehaps Nanny can help you! Have you been to the Dark woods yet? I already feel the love…

Wink

Iznogood - 25 November 2014 12:20 AM

Yeah starting the fight is one of those things that you do, because you know that you have already done it, even if you haven’t got the slightest clue as to why you would do something like that!

Oh come on!! The Broken Drum sign caught my attention from the very beginning!  Smile

Iznogood - 23 November 2014 09:52 PM

I hate to suggest this, but the game is mainly long because it is very difficult, so if you knew exactly what you had to do, for instance because you are following a walkthrough , then it would be possible to catch up. I’m not saying that you should do it, just that it is a possibility if you want to try and catch up.

And thus, completely suck the joy out of playing the 2/3 of the game. No way I am proposing the use a walkthrough. That’s why we provide subtle tips whenever needed through this CP. Playing a game without tips, everything discovered by yourself is much more enjoyable than playing just 1/3 of the game with the rest of us.

Iznogood - 25 November 2014 12:13 AM

Anyway you won’t have spoiled anything for yourself by reading the novel first.

I disagree. IMO, you seriously do. It is VERY possible that the final chapter will be not as breathtaking and/or funny (to say the least) as if you would have played the game first (I don’t want to say more). I still believe that it is a very wrong choice of book to start with, especially before playing the game, but anyway, I hope I’m wrong. Meh

Welcome to the beautiful world of Terry Pratchet novels Frogacuda!  Laughing

Iznogood - 23 November 2014 09:52 PM

What!! you mean that this is not the correct dragon slayer outfit?

Close.  Tongue
What are your chances in that outfit?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top