• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest ‘2015’ (All The Positive Talk)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 30 September 2016 04:13 PM

Sounds like they’re being faithful to the series to me. It just wouldn’t be KQ without at least some awful in it.

Bingo!

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I really like how each of these episodes has had a distinct gameplay theme. This one was clearly The Puzzle Episode, and I liked how the writers used Graham and Alexander’s contrasting feelings about logic and magic to set up conflict between them. I also liked the goofy family road trip premise. The beginning of the episode had some great humor, and the first scene caring for the babies—> seeing them kidnapped was emotional and had an impact on me. (I teared up when those guards got zapped!)

That said - the puzzles quickly got repetitive and the story was super weak. The most interesting part of the story (Vee / Neese as the ice queen) seemed rushed and tacked on at the end.

I’ve been playing each episode twice to see different options and really wanted to play this one a second time to have Neese as the wife, but the idea of repeating all those tile puzzles isn’t appealing at all.

Also, after a nice slow burn build-up and exciting ch3 cliffhanger, Manny as Mannanan fell totally flat.

The episode did take me a long time to finish (5-6 hours? maybe even more) but it was because I was stuck trying to solve stuff. I enjoyed the puzzles at first, but got very impatient by the end.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 30 September 2016 04:03 PM

Well, that was awful. Awful story, awful characters, awful puzzles. At least it was short.

How did we go from the brilliant first episode to this turd???

wilco - 28 September 2016 03:58 AM

Alexander is so-so but Rosella is disappointing…

What’s wrong with Rosella? She had all of 5 lines in the entire game, but felt more or less like I’d expect.

That was the problem she only had 5 lines and she didn’t sound good, at least Alexander was a character and that dinner scene with the kids was terrible

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 30 September 2016 08:33 PM

and that dinner scene with the kids was terrible

(Or maybe the inspiration was just the wrong Roberta Williams game?)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

What comes to Chapter 4, I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the main puzzle theme of it. Basically it felt a bit lazy to me to have most of the puzzles in here to be just a variation of the same line drawing and sliding tiles theme.

On a positive note, I did like Alexander and Rosella, Rosella more so than Alexander. And there was a couople of pretty well written segments in the story as well.  In all I do have pretty mixed feelings about this particular episode, especially because of what the main bulk of the gameplay was like this time around.

I do hope they’ll manage to do a home run with the last episode, this one really didn’t feel like it was worth 5 month wait.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’m near the end
King’s Quest: Ep4 - Professor Layton edition
The story is interesting and the writing continues to be good but not very ecstatic about what they done with gameplay for this episode. Alexander is so-so but Rosella is disappointing…

Well the Layton edition but it’s more similar to Professor Layton and the Tedious adventure from an alternative universe. Professor Layton’s games are more inspired than this. The puzzles so far (I’ve quit in frustration after the dinner scene) have been amazingly dull and tedious.

I loved the first three episodes and I’m all the more disappointed by this episode.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 01 October 2016 04:42 AM
wilco - 30 September 2016 08:33 PM

and that dinner scene with the kids was terrible

(Or maybe the inspiration was just the wrong Roberta Williams game?)

Lol, JR! Btw, where was Edgar?he should have been there just looking around awkwardly to Rosella…

Also, who is this Kyle that was Alexander was talking about having good ideas for being King?

giom - 01 October 2016 05:58 PM

I’m near the end
King’s Quest: Ep4 - Professor Layton edition
The story is interesting and the writing continues to be good but not very ecstatic about what they done with gameplay for this episode. Alexander is so-so but Rosella is disappointing…

Well the Layton edition but it’s more similar to Professor Layton and the Tedious adventure from an alternative universe. Professor Layton’s games are more inspired than this. The puzzles so far (I’ve quit in frustration after the dinner scene) have been amazingly dull and tedious.

I loved the first three episodes and I’m all the more disappointed by this episode.

I agree, no doubt, Layton also has a couple of boring puzzles sometimes but in KQ they were more tedious because of how long it took to solve them even when you already knew what to do.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Chapter 5 coming October 25: http://www.shacknews.com/article/97229/kings-quest-tells-the-final-chapter-of-grahams-story-on-october-25

That’s unexpected. They must have been working on chapters 4 and 5 at the same time…?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Really unexpected, maybe they have been working on it from the a long time but this feels kind of rushed to finish it and release the retail version… Really hope I’m wrong

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The final chapter is out.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Still haven’t finished chapter 4. It’s hard to motivate myself to finish it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Recycling the first episode’s environments is just making me feel all nostalgic of how good the game used to be

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

wilco - 25 October 2016 06:24 PM

Recycling the first episode’s environments is just making me feel all nostalgic of how good the game used to be

Ahhh…I see they reached that point.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve finished it. It’s pretty small, doesn’t really do anything surprising but at least it’s not annoying like Ep4, except for a couple of moments. Puzzles continue to be uninspired in this one. Some cute moments mostly related to KQ series easter eggs.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I guess Ep1 was still the best?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top