• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest ‘2015’ (All The Positive Talk)

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Tad - 31 July 2015 04:19 PM

Wait, so it’s not a 2 hour episode? How long does it go on for if you don’t mind me asking?

Average player time is about 5-6 hours. I clocked in around 6.3

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Wow, so for £31 that’s pretty good! Thanks.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1642

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I couldnt help myself I beat the game in one sitting in about 5 and a half hrs. the puzzles are super easy but fun. this is a casual adventure game done right, I think telltale needs to take notice. I found the game to be absolutely charming. the Voice work is the best in any genre in recent time and the art style I found to be beautiful. I did have a couple of glitches on the floating island part, with the strength contest. one time I died and the game stayed on the loading screen until I had to reboot the game. I will post a full review soon, but I say try the 9.99 version to see if you like it. my favorite side characters were the trolls. the ending felt a tad rushed and I mean the closing cutscene but other than that I give it a 9 outta 10. I just started playing again with my girl and she loves it and she is not a gamer at all, said it reminded her of old disney movies.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 31 July 2015 06:05 PM

I couldnt help myself I beat the game in one sitting in about 5 and a half hrs. the puzzles are super easy but fun. this is a casual adventure game done right, I think telltale needs to take notice. I found the game to be absolutely charming. the Voice work is the best in any genre in recent time and the art style I found to be beautiful. I did have a couple of glitches on the floating island part, with the strength contest. one time I died and the game stayed on the loading screen until I had to reboot the game. I will post a full review soon, but I say try the 9.99 version to see if you like it. my favorite side characters were the trolls. the ending felt a tad rushed and I mean the closing cutscene but other than that I give it a 9 outta 10. I just started playing again with my girl and she loves it and she is not a gamer at all, said it reminded her of old disney movies.

And here i made a slow progress from yesterday, making circles trying to find an item for the knock, saying wtf i am doing wrong, only to accidentaly find the interactable tree with bells nearby Pan
Still the world is so magical and charming, loved the humor in Race competition, those choices to dupe opponents reminded me of MonkeyIsland.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I’ll get the one thing I hated out of the way- and I absolutely hated it with a passion: it was those three or four occassions where Graham all of a sudden turned into a hyperactive character from a Japanese anime kids cartoon.

No. Just no. Not funny the first time; wasn’t funny the next three times. Lord almighty…

Apart from that though, I had a blast with the game. A lot of the other humour worked quite well; a wonderful voice-cast- I swear hearing Christopher Lloyd always feels right in an adventure game- nice visuals, and bright, large world to explore. Just the right size too- with some more places to discover as you solve more puzzles, but not big enough to leave you lost and frustrated (hello, Dreamfall Chapters!) Huge value for money- even if subsequent episodes are all half the playing time- and they very well could be- it still would be a complete adventure game by the end of it. 

On the negative side, there is a bit of back-tracking and wandering around- which can be a nuisance if you get stuck- but it wasn’t too much of a hassle in my books. Except when it crashed. But that’s what autosave is for, I guess. Although, not being able to skip dialogue and certain cut-scenes when you fail a mini-game was quite annoying.
And I’m not sure it’s entirely faithful to the King’s Quest “tone”- seems a lot sillier- but I’m not an aficianado as such so I’ll leave that to others to judge.

But I mostly enjoyed my time. Felt like an old-school adventure game of yesteryear.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

A.A - 01 August 2015 10:28 AM

I’ll get the one thing I hated out of the way- and I absolutely hated it with a passion: it was those three or four occassions where Graham all of a sudden turned into a hyperactive character from a Japanese anime kids cartoon.

No. Just no. Not funny the first time; wasn’t funny the next three times. Lord almighty…

Apart from that though, I had a blast with the game. A lot of the other humour worked quite well; a wonderful voice-cast- I swear hearing Christopher Lloyd always feels right in an adventure game- nice visuals, and bright, large world to explore. Just the right size too- with some more places to discover as you solve more puzzles, but not big enough to leave you lost and frustrated (hello, Dreamfall Chapters!) Huge value for money- even if subsequent episodes are all half the playing time- and they very well could be- it still would be a complete adventure game by the end of it. 

On the negative side, there is a bit of back-tracking and wandering around- which can be a nuisance if you get stuck- but it wasn’t too much of a hassle in my books. Except when it crashed. But that’s what autosave is for, I guess. Although, not being able to skip dialogue and certain cut-scenes when you fail a mini-game was quite annoying.
And I’m not sure it’s entirely faithful to the King’s Quest “tone”- seems a lot sillier- but I’m not an aficianado as such so I’ll leave that to others to judge.

But I mostly enjoyed my time. Felt like an old-school adventure game of yesteryear.

When you say oldschool, backtracking fits well. The environments, music, art makes revisiting less of a chore like old gems, REmake or SH, infact i want to go back and replay KQ again, and would be surprised if they can top the pilot episode in future episodes.
Minigames in competetion were surprisingly fun, some of the puzzles are exactly what i expect from modern AG.
I got stuck badly but as i said revisiting aint bad so long as the environments are cool.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Saw this got mainly good to great press, surprised to see Rock Paper Shotgun murder it.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Mr Underhill - 02 August 2015 06:45 AM

Saw this got mainly good to great press, surprised to see Rock Paper Shotgun murder it.

After doing some research, it’s become apparent the writer of this monstrosity is in fact, an idiot Smile

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Tad - 02 August 2015 08:23 AM

After doing some research, it’s become apparent the writer of this monstrosity is in fact, an idiot Smile

Same guy that skewered Broken Age and called Peter Molyneux a pathological liar. Well, I guess it’s just his thing Tongue

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

My only complaint is no option to fast-forward conversations, or skip the same dialogue trees.

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

Mr Underhill - 02 August 2015 10:57 AM
Tad - 02 August 2015 08:23 AM

Same guy that skewered Broken Age and called Peter Molyneux a pathological liar. Well, I guess it’s just his thing Tongue

That guy has got to be crazy if he “skewered” Broken Age. Sucks that he has a platform to rail from. This new King’s Quest is a beautiful piece of art in my opinion. I have taken my time in soaking up as much of it’s ambience as I can. Everything from the title screen music through the wonderful animation, the breathtaking art style that allows for what is practically a 3D Disney movie, the incredible, incredible voice work that actually made me okay with Christopher Lloyd as an aging King Graham despite my fears, the injection of personality into a young Graham, the smooth, precise controls, the detailed, lovingly crafted NPC’s and so much more! It is not a perfect 10. I too wish you had the option to skip cut scenes that had been previously viewed at least once. I wish the environments you visited were more diverse (a la Kings’ Quest 5 - Desert, snowy peaks, scary forest, ocean islands etc.) But that is about it. The rest is pretty much more than I could have hoped for in a re-launch of my favorite video game series of all time… and as an avid fan I feel I am a pretty discriminating customer. I just really love, love, love, love this game so far (60% complete).

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

As discussed before, I thought part 1 of BA was fine, but 2 was god awful. If it’s 2 here railed on, then I can’t say I disagree. However, it seems as though this writer doesn’t like adventure games, so I’m not sure why they’re even letting him cover them.

Going by the other reviews of KQ though, it’s pretty clear he’s in the minority here. He also has several errors in what happens in the game too from what I’ve heard.

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

I just beat it on PS4! I loved every single second! Bravo to The Odd Gentlemen! Great job! There are still 10 PSX trophies I didn’t get so I am going back and starting over on a second playthrough. I went heart on the first one so I think I will take the path of strength this time! I will play it again after that and take the thinkers path. I have to make up for 17 years of waiting after all! Well, wish me luck. Here I go!

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Let’s get all the bad news out of the way first: This King’s Quest feels a bit dated. Walking across screens that largely have nothing to interact with in order to deliver inventory items to the correct hotspot just isn’t drawing me in. Perhaps it was a bad idea to jump on this so soon after playing Life is Strange. However, it’s hard to remove the past 5 years from my mind - especially when environmental storytelling is a big part of gaming today.

Perhaps if this had come out in 2009 I would be considerably more impressed like I was with Tales of Monkey Island. The original King’s Quest was promoted on its immersive 3D environments where you could walk in front of and behind stuff! I would like to be more drawn into Daventry and its legends.

I do like the branching paths and alternate solutions to puzzles and have not yet felt like I was opting for the easier path. The lack of unintended consequences that turns choice into a crap shoot makes me feel like I’m steering this ship. If I want to distract the dragon it means just that.

The tone is appropriate and very consistent to an American fairy tale that flavoured so many Sierra games. Children will be on board and that’s pretty important.

I’ll keep going at it - it’s a great accomplishment by an indie dev who has never delivered anything of this scope. There’s plenty of time for Odd Gentlemen to really flesh out the world of Daventry though.

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

Did anyone else get stuck trying to figure out how to get the pumpkin on their first playthrough? Man, that took me awhile.

Also, it was a nice touch how they completely revised Grahams look between the prologue and the main story to show the separation of time. Metal knights boots, silver belt buckle, leather armor, ruby brooch, fancy cape lining and a more stately hat all adorn him in the prologue and are absent during the main quest in favor of a set of more rumpled, travelers clothes from a time before he was a knight.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top