• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Double Fine Adventure is… Broken Age

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I agree, I think that interviewer was way too standoffish and nailed both his objectives: capitalize on populist “but the gamers!” attitude and, most of all, make the article go viral. It was as close to a tabloid as gaming press gets, and guess what - it made the waves they were predicted to make. And it’s a damn’ shame. Molyneux made some great damned games, and brushing his whole career aside like that is just wrong. What am I talking about - possibly stamping out his entire career. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Mr Underhill - 19 February 2015 02:25 PM

I agree, I think that interviewer was way too standoffish and nailed both his objectives: capitalize on populist “but the gamers!” attitude and, most of all, make the article go viral. It was as close to a tabloid as gaming press gets, and guess what - it made the waves they were predicted to make. And it’s a damn’ shame. Molyneux made some great damned games, and brushing his whole career aside like that is just wrong. What am I talking about - possibly stamping out his entire career. Thumbs Up

i almost felt the same way… until i listened and read some of the other things peter has said… like talking about his mobile phone game as if it were the discovery of penicillin.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

zane - 19 February 2015 05:28 PM

i almost felt the same way… until i listened and read some of the other things peter has said… like talking about his mobile phone game as if it were the discovery of penicillin.

Yeah but most of Godus’backers are people that are familiar with Molyneux’s best work, so that means they should be at least to some extent familiar with his renowned trait of over-promising, over-hyping and under-delivering. It’s been a red line throughout his entire career, and so it should come as no surprise to anyone. Not blaming the customers, but when you back Molyneux you should know what you’re in for, if you’re even minimally aware of who he is.

That said, I sincerely don’t think he was out to scam anyone, he just turns into an over-promising, over-emotional, well, fool when he talks about his games. Let’s just say his propensity to dream big doesn’t match his achieving skills, and he tends to get easily bored and want to move on to bigger, better things.

Sorry about the long PM-derail, but Tim’s been getting some ricochet flak off of PM too so I guess it applies to him to a smaller extent (he’s nowhere near as unrealistic, though).

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I think journalists should hold devs accountable and ask difficult questions, but you have to let then answer and let readers make their own judgments. The RPS interview comes up ff as emotional and even willfully dens. His further questioning doesn’t come off like an etc rt to gain further insight, it just sounds like a couple arguing to"just admit it!” Pointless and unprofessional.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

zane - 19 February 2015 07:41 AM

I find it harder and harder to support kickstarters… its just a total gamble. For instance, take godus and sunless sea. Both set out a 7-ish month time frame to complete their game. From their pitch and concept art, who couldv guessed which one would have an awesome game in 1.5 years. Sunless sea is complete and amazing, while godus is a mess full of question marks 3 years later.
Even if tim schafer came out with another kickstarter, and even if i loved broken age.. would i back them again? Not sure… it would just feel like a total gamble. Thinking back on various projects id say ultimately, not counting massive delays against them, these game kickstarters have an 80ish% “success” rate…. but its really hard to predict who falls into that 20ish%.

I think a lot of people feel that way and it’s why Kickstarter has slowed way down for games, but it’s unfortunate. For me, Kickstarter was never about buying games it was about seeding the gaming landscape in a positive way and it’s done that. 2014 was the best year for adventures in some time and 2015 should be even better and Kick starter is a big part f that in both direct and indirect ways. And we’ve seen a lot of other good things come out of it as well. And yes, individually each of these projects is a risk and backers should be aware of that when they decide to back, but it’s undeniably made the gaming landscape better and that is worth some gambling to me. Some of what we’ve seen hadls been priceless really.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Tim supporting Molyneux

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

The Double Fine Adventure documentary about the making of Broken Age is being released free on YouTube, with an episode going up each Tuesday and Thursday in anticipation of the release of Act 2.

So if you’re curious about the behind-the-scenes development of Broken Age (or video games in general) but you weren’t a backer or someone who already bought the 1080p documentary downloads on VHX, now you can check out a 720p streaming version of the documentary that backers have been watching for the past couple years.

These episodes start back in 2012 with the Kickstarter, and will gradually work their way up to the present day. I believe there’s 18 episodes in the series so far with two more episodes still to be completed (one before and one after the Act 2 release), but I’m not sure how quickly those last two will go up on YouTube.

If you’re a backer who missed the updates about the public release you can go here and particularly here for more details.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I really can recommend that documentary, even if you aren’t a fan of the game itself. It’s a good peek behind a creative process.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Is this fair toward the backers?

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Just a question for backers who watched this. Does the documentary contain any kind of spoilers?

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Yes, it’s fair towards the backers. We got quite a few episodes, pretty much exclusively for 3 years. It’s only logical that they start to open it up further.

Keep in mind that people who backed at the lowest tier, already got the documentary. There was this one notable case on Twitter whereby someone complained to Tim Schafer that she wasn’t happy with the documentary, while having backed for 1$.
Amazing to see to what lenghts people go to be just an pain in the ass.

If you watch the documentary, please keep in mind that all episodes released prior to the launch of Act 1, contain no spoilers (at least nothing explicit). But the episodes released after the release of Act DO contain spoilers of Act 1.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I know alot of people who don’t care about credits or Documentaries, and GoW started this behind the scenes progress when they included it in gow2 (IIRC), for free.
Even LastofUs , the biggest title of last gen and what not gave this for free, which is
way better learning blueprint.

All the Sony and other Docs included in game or uploaded on youtube are open and free, and much more high in production.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think it is fair, as personally I always assumed it would go to public rotation as well. And DF did poll the backers about it and majority of people said it was OK by them.

@Nomad: peronally I though BA doc has pretty good quality as far as documentaries go. I’ve seen a lot worse.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

subbi - 04 March 2015 03:22 AM

If you watch the documentary, please keep in mind that all episodes released prior to the launch of Act 1, contain no spoilers (at least nothing explicit). But the episodes released after the release of Act DO contain spoilers of Act 1.

From Caliburn’s link:

“The first three episodes of the documentary are up to watch on YouTube today. After that, new episodes will be air every Tuesday and Thursday in 720p. Major Broken Age story points are blurred or obscured to allow for spoiler-free viewing!

I haven’t seen the documentary, so I don’t know if the blur is a new addition to the film (it could obviously also be the case that the blur was in the original film, but simply wasn’t used enough and/or they spoiled the story while they’re talking about the game).

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

They were always blurred (obviously this was a much bigger deal back when the first part of the game wasn’t out, and the people watching were the biggest fans).

While there shouldn’t be any concrete, specific spoilers for major things in the game, you do get some general descriptions of things like certain areas or characters that appear, or that certain actors are doing voiceovers, or Tim discussing themes he’s exploring in the story, etc. Basically the kind of info you would get from a review, except from the inside. If you watch all the episodes of the documentary before playing, you will be somewhat familiar with much of what’s in the game ahead of time, and this may reduce feelings of surprise as you play. If you’re very hardcore about coming in with no prior knowledge, I’d stay away, but otherwise you should be fine.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top