• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The OTHER Secret of Monkey Island

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

I took for granted back when i first played it, that there is parallel reality in in-game universe and by entering it you become version of yourself in that parallel reality. I also had sequel idea, where Guybrush is left into parallel reality in form of boy and has to get back and stop LeChuck. And i hate that in Simon 3d Sordid drops Simon body - end of Simon 2 made me think that our reality would play role in sequel.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 25 July 2014 12:21 AM

From what I remember, Fight Club’s ending was crap. One of the guys just disappears out of nowhere and you’re left going wtf?... I don’t know, I guess it wasn’t my kind of movie. I certainly don’t know how anyone can call it well executed. On the other hand, Mulholland Drive left clues leaving you constantly questioning what was real. That’s something MI2 should have done better, so I can understand claims it was a cut-paste ending.

Fight Club is extremely well executed. The way you formulate what happened kind of implies you didn’t get the point. Brad Pitt doesn’t just disappear out of nowhere - he was never there in the first place. Makes for a very compelling second viewing once you know the twist.
Mulholland Drive was in comparison a lot more difficult to grasp the first time around and frankly needed a second viewing just to “get” it. Different method altogether. Frankly, I’d sooner compare Fight Club to for instance The Sixth Sense, where the final twist puts the entire film in a new perspective. Mulholland Drive is different and would sooner make me go “WTF?” before figuring out what really happened.

And compared to these, Monkey Island 2’s ending is something else entirely. The post-credits scene with Elaine implies to me that you can take everything at face value. The part with the little kids is just another of LeChuck’s tricks, and the game ends on an unfinished downer ending (similar to Simon the Sorcerer 2).
That they chose to skip the resolution to that particular situation for the beginning of the third game doesn’t mean they disregarded it completely and took things in an entirely different direction. They just skipped over one puzzle, and went with the simplest explanation for MI2’s ending.

All this speculation about the ending is imo a search for something that isn’t (and never was) there.
And maybe Ron Gilbert did have something else in mind, the post-credits scene with Elaine left all options open, and I like how they continued in Curse. No matter what Gilbert may have had in mind (if he even had something in mind) for MI3, I highly doubt he would’ve topped that awesomely hilarious game, imo…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 25 July 2014 04:32 AM

Fight Club is extremely well executed. The way you formulate what happened kind of implies you didn’t get the point. Brad Pitt doesn’t just disappear out of nowhere - he was never there in the first place. Makes for a very compelling second viewing once you know the twist.
Mulholland Drive was in comparison a lot more difficult to grasp the first time around and frankly needed a second viewing just to “get” it. Different method altogether. Frankly, I’d sooner compare Fight Club to for instance The Sixth Sense, where the final twist puts the entire film in a new perspective. Mulholland Drive is different and would sooner make me go “WTF?” before figuring out what really happened.

I agree with Zifnab that the plot twist in Mulholland Drive is better executed (and is a better movie, though I also like Fight Club) because:

Zifnab - 25 July 2014 12:21 AM

Mulholland Drive left clues leaving you constantly questioning what was real.

Whereas the plot twist Fight Club and to a lesser degree The Sixth Sense, came out of nowhere. Yes there were clues but they were more subtle and up until the twist you don’t suspect that not everything is real, whereas that is quite clear in MD very early in the movie.

As for the ending of MI2, well I guess it depends on whether you consider the ‘Boy in Theme Park’ or the ‘Hope he didn’t put a spell on him’ the actual or real ending.
I also think the it was quite deliberately that they made both endings, so people could chose whatever ending they like the most and/or speculate on what was real and what wasn’t, or simply go WTF just happened. Personally I don’t really care much either way, but it is fun to watch these speculations.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Well why should we take for granted what Elaine HOPES for happened?

That might be just a last glimpse of Guybrush’s deranged mind trying to prolong his illusion. And who is Elaine? (Girl)friend or a sister maybe?
Gilbert strongly opposed the idea of them marrying, maybe because this relation is incestuous. Even the other designer wouldn’t dare going all the way down that line and in ToMI we still have them childless after years of consummated (more or less) happy marriage and without modern means of contraception.

There are really a lot of serious opened questions, many more than in most “adult oriented” games that are in fact very childish, but are revered on these forums much more than the ones that don’t consider themselves too seriously.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top