• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 23 January 2015 06:47 PM

Guy Pearce is underrated as an actor. That poster already convinces me he’s going to be spectacular in this… Gasp

His expressions doing half of the job Grin

Yea, IMO best performance of his career.
Gritty as hell.
Go see it.

Edit:

Even though i am not fan of Aussie productions.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finally went to see the last Hobbit film.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 3.5/5

Fitting ending to a good trilogy that is plagued by not being nearly as great as the Lord of the Rings trilogy was. This third installment suffers from the same pitfalls as the first two: it’s just plain too long. This trilogy should have been 2 two-hour films instead of 3 3-hour films. I shudder to think what the extended editions will look like (whereas for LotR, the extended editions are imo the definitive versions). Scrap the entire Legolas/Tauriel presence, Azog’s presence, Alfrid’s presence (or replace him by Stephen Fry) cut back on Gandalf’s scenes with the Necromancer, etc. and you’ll have a better, tighter film.
Plus there’d be more room for Martin Freeman in it. I can’t get enough of Martin Freeman as Bilbo. It’s a shame he’s relegated to a secondary character in his own trilogy…
The action sequences could have used more diversity too. There’s fighting going on on three different fronts, yet the film only focuses at one at a time instead of alternating occasionally. Not as good as the Battle at Pelennor Fields in Return of the King. Not as good at all.
Also, Thorin’s gold-fever scene took too long and lessened the impact of the dwarves’ resurgence right after. What should have been a scene that’s as amazing as both of the Rohirrim charges in Two Towers and Return of the King, is now just another run-of-the-mill action scene.
And why did the elves suddenly jump over the dwarves’ barricade to charge their opponents? They lose their archery advantage and the entire point of the barricade. Hollywood tactics…

Also, why was Billy Connolly such a horrible visual effect??? Gasp

The best scene in the film was (of all things) Gandalf cleaning his pipe. THAT was more in line with the original trilogy!

I so wish we could have seen Del Toro’s take instead of Jackson’s copy/caricature.

This trilogy is still really good (I can’t get enough of New Zealand Middle-Earth), but it could/should have been f@&#ing; spectacular!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2011-09-08

PM

Birdman

one of the best movies in 2014
but its just for one time only

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Deux Jours, Une Nuit - 3.5/5

A typical Dardennes film: minimalistic (handheld camera, no sound effects, no soundtrack) social drama set in Liège, with a MASSIVE acting performance by the lead. No wonder Marion Cotillard got a (surprise) Oscar nomination!
Deserves to be seen just for her, but the film itself is really good as well.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Saw Jupiter Ascending.
It’s going to be critically panned and bomb at the boxoffice but the Wachowsky always deliver on the entertaining and different blockbuster. The lore and society metaphors are there as always with some cringe dialogue. Also has some great visuals. Kojima would be proud!  But maybe it will be the last time they have this kind of budget.
Eddie Redmayne gives such a memorable performance (in a bad way Smile ) that I hope he gets the Oscar for the other movie.

Also saw Whiplash. Great movie, short, intense and straight to the point. JJ Jameson should get those awards. The kid was also very good.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I need a movie recommendation: What, in your opinion, is the closest thing to Broken Sword (especially Broken Sword 1), and it’s not The Da Vinci Code? (you know, mystery, history, museums, art… I could do without clowns.)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

All I can really think of is the first National Treasure movie and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Maybe one of the many King Solomon’s Mine movies. Romancing the Stone might also qualify.

It’s not really a beaten-to-death genre.

Well, I know of a few more, but I don’t think you want to see direct-to-DVD crap like Jack Hunter, The Librarian or Treasure Guards…

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 05 February 2015 04:04 PM

I need a movie recommendation: What, in your opinion, is the closest thing to Broken Sword (especially Broken Sword 1), and it’s not The Da Vinci Code? (you know, mystery, history, museums, art… I could do without clowns.)

Angels and Demons? Smile

Maybe the National Treasure movies with Nicholas Cage (but they are not very good…)

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You couldn’t do without Tom Hanks and Dan Brown, could you? Grin

Just kidding, it doesn’t look bad. And hey, that The Librarian looks like fun!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve yet to see someone top Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade in this genre. Indiana Jones is the master! Cool

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

There’s also a Librarians Tv show, never seen it.

TimovieMan - 05 February 2015 05:12 PM

I’ve yet to see someone top Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade in this genre. Indiana Jones is the master! Cool

No Temple of Doom? Poor Short Round Smile

I think Disney is probably prepping a revival of franchise, thought I have no idea how they can get a new Indy

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 05 February 2015 05:12 PM

Yeah, for example Romancing the Stone is a great movie, but I feel like it’s comedy first, adventure second. It’s a thin line. Nothing bad about that, but if someone asked me to name movie like Monkey Island, I’d say (in a very broad sense) Romancing the Stone, and never Indiana Jones. Vice versa (hey, that’s a cool movie! Grin ), for Broken Sword it’s Indy more than Romancing the Stone.

That’s if globetrotting/adventure is mandatory. Though, when I think of Broken Sword, or even Indy, my first association is “modern day history research and mystery”, so in that sense there’re probably more “simple” movies with all the ingredients, but with less traveling, treasure hunt or exotic locations. (even though to me being able visit to those actual places is almost always a “plus”, and big part of Indy/BS charm). For example, Incognito (1998) is similar to Broken Sword in that sense that it’s about American coming to Paris, having a romantic meeting there, and even though there is travel around Europe, it’s not as accented as the art/Rembrandt/art forgery part.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 05 February 2015 05:35 PM

No Temple of Doom? Poor Short Round Smile

I like Temple of Doom, but have to admit it’s a significant step down from Raiders of the Lost Ark or Last Crusade. Too little exploring and “archeology” and too much silly action, no matter how epic John Williams’ overuse of the Indy theme is… Tongue

I think Disney is probably prepping a revival of franchise, thought I have no idea how they can get a new Indy

I’d be happy if they’d retcon Kingdom of the Crystal Skull out of existence.
Maybe even go back to the script Darabont had.

As long as it doesn’t feature Shia LaBoeuf as Indy Jr. I’d prefer Sean Patrick Flanery as the now-old ‘Young’ Indiana Jones, then. Tongue
But even he doesn’t have that same charisma and star appeal that Harrison Ford had…

Whoever takes up the whip has some massive boots hat to fill… Meh

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Chris Pratt has been linked with playing Indi in the next movie. Guardians of the Galaxy has shot him into contention.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lucien21 - 07 February 2015 06:03 AM

Chris Pratt has been linked with playing Indi in the next movie. Guardians of the Galaxy has shot him into contention.

Was just reading that. Matthew Vaughn interested in directing it. I think that could work.

In other news, Spider-Man will finally be part of Marvel Cinematic Universe. New Spider-Man movie in 2017 (please not another origin story!).
There is no stopping Disney, I can’t imagine the amount of money they will make with an Avengers movie with Spider-Man Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top