• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Found several promising recent Adventure games, would like a second opinion

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2007-02-01

PM

Hey everyone, how’s it going?

So it’s like this. 2016 was a very disappointing year for me as someone that mostly plays Action and RPG titles. I can’t even remember one RPG that i enjoyed from last year. But yesterday I remembered watching some people on play quite a few adventure games that came out last year, like Downfall and….um, the Batman Taletale game, along with several others which names escape me.

Well, I’d kinda like to sorta redeem the year so to speak, and so I went on well, this site, and checked out a lot of reviews for all sorts of games from this year and 2017.

First of all, I wanna get some second opinions from people here, see what’s the most worth playing.

Secondly, I’m probably only gonna play a handful of these as my desire to play adventure games comes in small spurts a few times a year.

Best case scenario, look at the list and think of the 5 games most worth playing.

Keep in mind the main reasons I’ll want to play what I want to play are Atmosphere, and compelling characters. If I’m wrong, and any of these games doesn’t pull of both, please let me know.

Also, feel free to suggest any other games from this year and 2016, this includes non adventure games, and who knows? Maybe I missed an awesome obscure action or rpg title.

Anyways, here’s the list of promising titles from this year and the last.

Yesterday Origins

Quadrilateral Cowboy

Duke Grabowski: Mighty Swashbuckler!

The Bunker

Wailing Heights

Kelvin and the Infamous Machine

The Song of Seven: Chapter 1: Overture

Lifestream (Interactive Fiction remake)

Lost Horizon 2

Kathy Rain

Black Island

Knee Deep

The Last Door: Season Two

Shardlight

Masochisia

Again, if you could help me narrow it down to 5 games, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’ll go through the ones I’ve played.

Duke Grabowski: Mighty Swashbuckler!: Lovely graphics, but way too short and lacking in substance. I’d wait until the rest of the game comes out. This feels like a demo. Also not particularly funny, so if you’re looking for Monkey Island wit, you won’t find it here.

Wailing Heights: This one is decent. Good humor, fairly standard gameplay with a few twists. Worth a look if you can find it cheap.

Kelvin and the Infamous Machine: I very much enjoyed this for what it is. It’s a well made Lucasarts style game with some good laughs and well designed puzzles.

Lifestream (Interactive Fiction remake): This one’s pretty good. Unfortunately the remake’s choice based system makes it way too easy, but worth a play for the story alone.

Goetia: I liked this a lot. Puzzles, atmosphere and plot are all top notch however if you need lots of dialogue and character interaction, it might not be the game for you.

Lost Horizon 2: Dreadful. Avoid at all costs.

Kathy Rain: Above average retro thriller similar to (the vastly superior) Gabriel Knight. A lot of people seem to like it around here so maybe I missed something.

Shardlight: Unique setting and some interesting political intrigue, but really rather forgettable. If you really must have every post-apocalyptic game out there you might want to get it, I suppose.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

If i had to pick 5
Quadrilateral cowboy
Kelvin
Goteia
Yesterday origins
Shardlight

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2013-02-24

PM

From that list I have Played Kathy Rain and Shardlight.

Would recommend both, but especially the first one…

Also, If you’re looking for a good adventure game, Thimbleweed Park just came out. I’m still playing, but loving every minute of it.

Good gaming

Adventuring since 1986

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Out of your list, I’ve played only the Last Door 2. It’s a moody little thing, with extremely low-resolution aesthetics. It has some solid puzzles and the atmosphere is pretty damned thick in it. If you liked the first, I’d dare to say you’ll like this one as well.

If you haven’t played the first, then I’d recommend playing it first, as LD2 is a direct sequel and the story benefits from having the first one in fresh memory.

Some longer thoughts about the games: http://playernone.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-last-door-seasons-1-2.html

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Goetia
Kathy Rain
Shardlight
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine
Duke Grabowski
The Last Door: Season Two
Yesterday Origins
Lost Horizon 2

those are my pick, which also played and in order too.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would definitely say Kathy Rain...providing you are into retro graphics. I was not when I played it. But the story was compelling enough that I got through it. Maybe I even learned to enjoy the graphics by the time I finished the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Haven’t played a lot of these either, and quite a few have been on my “to-play” list for quite some time. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Advie - 30 April 2017 05:07 PM

Lost Horizon 2

Foot in mouth
You having a laugh?  Worst gamer ever

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

cyfoyjvx - 30 April 2017 08:25 PM
Advie - 30 April 2017 05:07 PM

Lost Horizon 2

Foot in mouth
You having a laugh?  Worst gamer ever

Sure, stay away from it

Joined 2007-02-01

PM

Oscar - 30 April 2017 01:03 AM

I’ll go through the ones I’ve played.

Duke Grabowski: Mighty Swashbuckler!: Lovely graphics, but way too short and lacking in substance. I’d wait until the rest of the game comes out. This feels like a demo. Also not particularly funny, so if you’re looking for Monkey Island wit, you won’t find it here.

Wailing Heights: This one is decent. Good humor, fairly standard gameplay with a few twists. Worth a look if you can find it cheap.

Kelvin and the Infamous Machine: I very much enjoyed this for what it is. It’s a well made Lucasarts style game with some good laughs and well designed puzzles.

Lifestream (Interactive Fiction remake): This one’s pretty good. Unfortunately the remake’s choice based system makes it way too easy, but worth a play for the story alone.

Goetia: I liked this a lot. Puzzles, atmosphere and plot are all top notch however if you need lots of dialogue and character interaction, it might not be the game for you.

Lost Horizon 2: Dreadful. Avoid at all costs.

Kathy Rain: Above average retro thriller similar to (the vastly superior) Gabriel Knight. A lot of people seem to like it around here so maybe I missed something.

Shardlight: Unique setting and some interesting political intrigue, but really rather forgettable. If you really must have every post-apocalyptic game out there you might want to get it, I suppose.

Wow, thanks for the explanations. Double bonus points for you!

Joined 2007-02-01

PM

Thanks everyone, your responses so far are for the most part a lot of help, and I hope that they continue.

Just one minor complaint. If you’re gonna make a list with no descriptions, please don’t list games that you think are terrible. It just confuses me.

Anyways, doing a tally of what’s been recommended so far. I took out Goetia since now I know it doesn’t have a lot of dialogue. That indeed is important to me.

Also, thanks for recommendation of Thimblewood Park. If there’s anything on this list form 2016 and onwards that you think is good and has both great atmosphere and comelling characters, please suggest em.

Oh, and I if someone says that it’s better than decent, I’ll count it as 2 votes

Yesterday Origins -2

Quadrilateral Cowboy -1

Duke Grabowski: Mighty Swashbuckler! -1

The Bunker

Wailing Heights -1

Kelvin and the Infamous Machine -3

The Song of Seven: Chapter 1: Overture

Lifestream (Interactive Fiction remake) -2

Lost Horizon Two

Kathy Rain -4

Black Island

Knee Deep

The Last Door: Season Two -2

Shardlight -2

Masochisia

—-

Thimblewood Park -2

From the way things are looking, I’ll likely play Yesterday Origins,  Kelvin, Kathy Rain, Lifestream, and Thimblewood Park.

Oh, and no love for The Bunker?

Joined 2007-02-01

PM

Wow! I didn’t expect this topic to die in one day.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

+1 for kelvin and the infamous time machine. If you like LucasArts this is the closest you will get these days. The only drawback is its short length. I haven’t played thimbleweed park yet but its reviews are really good so you might want to check it out if you haven’t played it yet. I played Kathy Rain in the community playthrough, and though the puzzles and characters and VO are all pretty good, I found the story to be lackluster, and yes there is a gabriel knight vibe to it but gk is a much better game in my opinion.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

Superrpgman - 30 April 2017 12:23 AM

Keep in mind the main reasons I’ll want to play what I want to play are Atmosphere, and compelling characters. If I’m wrong, and any of these games doesn’t pull of both, please let me know.

Also, feel free to suggest any other games from this year and 2016, this includes non adventure games, and who knows? Maybe I missed an awesome obscure action or rpg title.

If characters and atmosphere are your main focus, then in my opinion you can hardly go wrong with Firewatch (2016). It may or may not be an adventure game depending on who you ask — an interactive story or a walking simulator might be better labels, if you really want to label it — but the whole experience is rich, in turns soothing, scary and nostalgic. And the relationship between two main characters is at the heart of it all.

This space intentionally left blank.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

Out of these I’ve only played Shardlight but I must say that it covers both of what you’re looking for character/atmosphere-wise.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top