• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2015

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Should we open new telltale games topics on general gaming forum then?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

Jackal - 13 February 2016 04:13 PM

Can always count on the Aggies to generate yet another “what is an adventure game” debate. Tongue

To be clear, our site definition is, and has pretty much always been: a game that focuses on puzzle solving within a narrative framework, generally with few or no action elements.

Exploration is actually an optional element (and is just as relevant in pretty much every genre as it is to most adventure games).

Telltale was on the bubble already with TWD2 and TWAU last year, but there were at least some remnants of adventure game elements remaining. This year there really isn’t even that in their games. It’s not that we’ve changed anything; Telltale just kept pushing the envelope away from puzzles and exploration to pure story.

Personally I don’t care too much about definitions. However, in this case, games reviewed by adventuregamers were in general often colliding nicely with games I care about (mainly, anything that focuses on storytelling, preferably not having much focus on action elements) so for years I’ve been coming here for reviews and opinions on these kind of games. Excluding telltale games, firewatch, and until dawn from the site’s definition basically means me and adventuregamers’ path is starting to diverge which makes me a bit sad.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

giom - 13 February 2016 02:08 PM

I wonder if it would make sense to have an aggie category for “atmospheric” adventures without puzzles… It’s of interest to a subset of people in here….

I agree with that. And Adventure Gamers is already covering that category of games (they just don’t receive a score), so it kinda makes sense from multiple perspectives. EDIT: Or at least if you combine the different perspectives.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

The fact that Tales From The Borderlands wasn’t included in this year’s Aggies is a disgrace, in my opinion.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Matan - 14 February 2016 01:31 AM

Excluding telltale games, firewatch, and until dawn from the site’s definition basically means me and adventuregamers’ path is starting to diverge which makes me a bit sad.

The ONLY thing you’re not getting from those games is a score. Everything else is exactly the same. (Well, and year-end award eligibility.)

We understand how important these games are to people. They’re important to us too. And we really enjoy them. So we have no intention of stopping covering them. This one small difference is simply a way to distinguish the one type of game from another.

If you’re that upset about losing out on a score, then ask developers to start putting more gameplay back into their games. Wink

EDIT: Missed this earier.

giom - 13 February 2016 02:08 PM

I wonder if it would make sense to have an aggie category for “atmospheric” adventures without puzzles… It’s of interest to a subset of people in here….

We might do something like that more specifically down the road, but it would be a “Silver” Aggie thing. We already have a category for best “almost” adventure, and will again this year. All those games will be eligible for that.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

im going to guess that the reason a game like until dawn was excluded is simply because nobody on staff has had the chance to play it. Theres no feature on it, and its ps4 exclusive so very limited options to obtain it.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

You mean this no feature? Wink

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Jackal - 14 February 2016 03:37 PM

You mean this no feature? Wink

oh there it is, i kept expecting to see it somewhere else in the search Tongue
well, just a poor choice not to include it then Wink
it has much more exploration than telltales recent entries, and its puzzles and interactions may be easy and not especially inspired, but they are there.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Well, our reviewer didn’t think so at the time.

I haven’t played it, but I will say that even Duke Nukem has find-keycard-to-open-door “puzzles”, so if that’s the extent of a game’s intellectual challenge, that probably isn’t going to cut it.

br305893 - 14 February 2016 03:16 PM

The fact that Tales From The Borderlands wasn’t included in this year’s Aggies is a disgrace, in my opinion.

So, to be clear, you think it’s a disgrace that we actually adhere to the definition of adventure this site was founded on? Mmmkay.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i do have to say im glad the site is drawing a line, since things have gotten increasingly blurry, and it seems like games with the adventure label keep testing how little gameplay is possible to have. But as is the way with drawing lines, it makes things tricky Wink

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

It’s a headache, for sure. It’s like trying to hit a constantly moving target with a very imprecise instrument.

I don’t concern myself with the endless public debates about genre definitions, but absolutely every game we cover is filtered through our own definition before reaching a decision on how to cover it, and to what extent. Every single one. For those who say that our standards are applied inconsistently, I’d counter instead that no two games are exactly alike, and every decision comes down to a matter of often minimal degrees. We won’t go down that slippery slope of “you accepted X, and X is almost like Y, so you should accept Y too.” The line always has to be drawn somewhere.

Anyway… Anyone have any actual feedback on the Aggie nominations? Grin

Oh, and to answer an earlier question, the Broken Age concept in question would be the relationship between Shay’s ship and Vella’s world. You know, the whole point of the big reveal at the end of Act 1. Smile

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

zane - 14 February 2016 03:40 PM

it has much more exploration than telltales recent entries, and its puzzles and interactions may be easy and not especially inspired, but they are there.

I’d go further and say it probably had more interaction then either heavy rain or walking dead season 1, and about the same as the recent life is strange.

Also, there’s the “meta puzzle” of trying to keep everyone alive by keeping track of the chain reactions that happen throughout the story which was actually pretty cool.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I’d say I’m happy Broken Age is represented in most categories and willing to bet it will win a lot, if not the majority of them, heheh. Not taking away from its competitors, it’s just so pretty and well-crafted top to bottom. My safest bets would be best animation, setting, graphic design, music, voice acting and traditional adventure. My Schafer fanboyism shines through, I know Laughing

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I say Broken Age might take voice acting, writing and maybe music. Graphic design no chance against Stasis and animation against Armikrog

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Mr Underhill - 15 February 2016 04:52 AM

My safest bets would be best animation, setting, graphic design, music, voice acting and traditional adventure.

wilco - 15 February 2016 05:41 AM

I say Broken Age might take voice acting, writing and maybe music. Graphic design no chance against Stasis and animation against Armikrog

Best animation, perhaps. Voice acting, a fair chance. Writing not a snowballs chance in hell! In order to win the Comedy Writing Aggie, a game actually has to be .. you know .. funny! And you can say many things about BA, but that it was funny is not one of them.
(And I’m not even going to comment on its chance to win best traditional adventure)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top