• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 9 October

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

I know the title of the thread is AG “Scene” otD. Emphasis on the word Scene as in singular. However, there’s been some renewed discussion regarding E.P.I.C. Wishmaster on the casual games thread, I thouhgt I would post a few scenes because there are quite a few people who have never played it. It’s the sequel to the game TimeDreamer, and it shows the progress the designer made in terms of story, puzzles, reductions in the number of HO scenes, and all the other things we look at when we compare newer games with what came before.

The game starts with you being kidnapped from your home, where you have lived since your father’s disappearance many years ago. You find yourself on a floating island. In the screenshot above we first meet our co-conspirator Myne, who, once we escape the floating island, will be your companion for the rest of the game. To get to this point we had to solve some thought-provoking puzzles. A few border on the illogical until you solve them and, and all of a sudden you say, OK, I get it now. It is on this floating island that you will make the first of many ethical decisions. The decision on this island causes one of your kidnappers to lose his life. But that was an easy choice.

When leaving the island you and Myne are captured by slave traders, and are dropped on this God-forsaken place. It’s the krawtite mine referenced in the first game.

Obviously you and Myne will need to escape from here as well. And you are befriended by two new creatures who will assist you in this endeavor. This site is most troublesome as it was the first time one of your “ethical” decisions may well cause one of your friends to lose his life. There will be more.

You do escape this place and find yourself at a location that can best be described as a resort for pirates. Long story short: your ship needs a new captain, and you not only find one, but save the island’s population from some sort of plague at the same time.

Joy is short-lived. When you, Myne and the captain depart this place the captain returns you to a slave ship. There were reasons he did this, but that hardly matters. After stealing a valuable artifact from you, your ship and crew are literally booted into space. The ship eventually crashes, but you and your shipmates survive, although not all of you are in the best of shape. That’s Myne’s leg lying on the ground in front of the character on the right. There is a temple of sorts in the distance in front of you. You learn that it is here that your father disappeared. And so you set off to discover what happened.

E.P.I.C. Wishmaster was nominated for a Casual Community Playthrough. I think it actually won. But, it was then discovered that Big Fish Games no longer sold it. (Although it can still be downloaded by people who had purchased it earlier.) So, because of its lack of availability, the game was never played in playthrough form. The game was designed by Tiki Labs and distributed by G5 Entertainment. The only current site for the game is run by Alawar Games. How that happened I have no idea. That said, several people who attempted to download the game from that site came away with less than pleasant experiences. The game is also available from a Mac site, as well as from the Apple App Store. To the best of my knowledge the game does no run on tablets or similar hand-held devices.

If you can ever find a download source you trust, the game is well worth a play.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This is one of my favorite casual games. You have to get used to the idea that just about everything in it will be unconventional. Then settle in for a tongue-in-cheek, amusing ride. It’s the digital equivalent of an appetizer with woodpigeon, beets, and stichelton cheese.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Even though the game was released in 2011, much of the humor predates that. Every time I turned around I though “This reminds me of something in Star Trek.”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I should also say that I found the epilogue a little confusing. I.e. that part where you are old what happened to all the characters while the credits roll. There were multiple mentions of Steven, who I assume was our protagonist, Susan’s, brother. He may have been mentioned at the beginning of the game, and I missed it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

This is also available at the Mac (not iTunes) App Store. It played fine, but required some fiddling around and reinstalling and so forth. I think I played the first chapter four times. (But it’s a good chapter!)

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top