• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissiediego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

What is interesting is that the name Van Persie will be listed under P in a register in the Netherlands.
However, in Belgium this is not the case. There it would be listed under V.

But like I said: In the Netherlands you always write and speak out the preposition.
I have never heard Bommel, Wiel, Persie, Boer, Nistelrooy in my life. They are always accompanied by their respective preposition van, van der, van, de, van.

Also interesting tidbit: the preposition is only written with a capital if the first name isn’t given. So it’s Robin van Persie or Van Persie.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Origami - 21 October 2016 12:28 PM

What is interesting is that the name Van Persie will be listed under P in a register in the Netherlands.
However, in Belgium this is not the case. There it would be listed under V.

But like I said: In the Netherlands you always write and speak out the preposition.
I have never heard Bommel, Wiel, Persie, Boer, Nistelrooy in my life. They are always accompanied by their respective preposition van, van der, van, de, van.

Also interesting tidbit: the preposition is only written with a capital if the first name isn’t given. So it’s Robin van Persie or Van Persie.

That’s interesting. Being listed under P makes sense since putting all under V would make a whole lot of names there, no? Weird that Belgium does it differently.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Origami - 21 October 2016 07:47 AM

*Van Persie

Origami - 21 October 2016 02:40 PM

But in my expierence Turkey is steadily becoming more and more progressive and that trend isn’t stopping anytime soon.

Origami - 21 October 2016 11:21 AM

Isn’t that how languages work?

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

nomadsoul exposed so has to revert to gifs again

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 21 October 2016 01:13 PM

That’s interesting. Being listed under P makes sense since putting all under V would make a whole lot of names there, no? Weird that Belgium does it differently.

So we have a disproportionately large amount of people whose last name starts with a V. So? If your last name is Van Persie, then that’s spelled with a V. The other way around is just weird. Where do you draw the line? Is van der Wiel listed under W? Would you put Linda de Mol under M?

There’s also the difference that we actually write last names that have prepositions with capital letters (Van Der Wiel instead of van der Wiel), so that adds to the reasoning. Very few people have a last name where the preposition doesn’t start with a capital letter (and those that don’t likely have Dutch roots). Heck, most won’t even have any spaces in the name. So you’re more likely to find a Vanderwiel than a Van Der Wiel here. And a van der Wiel would be extremely rare (and will undoubtedly have Dutch roots). Another reason to list the name under V. Tongue

Origami - 21 October 2016 12:28 PM

Well, like I said, in most cases, the preposition is officially written with a capital letter to start with…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

TimovieMan - 21 October 2016 05:09 PM

Well, like I said, in most cases, the preposition is officially written with a capital letter to start with…

I am sorry. I forgot to specify that that is how it works in Dutch.
For us the prepositions are never in capital letters given it is preceded by the first name.

Would you put Linda de Mol under M?

You gave this example because the preposition is almost as long as the noun right?
Otherwise I want to point out that Linda is her first name.
And as little sense as it would make for us it is put under the M, we do put it under the M. =P

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Origami - 21 October 2016 05:26 PM

I am sorry. I forgot to specify that that is how it works in Dutch.
For us the prepositions are never in capital letters given it is preceded by the first name.

I know, I was just explaining one of the major differences between name-giving in both countries. In Belgium, the Van-preposition is officially written with a capital letter to begin with. Gold medalist Greg Van Avermaet, for instance. Listed under V, of course. Innocent

You gave this example because the preposition is almost as long as the noun right?

It was just the first name I could come up with that started with ‘de’.

Otherwise I want to point out that Linda is her first name.

LOL. I do know that. Tongue

And as little sense as it would make for us it is put under the M, we do put it under the M. =P

But then you go around making “dumb Belgian”-jokes, and not expect us to make the exact same jokes with the nationalities switched? Tongue Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

TimovieMan - 22 October 2016 08:10 AM

But then you go around making “dumb Belgian”-jokes, and not expect us to make the exact same jokes with the nationalities switched? Tongue Grin

I was close to making such a joke 2 posts ago but managed to restrain myself.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Origami - 22 October 2016 08:20 AM

I was close to making such a joke 2 posts ago but managed to restrain myself.

Grin

Belgium and the Netherlands. Vitriolic Best Buds. Smile

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Pfff…..what a game. Almost died.

El Messiah to the rescue once more.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So lucky! Valencia had plenty of chances in the last 10min. No doubt about the penalty, dumb foul

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

r.i.p. Iniesta though. On a speedy recovery. =(

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Chelsea - Man u.

Such humiliation. Happy for Conte and Pedro.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Mourinho such a gentleman, giving points to his old team Tongue
Man United might not even be up for a champions league spot if they keep playing like this.
But Man City and Arsenal also didn’t win… Premier League is so entertaining, everybody can lose points, although La Liga also seems to be more balanced this year.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Honestly, I hope Ronaldo manages to score this game against Bilbao. He is having a bad performance again but having the supporters whistle is too much. He can have that goal to shut them up.

Nice game by the way. Bilbao has good build-up.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top