• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissiediego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Monkey Island 25 year - Gilbert wanting to complete his trilogy

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

A good read about Monkey Island: http://grumpygamer.com/monkey25 .

Teaser:

I don’t know if I will ever get to make another Monkey Island. I always envisioned the game as a trilogy and I really hope I do, but I don’t know if it will ever happen. Monkey Island is now owned by Disney and they haven’t shown any desire to sell me the IP. I don’t know if I could make Monkey Island 3a without complete control over what I was making and the only way to do that is to own it. Disney: Call me.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

new IP please!  (Sir Gilbert). and it could be as good as MIs, whats the big deal…

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I prefer both and because new ip from Gilbert is already secured with Thimbleweed Park, I would say big YES for making MI3a if it is ever possible! Nothing is over and hope dies last Smile

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Monkey Island has 4 games, and one “episodic” series. There’s no the “original trilogy”. Monkey Island 1/2 isn’t all about Ron Gilbert, no matter how I admire the guy. It was also Tim Schafer, Dave Grossman… it was Steve Purcell’s art, Michael Land’s music… it was LUCAS ARTS! And Lucas Arts made the “third game” (and what a game that is!)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Monkey Island has 25 years already?...

Has much as I think you shouldn’t dismiss the other 3 Monkey Island games I would be interested in seeing the direction Ron would take after the ridiculous Monkey island 2 ending. And of course that would also mean a new MI, so I would be all over it.

But Disney giving up complete control over an IP they own…........... not going to happen

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

wilco - 04 September 2015 09:16 AM

...I would be interested in seeing the direction Ron would take after the ridiculous Monkey island 2 ending.

So would I.
I’d like to know where he was going with that mess at the end of MI2.
We never found out.
MI3 just sort of skipped over it withough any real explanation.

Of course Disney won’t be any help.
They pulled the Special editions of Monkey Island 1 and 2 from the iPad shop without explanation.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Secret+of+Monkey+Island+Special+Edition+for+iPad/news.asp?c=64928

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 04 September 2015 08:54 AM

Monkey Island has 4 games, and one “episodic” series. There’s no the “original trilogy”. Monkey Island 1/2 isn’t all about Ron Gilbert, no matter how I admire the guy. It was also Tim Schafer, Dave Grossman… it was Steve Purcell’s art, Michael Land’s music… it was LUCAS ARTS! And Lucas Arts made the “third game” (and what a game that is!)

I agree.
It would be nice to see a new Mi game, and it would also be nice to see if Ron Gilbert could somehow follow up on that non sequitur ending of MI 2 and make it make sense, but there isn’t any missing part of a trilogy that I’m waiting for.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Seeing as how I consider The Curse of Monkey Island the best adventure game of all time, I’m not waiting for Monkey Island 3a either. I’d rather he just told us what the idea behind that messed up Gainax Ending of MI2 was…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

wilco - 04 September 2015 09:16 AM

I would be interested in seeing the direction Ron would take after the ridiculous Monkey island 2 ending.

Blasphemy. It was awesome.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

TimovieMan - 04 September 2015 12:25 PM

Seeing as how I consider The Curse of Monkey Island the best adventure game of all time, I’m not waiting for Monkey Island 3a either. I’d rather he just told us what the idea behind that messed up Gainax Ending of MI2 was…

There is no idea. They kept putting off the ending and then ran out of time and threw something together. He talks about it in a recent Retronauts podcast.

His attitude towards adventure gaming irritates me, he totally embodies that super conservative “nothing should have changed in the genre after 1991, including graphics” mindset.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ron Gilbert dreaming:

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i had to look the word ‘actual’ Tongue ;it turned to be existing in reality

lets see what really existing in the reality of Ron

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I mean, I would play it… and Disney is doing nothing with the IP.

License it out, Diz.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’d just start making it anyway if I were him. He created Monkey Island. Disney suing him for stealing “their” IP would be a PR disaster.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

If only there were Ron fans at Sony like Tim ones.
Ron should hang around more like Tim.

I dont know if Sony efforts to bring back GF and Dott remakes done any favors to their business.

But, Monkeyisland could be better bet.

First prove it with Thinbleweed park.

Total Posts: 1623

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I really like monkey island 1 and 2 and im all for gilbert making another one but….......... monkey island 3 is actually my favorite monkey island. So I would hate for it to be erased in the canon of monkey island

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top