• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PC Gamer arranges twenty-five adventure games in list format. THE OFFICIAL THREAD.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

tomimt, I wouldn’t put you in my “Top 100 AdventureGamers users that don’t talk s***” either. 

Actually, I’m doubtful if I could even find 10.  Pan

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Zifnab - 25 October 2014 09:05 AM

tomimt, I wouldn’t put you in my “Top 100 AdventureGamers users that don’t talk s***” either. 

Actually, I’m doubtful if I could even find 10.  Pan

hyyy pal, I am here Nerd

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Advie, you would be #1. Always. Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Fair list, hard to argue with that top 3.

thejobloshow - 24 October 2014 08:52 PM

I feel the list does a disservice to new adventure games. There’s no way I agree with 23 or 11 being listed alongside the greatest titles in the history of the genre. Where did Papers, Please go? That was only last year and has already proven itself to be a classic. Kentucky Route Zero, Resonance, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter…. This website took a crazy risk by listing Portal 2 in its top ten greatest adventure games of all time. I would like to have seen more calculated choices like that for recent releases.

Between Gone Home, Walking Dead, Blackwell series, To the Moon I think there is a fair representation of newer games. KRZ is not finished yet, it will probably be there when it is.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Zifnab ma man Wink

tomimt - 25 October 2014 08:53 AM

I wouldn’t put Myst even on my top 100 really.

seriously tommit I was gonna ask you why the fuck you ignore my reply, but them reading your post about Myst, you wouldn’t value enough for me to care what do/would you say!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Advie - 25 October 2014 09:24 AM

seriously tommit I was gonna ask you why the fuck you ignore my reply, but them reading your post about Myst, you wouldn’t value enough for me to care what do/would you say!

Because most of the time I don’t even have a clue what you’re talking about.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yea yea..

—————-

how do you consider a game that is behind ( a sub genre called ag-Myst-like) 100s of ags which are based on it, out off of the top 100.
if I don’t make enough sense for you then I don’t know what can you call this (told by you).

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 25 October 2014 09:24 AM

Gee Advie, people ignore my posts all the time. If I cared about that, I wouldn’t have a life.

It does bug me sometimes when I put a lot of time and effort in my post.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I think it’s a pretty decent list - there’s a lot of great games up here, definitely a few I would have put on that didn’t make it, but for one guy’s list of 25 great adventure games, it’s not bad at all.

Lists are definitely subjective, and not everyone has the same taste - lists are mostly good for either getting some ideas of what you should choose to play in the future if you have not played them, or inciting riotous debate!

Bt

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

tomimt - 25 October 2014 04:18 AM
Lambonius - 25 October 2014 01:15 AM

I was all ready to get outraged at this list, but then I saw who wrote it, and now I can only shake my head and quietly laugh to myself.

What’s wrong with it other than your dislike for the author? That’s through and through pretty solid list.

Heh…nothing.  Smile  The only thing that really annoys me about it is something that annoys me whenever ANYONE makes a list like this—and that’s the absolute declarative nature of the title.  THE Top 25 Adventure Games—I wish they’d just say MY Top 25 Adventure Games—it’d feel much less snotty that way.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Richard Cobbett has been a Myst-hater ever since it was first released.
It’s no surprise you don’t find anything resembling Myst on his list.
His list is mostly good games, though my personal top 25 would contain some “Myst-types” (Obsidian, Riven, Schizm…) and I’d have a hard time putting them in any sort of “order.”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Myst and Last express were gamechangers, they gave AG genre a new voice.

Had far reaching impact.

Not just TV series, there are many Directors and Actors
who played Myst and take it as serious form of gaming.

Last express was mechanically, way ahead of its time.

Sometimes somethings need credit and putting games like these below
TWD.

Well.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

nomadsoul - 25 October 2014 01:13 PM

Had far reaching impact.

Not just TV series, there are many Directors and Actors
who played Myst and take it as serious form of gaming.

Last express was mechanically, way ahead of its time.

Sometimes somethings need credit and putting games like these below
TWD.

Well.

But why would that matter if you do not like the game? It’s not a list of the most influential games, it’s what the author thinks are the best games. There’s a big difference there.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

All I want from a “Top ___” list is for the listmaker to seem reasonably well-versed in the subject he or she is covering, to suggest some things that I haven’t read/seen/played/thought about, and to have interesting opinions that sometimes help add to the understanding of why something is so widely beloved and sometimes buck assumptions about other things that maybe not everyone loves as much or as little as the listmaker does.

And, ideally, the list should inspire a fun discussion.

This particular list seems totally fine to me, by those admittedly lenient standards. Smile

Lambonius - 25 October 2014 01:02 PM

Heh…nothing.  Smile  The only thing that really annoys me about it is something that annoys me whenever ANYONE makes a list like this—and that’s the absolute declarative nature of the title.  THE Top 25 Adventure Games—I wish they’d just say MY Top 25 Adventure Games—it’d feel much less snotty that way.

Well, that is probably down to PC Gamer and the general culture of listmaking more than it is down to Richard Cobbett. There’s something about “The Top ____” that makes many listmakers tend to favor it as a headline over “My Top ____” or “Our magazine staff’s Top ____” or “The results of our poll for the Top ____.” Grin

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 25 October 2014 01:13 PM

Had far reaching impact.

World is full of gamechangers I wouldn’t put on my top lists. When it comes down to it the only thing I really care is if I like it or not.

I do acknowledge their impact, but that doesn’t mean I have to like them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top