• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielNeuromancer.utopian

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #33: Scratches

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Ok, finally I managed to resolve the damn glitch. The GOG guys took a bit of time to get to my support ticket (damn you Witcher!), but when they managed, they delivered. I can now play the game correctly. Apparently, it was my monitor which failed to adapt to the resolution of the game. I had to check the GPU scaling and it worked.

I’ve only just begun exploring. And I guess I just discovered a bug on my journal. I’ve only just answered the phone when entering the house, and talked with Jerry. After this, I checked the lights and read the diary and tried to use the phone, but Michael said he didn’t remember the number. So, I checked my journal and there it was an entry saying Jerry would arrange for the electrician to come to the house, heh! Grin

Also, this is a case of sound and music really setting the mood of the game. Just after entering the house, hearing only the music and the clock sounds and nothing more, it really amplifies the fact that you are alone in an old distant house.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m still in Day Two. I’ve done everything except go down into the basement. Since I’ve played the game before, I know what awaits.

Do I really have to do this?

Maybe I’ll experiment and see if I can make it through the basement with my eyes closed.

I’m curious about designing a game like Scratches—where the surroundings are lovely and only slightly creepy at first, gradually becoming creepier—when compared to designing a game like Asylum—where the surroundings automatically speak of restriction and mental anguish (and probably aren’t lovely). Do you attempt to tone down the horror at first in a setting that’s already pretty terrifying?

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished Day Three, but it wasn’t easy. I probably need to wait until more people are done before discussing my problems because they would contain some REALLY big spoilers.

The “Bonus Chapter,” The Last Visit, remains to be played. Are we waiting until everyone has completed the main game before opening it?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 27 May 2015 12:25 PM

The “Bonus Chapter,” The Last Visit, remains to be played. Are we waiting until everyone has completed the main game before opening it?

No need for that. Since many of us are playing the standard version of the game and not the Director’s Cut, each player is free to play the extra chapter on his/her own. I’m sure there will be plenty of room for discussion about that as well.
After all it is very small too….

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Oops, sorry about the missing spoiler tag. I’ve been a terrible commentator—this week has been all kinds of busy and we’re preparing a hefty Asylum update for next Friday. I’ll be back ASAP with replies/comments/trivia Smile

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Agustín Cordes - 27 May 2015 01:03 PM

Oops, sorry about the missing spoiler tag. I’ve been a terrible commentator—this week has been all kinds of busy and we’re preparing a hefty Asylum update for next Friday. I’ll be back ASAP with replies/comments/trivia Smile

Nah, don’t be harsh with yourself.
We are glad you are with us anyway! Smile

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I haven’t finished yet, but I have gotten to the point where I have found the secret room in the chapel.

A few notes on the story (while it is fresh in memory):

The Blackwood’s and Dr. Milton conspired to kill the child, because he had some kind of condition?

We saw someone during the night.
Blackwood account still active.
One empty coffin!
Michael believes that James might still be alive and roaming the place, but if anything I believe it must be Catherine that is still alive, if for no other reason because of the scared look of the body, which would fit better with James’ hearth attack (scared to death)

Milton and Catherine conspiring behind James back, perhaps they are even having an affair?
Catherine talking to other doctors than Milton, including some psychiatrist.
Catherine’s body was never found, confirms my suspicion that she might still be alive.

James going completely bonkers and are obsessed with the mask and the African tribe story, perhaps this is orchestrated by Catherine and Milton in order to declare James insane or drive him to suicide (actual or staged), so they can live happily ever after together.
The tribe story might also be true.
It might be true and orchestrated at the same time, meaning Milton and Catherine might have been plotting to get rid of James, but then the whole curse thing backfired and hit them instead.

Either way, regardless of how everything is connected, the story has me intrigued and I’m very curious to see where all of this takes us - But so far it seem like my earlier suspicion, that there is also more earthbound things going on, was not completely wrong.

I don’t know if this is a bug or I somehow screwed things up, but: I remembered seeing a phone-number for the bank in the safe and now that the phone was working again, I wanted to call them. Unfortunately I had lost my note where I had written it down, so I wanted to check it again, but for some reason I couldn’t move the painting to actually get into the safe, and instead I had to look up the number in a walkthrough.

EDIT: Scratch that, it turns out that it was not a bug, but that I had just screwed things up - I’m too embarrassed to tell you exactly how Meh

This also bring up another issue, why can’t we pick up all those different documents, so we don’t have to return if we want to read them again?
If it was for real, then I know that it would be my first priority!

There are quite a few difficult puzzles in this day, which I like, but unfortunately not all are equally well designed. There are far to many cases where you have to use an exact tool, even though another would have worked just as well. Not in itself a huge problem, and a quite common problem in AG, but it also means that if you overlook an item, like the pliers in the toolbox in the garage (which I did Shifty Eyed), then you can spend a loot of time aimlessly wandering the premises without knowing what you are looking for or where to find it.

The block puzzle in the child’s room, to get the combination to the box, would have worked much better if we could actually manipulate the blocks. I had to look up the solution in a walkthrough, mainly because I didn’t realise that they were important, as we couldn’t interact with them in any way whatsoever.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 27 May 2015 03:04 PM

...I had to look up the solution in a walkthrough…

I would just like to remind everyone that there is no need to consult in walkthroughs!!
Whenever anyone gets stuck, it is easy for the rest of us to give a hint to the right direction…

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Izno,
I visited the hidden room twice the first time I played the game because it dawned on me that I might need those letters and numbers later in the game.

I haven’t started the 3rd day yet.  I spent most of the day rehanging pictures on my newly painted walls, but I should be able to get to the game tonight.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Seeing as Iz has started the comments, I might as well jump in.

Regarding the bank - You have to go past the painting, then turn around. You will see the hinges on the left side of the painting. Click on them and the safe will open. Of course you’ve already looked up the number, so that knowledge will do you no good whatsoever.

Regarding the Chapel - I found the nail quickly, and found where to put it quickly as well. I immediately noticed the INRI standard. I even hit it with the crowbar. But I failed to look down. When I finally saw the slab in the floor and moved it, I no longer made the connection with the INRI standard. I must have putzed around for 15 minutes before I solved the puzzle.

Regarding the desk puzzle - If there was an external clue that hinted at how to open the box I never saw it. This was a “brute force” solution. I don’t know how many permutations and combinations of possible moves there are - with only one being correct - but it was too many. I didn’t like this puzzle at all.

Phone numbers - I’m not sure why all the phone numbers that one had to call were not pre-entered as options. Or at least entered when the number was discovered. I accidentally transposed two numbers in one of the numbers we needed to dial. I got a busy signal. And kept getting a busy signal without knowing why. I discovered my error quite by accident. But had I not, this would have been a problem that would have kept me from proceeding. A simple “You have dialed a number that is not in service. Please check your number and dial again.” message would have solved everything.

The clock - Even though you had all the required equipment and information to find Catherine’s grave, you can’t do it until after a certain time. ????

Relationships - I can see why Iz’s relationship guide makes sense, but I don’t agree. There are notes that indicate that Catherine and Milton are having some sort of affair. Possibly brought on by JB’s long absences on business. There’s also a note that has JB encouraging Milton to commit murder. We also don’t know who or what is in the small coffin because we didn’t open it. We also know that the body in the large coffin isn’t Catherine’s, because she is buried on the grounds. My guess is that the coffin body is the maid. That leaves JB, Milton and son, Robin, unaccounted for. One must be the entity in the basement. Another must be the entity providing sustenance to the basement person. (Thus, alive but unaccounted for.) Leaving the third in limbo somewhere.

Endgame - Again, this is something that cannot be accomplished until the clock rings a certain time. Aside from that, I must have played the sequence ten times before coming to the conclusion that EVERYTHING there is to do must be done. That includes finding/reading every possible thing/subtitle before you can reach the final scene. Many of those things were, to me, totally irrelevant to actually finding the entity.

Identities - I’ve given my thoughts as to who might be who, but I really have no clue. I hope somebody found some evidence I missed that will clear this up.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

There are quite a few difficult puzzles in this day, which I like, but unfortunately not all are equally well designed. There are far to many cases where you have to use an exact tool, even though another would have worked just as well. Not in itself a huge problem, and a quite common problem in AG, but it also means that if you overlook an item

Yes, this was a problem for me too - and also I didn’t like the fact that this game has too many key fetches. Something more original would have been nice.

However, despite this I’ve enjoyed the game so far and have almost finished it.

The horror aspects just keep getting better and better….........

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood DONT READ rtrooney’s post about “The clock”, “realtionships”, “Identities” and “Endgame”!!! At least not yet. It reveals many things you have not find yet and you’ll get spoiled!!!

rtrooney - 27 May 2015 07:32 PM

Regarding the desk puzzle - If there was an external clue that hinted at how to open the box I never saw it. This was a “brute force” solution. I don’t know how many permutations and combinations of possible moves there are - with only one being correct - but it was too many. I didn’t like this puzzle at all.

Solution for the combination:
Tip 1: Could the solution be someone loved from James and Catherin?
Tip 2: One of the first things someone learns is his own name.
Tip 3: Look better in the crypt and the baby’s room.
Full spoiler of the solution:We already know the first letter of James and Catherine’s child is “R” from the small baby tomb in the crypt. We can also see in the baby’s room that the boxes with the letters “O”,“B”, “I” and “N” are on the floor. We can safely assume that his name was Robin and the corresponding numbers according to the numbered boxes is 5909.

The clock - Even though you had all the required equipment and information to find Catherine’s grave, you can’t do it until after a certain time. ????

Now, as for the solution of this particular riddle: You already know that the maid took a photo of James digging a body. If you see this photo, you’ll notice the shadow of the tower right in front of the location he buries her. The shadow appears only at 04:00 pm (the maid also gives a tip about the hour in one of her letters to her mother). And we know from the photo the exact burial place is in the top of that shadow.

Relationships
Identities
Endgame

My idea of the story is this :
(Don’t read until you finish the game of course)

James Blackwood brings the mask to the manor
James and Catherine give birth to a baby, a son named Robin. He is terribly deformed and ill-behavioured (see: curse from the mask) and they decide to hide him all together in the basement, claiming to the press he died on birth. Milton helped them of course (the “terrible thing” that is written in Milton’s letters to Catherine).
They take care of him, hiding him in the basement’s dungeon, away from everyone’s eyes (remember Eva’s letter concerning the strange behaviour from everyone?)
After some years, Robin slices his mother’s throat with his bare teeth, Catherine dies a victim of Robin’s violence and the mask’s curse. James tries to hide the body, but Eva (the maid) sees him. James takes full responsibility.
With Milton’s help James fakes his own death and leaves away in secret, while leaving the manor to Milton. Milton from now on takes care of Robin. James makes sure they have more than enough money through his bank account.
Later on, Milton dies too. James returned for one more time and puts his friend in the JB coffin so that no outsider may ever susspect that he, James Blackwood is still alive. Why he chose to leave his wife burried in the garden, or why Milton didn’t put her in the crypt before is something I cannot yet explain. Perhaps from fear of the curse or being seen by someone else. James left quickly afterwards.
Meanwhile, Robin lived in the basement like a total scavenger, fully distorted and almost zombified by the mask’s corruptive influence and his isolation/bad living conditions. It is unclear whether or not James comes from time to time to take care of his son. (and yes, the small teddy bear with a ripped throat we find just seconds before the ending makes clear that the being in the basement’s dungeon is Robin and he was the one that actually killed his mother)
And that’s where Michael comes in….

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished the game. Overall, quite good in my opinion.

The end got me big time, didn’t see that coming at all.

“Identities - I’ve given my thoughts as to who might be who, but I really have no clue. I hope somebody found some evidence I missed that will clear this up.”

I don’t either - no obvious choices to me, a good conversation topic for us here.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 27 May 2015 03:27 PM
Iznogood - 27 May 2015 03:04 PM

...I had to look up the solution in a walkthrough…

I would just like to remind everyone that there is no need to consult in walkthroughs!!
Whenever anyone gets stuck, it is easy for the rest of us to give a hint to the right direction…

Yeah I know, but the thing is that I hate stopping when I’m (otherwise) on a roll, just because I get stuck at a puzzle. Taking a pause to think about it, perhaps, but I’m too impatient to wait for what could be a whole day for a hint Wink

Lady Kestrel - 27 May 2015 03:54 PM

Izno,
I visited the hidden room twice the first time I played the game because it dawned on me that I might need those letters and numbers later in the game.

Sefir - 28 May 2015 02:06 AM

Full spoiler of the solution:We already know the first letter of James and Catherine’s child is “R” from the small baby tomb in the crypt. We can also see in the baby’s room that the boxes with the letters “O”,“B”, “I” and “N” are on the floor. We can safely assume that his name was Robin and the corresponding numbers according to the numbered boxes is 5909.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually think it is a pretty clever puzzles, it is just that I think that the link to using letters to solve a number puzzle, is too weak.

I actually did notice those blocks in the children room, but since they are non-interactive, then I kind of wrote them of as background noise, similar to the many other objects in the house. Had we been able to interact with then, like the bicycle in the garage (which I suspect we will need to recharge the car battery), then I would have know it was needed for some puzzle at some time, and I would perhaps had made the connection.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 28 May 2015 02:06 AM

I was either misinterpreted or mis-spoke. Probably both. I found the numerical solution to the combination fairly simple. Although finding and reading the number on the R block took a little time. I was referring to the outer box that required manual moving of parts and clicking of various parts of the liner.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top